Flak vest tackle twill question

dellorama

New Hunter
IMG_7038.jpg I recently attempted to make a flak vest versus buying one. It came out exceptionally well, but i have a question about the material itself. I made it out of tackle twill, however one side is really shiny, and the other side is not so shiny. Which side should i face outwards? I did some preliminary research and thought the shiny side should face out, but the more pictures i see, it seems to be the opposite. What's the general consensus?

I'm no expert, but the ESB images seem to show a shimmer which would suggest the shiny side should be out if going with ESB.

You need to have the shiny side out for the vest and the dull side out for the neck seal or vice versa. Either combo works. Apparently they used both in the movies so the important part to have the neck seal and the vest with the opposite sides facing out.
Personally, I went dull side out on the vest and I'm glad I did. I like the less glossy look.

edit: I should say that I went ESB. I have no idea if it's the same for ROTJ or the Special Editions.

All this dull vs shiny side is 501st nonsense.
The original material was not tackle twill and this is well known.
The material originally used has a sheen to it and has been weathered over the top. Depending on which original suit you are looking to imitate it could be duller or shinier, just weather appropriately. :)

Go shiny side all the way.

The exact original material has not been found.
There may be have been slight variations used for different films,tour suits etc.
Tackle twill resembles the sheen and texture of the original material and is a good choice for those reasons. However it is too thick and stiff to truly look the part.
dellorama, I love that you made your own vest! I'm hoping this side discussion isn't discouraging you.
I just wanted to make sure you didn't feel obligated to adhere to the old and incorrect "shiny vs dull" fabric side debate.

P.S. I own a tackle twill vest myself and love it.

I always thought it might be some sort of simple lightweight fabric. When I was a kid we used to have lightweight waterproofs (that weren't waterproof) called cagoules. They were very light and flexible. They were also cheap. Probably nylon. Something like Pertex is a brand name of this type of thing people might easily be able to relate to. I not saying pertex per se but that type of thing. Nearly everything was Nylon in the 70s.

I was looking at old pictures trying to match my flak vest color to the original and came to that exact conclusion! The tackle twill is a lot stiffer and wouldn't crease/ wrinkle the way the original did. Glad to hear confirmation of what I was thinking!

It's something I thought about a while back and when the Allinger book came out it really struck me. Hopefull I'll get a good look when star wars exhibition comes to London in November but that's my opinon on it anyway. An umbrella is another thing people might relate to. That kind of tight, windproof nylon construction. These types of fabrics have sheen but flex far more easily than tackle twill.

I still think the material is more akin to what used to be used on old playplaces. The fake leather-looking material with the black backing.

That vest looks great! Yeah, based on reference photo's I've seen I would definitely go sheen on both flak and neck seal...but weather appropriately. The vest looks to be darker than the neck seal so I would weather the vest darker but try and maintain a bit of a sheen. My 2 cents anyways.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back