First Time Build - Boba Fett Helmet - Cardboard - FINISHED

other side done. bad news is, I burnt another finger off. This time, rather than simply touching the hot glue, I squirted it through a gap straight onto my finger underneath...
This side went on a lot easier, and is much cleaner.
2016-05-06 17.54.55.jpg2016-05-06 17.54.39.jpg2016-05-06 17.55.10.jpg

2016-05-06 17.54.39.jpg

2016-05-06 17.54.55.jpg

2016-05-06 17.55.10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This Is coming along nicely.

Careful...You're down to 8 fingers now....

other side done. bad news is, I burnt another finger off. This time, rather than simply touching the hot glue, I squirted it through a gap straight onto my finger underneath...
This side went on a lot easier, and is much cleaner.

There are several guys out there doing the same thing you are (including me). Looks like you are making good progress. I made the same mistake on the right to left mix up mine was done when I used the circle part upside down on accident and flip flopped the left and right side. Just keep at it, there are some great looking cardboard helmets out there, just try not to rush it too much. You are doing a great job so far!

Cheers :D Im trying to take my time as much as possible, doing 1 part a day. Today was to do the cheeks and I have done that, although I feel that they could be tidier, but I suppose a lot of clean up work is done with the bondo layer. I've just put the cheeks inner support on and clamped them over night to dry. What purpose do they actually serve though? Just makes that area a little more solid?

Tomorrow, I will do the coin slot at the back I think, and maybe get the dome support on.

Not done a whole lot today. Did the rear coin slot thingy, but not attached yet. is it supposed to have a gap and be quite square? I put the strips eitherside as suggested, but not entirely sure how it attaches.

Tomorrow I will work on the dome. Maybe get half of it done, depends how long cutting it all out takes..

2016-05-07 21.38.12.jpg2016-05-07 21.38.34.jpg2016-05-07 21.41.04.jpg

2016-05-07 21.38.12.jpg

2016-05-07 21.38.34.jpg

2016-05-07 21.41.04.jpg

Not done too much today. Done the coin slot again as it was a bit messy, Attached with some tape for now, as want to be able to clean it up easier with bondo, or maybe even make cast of it and ear pieces (not decided yet). Started cutting and shaping some dome sections, can already tell that it's going to be a pain in the ass to fit them all on there. Is it better to glue the individual strands together and then glue the section on? Or just do each bit at a time...
Will start getting them attached tomorrow..

2016-05-08 20.21.55.jpg2016-05-08 20.22.24.jpg

2016-05-08 20.21.55.jpg

2016-05-08 20.22.24.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race with cardboard helmets,

Looking good so far nice clean cuts are important otherwise it gets all fury and adds to the clean up at the end

Good job

Yeah Im trying to make sure my blade stays nice and sharp so that things can stay clean.A lot of the paper is coming off of the card on my build, especially at the front, so don't know whether to take it all off once its done? Only put on with a Pritt stick, and seems to come off without taking card with it for the most part.

So far the template has been fairly forgiving in regards to cutting accuracy etc...1mm out or so, and it seems fine still. Dome however is having none of it.1 piece of the dome 1mm out on cutting lines, messes whole thing up. Luckily not glued too many sections on before realising how far out it was. if anything, cut too much off of the dome sections to avoid alignment issues!

BOBA LIVES!

What a pain in the ass! I did make a pretty silly errors when making the actual helmet. Wondered to myself, why have the dome support facing upwards? Easier to align with support facing down? Yeah...but then when putting segments for dome in, everything becomes inverted (doh!) But got it on, and I'm relatively pleased with it. Had to 'modify' a few segments to make sure it all fit, but after cutting a little bit off extra, the final section with the dent went in like a glove.

2016-05-09 21.16.04.jpg2016-05-09 21.16.17.jpg2016-05-09 21.16.36.jpg2016-05-09 21.16.47.jpg2016-05-09 21.17.03.jpg

So what next for the bucket? I think I'll take a little break before doing the sides, may even make them at a later date and focus on the helmet (I fancy doing casts of the side sections)
Some people say fibreglass the inside, some people say just seal. I like the idea of fibre glassing for strength, especially the dome. That was I can file some of the dome before applying bondo (or whatever I decide to use).

2016-05-09 21.16.04.jpg

2016-05-09 21.16.17.jpg

2016-05-09 21.16.36.jpg

2016-05-09 21.16.47.jpg

2016-05-09 21.17.03.jpg

Congrats man. Keep it up!

BOBA LIVES!

What a pain in the ass! I did make a pretty silly errors when making the actual helmet. Wondered to myself, why have the dome support facing upwards? Easier to align with support facing down? Yeah...but then when putting segments for dome in, everything becomes inverted (doh!) But got it on, and I'm relatively pleased with it. Had to 'modify' a few segments to make sure it all fit, but after cutting a little bit off extra, the final section with the dent went in like a glove.

View attachment 99233View attachment 99234View attachment 99235View attachment 99236View attachment 99237

So what next for the bucket? I think I'll take a little break before doing the sides, may even make them at a later date and focus on the helmet (I fancy doing casts of the side sections)
Some people say fibreglass the inside, some people say just seal. I like the idea of fibre glassing for strength, especially the dome. That was I can file some of the dome before applying bondo (or whatever I decide to use).

good job, and yes I would personaly fiber glass it especially around the visor area and top of the dome, infact all round really, the visor mainly as depending on what visor glass you use it can add strees to that area when bending it in and could warp the helmet or even brake it apart (y)

Right, so next week I should be able to get the fiberglass done on the inside of the bucket. What do I need to know/do before then?

There is quite a lot of glue mess on the inside, I take it that won't really matter?

Also, do you recommend cutting out the visor slot before or after fiberglassing?

When you say glue and mess how thick is it? if you can throw a picture up before next week that would be good. If your helmet is all constructed then you are good to go to fiber the inside, as for the visor section I would cut it after the fiber glass had been applied and hardened, reason being is the shape is being held together with the card still in it, so when its all solid and you finally cut it out the helmet will hardly change shape,

Don't go to mad with the fiber glass as its quite tough to sand and will bulk out the inside of the helmet with only a couple of layers so keep it smooth and flat be prepared to throw away a few brushes in the process! also do not fiber all the way up to where the visor will sit other wise you wont have a flush surface for it to go against, try to leave a flat smooth edge about 10mm all the way round (depending on what visor you have) so that it will be flush, does that make sense?

paint on some resin first, lay down some sheets of pre cut fiber glass into position let it soak for a few seconds and then apply a coat of resin over the top, you will get a lot of fibers pull off when you brush it on dont worry about that you can remove them after. You will only have a few minuets to use the resin before it goes hard (again depending on how you mix it) so plan your moves before you go at it.

(y)

Uhm....here is a pic of the inside of the dome. A lot of it is small streaks which are from moving the glue gun from one place to another, but there is a lot of glue in the center.
2016-05-15 21.35.24.jpg

Thanks for the tips and advice, especially not fiberglassing all over where the visor will sit, would never have thought of that. How much fibreglass do you think I will need? There is a kit on Amazon which comes with about half a square meter.
Yeah I planned to cut the fiberglass into squares so that I could easily, and quickly place them inside and coat them.

2016-05-15 21.35.24.jpg

Ok I see thats not to bad. Now you have an option at this point it's up to you whether you do it or not but I would cut out all them cross supports, they are only there for the dome installation, if your filler coat on the outside of the dome is strong enough it should withstand you pulling them out, use a pair of wire snips to snip them all out and remove as much of that inner ring also, the reason for this is simple, you will need to get a helmet liner in there and padding and these cross supports will limit what you can use. once that inner part of the dome has been fiber glassed after they are romoved it will be strong enough to support it's self. also it will start to get lumpy with layers of fiber glass going over them supports and space inside these helmets is at a premium!

Like I say this is totaly your choice if you remove them or not but in the long run it will create space and you will get a better, harder finish with the fiber glass,

I would add two layers on the dome, srtps going one way, the the second layer of strips going the other.

the cheeks you can cut them to shape on the manddibles and add one good layer. try to visualise tyour goal and prepair everything first, (y)

Well im not really planning on wearing it, more of a display piece really that can just sit there being awesome. So not too concerned about saving space on the inside. However, if removing supports will have a structural benefit, I will consider doing so.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back