Hearing Assistance and Microphone Speaker during Cosplay?

joe

Active Hunter
I'm looking into solutions so people can hear me talk when I'm in costume.

I was going to go with this wireless speaker below since I don't want more wires considering I already have fans with wires running into my helmet to stay cool.

Does anyone have a kit they can suggest for like a microphone outside of my costume as a way to hear people better around me with my helmet fans on or is it not really worth the effort?

Has anyone tried amplifying external sounds in their helmet with success?

In one of the helmets that I've since sold, I disassembled these headphones and used the mic and earphones to amplify ambient sounds outside of my helmet. It worked really well, but my helmet was crowded.
howard leight impact.jpg

They're pricey but there are other less expensive options out there. I used the Honeywell Howard Leight Impact earmuffs. I shoot a lot so I had a couple of extra pairs to play with.

My hearing aid is one of these

I drilled out a hole on each side of the helmet where my ears are, behind the left earcap and in the space between the right earcaps. I removed the band on a pair of cheap Sony headphones and velcroed them in place. It does make everything snug, but it also has the benefit of keeping the bucket on my head straight without foam padding.

My hearing aid is one of these

I drilled out a hole on each side of the helmet where my ears are, behind the left earcap and in the space between the right earcaps. I removed the band on a pair of cheap Sony headphones and velcroed them in place. It does make everything snug, but it also has the benefit of keeping the bucket on my head straight without foam padding.

I'm confused as to what this is... do I need to plug something into it or is it a speaker already?

In one of the helmets that I've since sold, I disassembled these headphones and used the mic and earphones to amplify ambient sounds outside of my helmet. It worked really well, but my helmet was crowded. View attachment 187125

They're pricey but there are other less expensive options out there. I used the Honeywell Howard Leight Impact earmuffs. I shoot a lot so I had a couple of extra pairs to play with.

I've used these before at the range. Do you have a photo of how you disassembled them? I definitely don't have enough room in my helmet to put these in it even if I removed the band.

I'm confused as to what this is... do I need to plug something into it or is it a speaker already?

It's the microphones and board, powered by 4 AA batteries as a kit, so soldering is required. It doesn't come with the speakers/headphones but comes with a 3.5mm headphone jack so you can plug in your own headphones.

Sorry, Joe. I don't have pics, but i remember extending the mic cable to reach the front of the helmet on the cheek and glued it in place.

I’m just about to mount my Vellemen mk136 super stereo ear external audio pickup device so I can hear people with the helmet on. I have fans in my helmet making it near immediately to hear people at a troop or convention.
I also use an Aker voice amp and don’t want to hear my own amplified voice while I speak being picked up loudly by the mics if they are in the helmet so I’m thinking of an alternate location for the mics. Perhaps in the belt pouches or just under the shoulder bells. I like the belt pouch idea as it would house the board, batteries and mics. I would just need to run a wire to the earphones/buds in the helmet.
Let me know what you guys think. I’m leaning towards the pouches. Thanks guys!

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back