ESB Rattlecanner's Question: Right Breast Plate

clmayfield

Active Hunter
So I laid down the green overcoat of my left breast plate and made it a Spruce Green with a Hunt Club Green overspray. Now it is time for the left Breast Plate. I am still planning on using Spruce Green as the main coat. I was thinking about using an overspray of Moss Green to make the Spruce Green a little lighter, but after looking at a lot of pictures, I am starting to think that a dark gray overspray might be better as the Moss Green might have too much yellow. For those who have done this, what have you done? I have seen some right breast plates that are the same color as the left, but I have seen some darker, some lighter, and some about the same.

Thanks!

I have become really anal about color matching. I have seen some really good paintups and on the good ones, the right breast plate is just a slightly different shade. After looking at real pictures, they are definitely a different shade, but sometimes the rbp looks lighter and sometimes it looks darker. The color filter they used in ESB doesn't help. What also doesn't help is that the original ESB suit doesn't exist anywhere for people to get actual colors. In a way, that is a good thing as it allows for a bit more creativity. But it will drive the anal among us nuts.

I used Spruce Green for my armor, but used the Krylon Italian Olive and gray bumper paint to make my right plate just slightly different. In some light it looks lighter, on other light darker. Might give it a try.

I tried Italian Olive with Stainless Steel, Spruce Green with Moss Green, Spruce Green with Flat Dark Grey Primer, and Spruce Green with Stainless Steel. Spruce Green with an overspray of Flat Dark Grey Primer seems to come the closest. Plus, the dark grey overspray will help to blend with the dark grey layer, which achieves the dimensionality of the right breast plate. It is the piece of chest armor that has the least going on (in ESB), but also the hardest to paint and the hardest to get right. I see some guys paint it one color and just have some silver battle damage, which looks wrong. It is a very tricky piece.

Hey clmayfield, I saw some moss green at a Home Depot I rarely visit and I think it's a great color for gauntlets and helmet top. Thanks, my local Depot doesn't carry that color so I didn't know about it. I'll have to repaint my gauntlets and helmet top (ugh) but the color will be so much better.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back