Everything you wanted to know about Visors...

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
M

Migrate from As You Wish

Originally posted by Skaught77:

I'm replacing the cheapo fake visor with a real visor, and I'm having trouble keeping the center tall piece from staying perfectly smooth when I curve it (heating it in an oven). Should the center part have a little curve in it too, or should it remain straight/flat. Looking up at the photo in the header, the reflection suggests that it should curve and follow the shape of the overall helmet.

Thoughts?

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by WebChief:

The visor definitely curves in the center. I too heated mine in the oven. Once it became soft, I took it out and actually placed it into the helmet and formed it to the curve of the helmet. It worked well.

"What we do in life...echoes in eternity!"

That's what I did, too. Worked well. There is a little distortion in the center though. You can't see it just looking at the plastic, but a light reflection will be a bit wavy.

Scott

Yeah, it took me a couple of attempts but I'm happy with it's final outcome. It's not a huge curve, but it's decent. That was the cool thing about the acryllic. I just threw it back into the oven a couple of times until I was happy with the result.

I went to a plastics seller (in an industrial part of town) and they gave me - for free - a 1'x2' piece of tinted plastic about 1/8" thick. I cut my shape from it and heated it on some foil (on a baking sheet) in the over until it would droop.

Scott

Originally posted by Hammerhead:

What temperature did you set your oven to?

I was trying to boil my 1/8" thick piece of smoked acrylic to get it pliable enough to be able to form it to the helmet shape, but it didn't work very well.

<CENTER><TABLE CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 COLS=3 WIDTH="100" ><TR><TD ALIGN=CENTER ROWSPAN="2">
jw_yoda_anim.gif
</TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER>
slackersatworkbanner.gif
</TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER ROWSPAN="2"></TD></TR><TR><TD ALIGN=CENTER>
howtobanner.gif
</TD></TR></TABLE></CENTER><CENTER> <FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE =-1><FONT COLOR="red">GOD</FONT><FONT COLOR="white"> BLESS</FONT><FONT COLOR="blue"> AMERICA</FONT></FONT></CENTER>

<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE = -2 COLOR="red">"God have mercy on you. We won't."--Senator John McCain
"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine..."--Obi-Wan Kenobi
</FONT>​
</P>

I can't remember how hot I set it either. Best to start low and work your way up. Try around 350 or so and if that's not hot enough, push 400. Just WATCH it!

I got mine as a flat sheet of acryllic from a plastics supplier outside of Boston. Just check in the phone book under plastics.

Originally posted by Braks Buddy:

It has been said before but it was recently confirmed that the real visor was a welding visor... Those are already curved aomewhat. You might want to look into that...

Restless soul, enjoy your youth - Eddie Vedder​

Originally posted by Tyr Rykik:

If the melting point is anything like sintra it is between 350 and 375, so I wouldn't try 400 right off the bat.

I had ZERO problems heating mine in the over. Just give it another try. I put it on aluminum foil on a baking sheet.

Scott

Visor tinting??

Originally posted by imprissonedfett:

Hey guys I have the black limo tint and the faceshield but am wondering about applying the tint. Do I apply the tint to the outside or inside or does it make a difference? The sticky side happens to be the very dark side which would go in from the back. The other side is pretty dark but looks more mirror like. I was wondering if a few of you with Fett helmets could help with your 2 cents in this matter. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by boogeymanmasks:

Well it depends on where your visor is going to be mounted. Some people cut out the entire black plastic area and mount the T visor from the inside of the mask. I personally cut out the black plastic just enough to allow the visor to have a ridge for the edges to rest on and mounted mine on the exterior of the helmet. If you need pics let me know and I will email you some. With all of that said, whichever side you are mounting yours, you do not want the window tint being the side your adhesive goes against keeping the visor in place. It could pull your tint away from the visor, where if you adhered it directly to the visor you would not have this problem. Again, if I am not being clear, let me know your email address and I will shoot you some pics. I would also get standard window tint, no mirroring.
Hope this helps,
boogeyman

I cut out all the black plastic on mine and added the black tinting to the inside of the visor. If you put it on the outside, you could scratch it or worse even, tear it.

Great job Nat, absolutly cool! What are you using for the visor? I have a Don Post 96 that I am about to cut up so I can replace the visor, any hints or tips?
Thanks.

Try Saftey Lab Inc. They make a really nice green tinted visor.

drvfett wrote:Great job Nat, absolutly cool! What are you using for the visor? I have a Don Post 96 that I am about to cut up so I can replace the visor, any hints or tips?
Thanks.

I use a shade 4 welding visor. Thr first thing you should do is make a template of the opening & tape it to the visor.
Then use a sharp hobbyknife & metal ruler & score the visor a few times. Then you just bend the visor & itll snap along the scored lines, giving you a nice neat finish. :)

Nathan

I cut mine with tin snips. Tin snips are designed to cut either one direction or the other, so it was really helpful in making the curves. We made a template out of thin cardboard, then traced it onto the welding mask, then cut it out. Since my visor is rear-mounted, the small "tooth" marks from the snips didn't matter. However, those marks across the bottom were easily filed out. If you are looking for a front-mounted visor though, I don't recommend this method.

Thats about it, just want to know what kind of glue works best for a rear mounted visor?
Thanks

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back