ESB Fett sidearm and Nemrod holster project for 3d print

laellee

New Hunter
Here's my take on the ESB Fett sidearm and holster. There are some really good models out there (Rafaelfetts' for one), but there are a few details that I wanted in my own version that didn't look readily available as a package.

For the blaster, I've been sticking with the proportions and details that Art Andrews put into his sidearm. I really like his prop, with the main tube's wrap-around cut off, and I'm inclined to believe that this is correct to at least one version of the original. Also, I wanted to include finer details like the barrel base knurling and grip's texture, just to make the parts pop and also to take advantage of the resolution that resin and sls printing will get out of the parts. A separate articulated trigger was a must as well, with room for a return spring. Finally, I wanted the assembly to be broken down into components to make finishing really easy; I am not a fan of masking if I don't have to do it, and the separate parts (to me) make the finished product look more like a real-world piece than a printed model.

The Nemrod holster has some goofy geometry, so I tried to keep it as close to correct as I could using phototelemetry and a boatload of reference pictures. I know that there were more than one version of the original holster; I worked up mine with the separate retaining strap that rivets to the main body. I have also worked up a version with the strap as part of the original holster extrusion, I'd like to give that a shot in flexible filament after I get the two-piece version wrapped up. For the Nemrod logo, it looks like there are a few ideas of how it should be done? With that in mind, I've worked up holster versions with full logo, no logo, and a sanded-down style.

So, on that note, if anybody has any feedback or opinions on the pieces themselves, or details like the logo on the holster, please share them. While models and prints are never going to be the same as an accurate modified Pulce and genuine holster, I'd like to get these as close to correct as I can before throwing them on the machines.

A few renders-

0518 ESB Fett render 5.png
0518 ESB Fett render 4.png
0518 ESB Fett render 3.png
0518 ESB Fett render 1.png
0518 ESB Fett render 2.png

Thanks for looking!

Looks good, have you printed one yet?
Thanks!

Setting up the printers this afternoon to run one, just want to double-check the blaster's fitment in the holster so it rides securely at the correct depth. Perfect would be for it to sit in it's seat unbuckled without any 'wiggle', but still holstering and unholstering smoothly. (y)

It looks great so far. One thing I noticed that should be corrected: the tube at the tip with the 3 slots should be hollow/see through:
DSCF7967_zpsjprcbjop.JPG

Much better, great reference as well; I didn't realize those front details around the barrel tip were actually raised ribs.

051921 esb fett barrel hollowed with ribbing.png

If you do a search, you might find at least 1 thread with lots of detail images of the ESB sidearm.
Of course, I have been for a while, sorted between original base pieces, real conversions, cast pieces, stylized models, etc... People still argue over particular details, I am happy with what is the most likely correct and accepted. :)

I bought mine on eBay and the 3 slots near the tip were not hollow. I painted them black and figure it's good enough. Plus I like the extra strength and piece of mind. Here are pics of the kit after I assembled it and also after I painted it.

Pulce1.jpg

Pulce5.JPG

Pulce7.JPG

Just curious, could an aluminum pipe be pressed into an oval shape and be put into the handle?
Absolutely. If I were to do that, I would model up a printable plug-style cap for the front end that could insert into the aluminum and in turn support the rest of the barrel/tip assembly. Print a couple more of those with only the plug section, and tap them into the aluminum tube to serve as bulkheads. Those 3 printed pieces can do all the work of holding the aluminum tube's new oval shape during and after assembly, I guess it would just be a matter of finding a tube to start with that's got the right circumference.

I bought mine on eBay and the 3 slots near the tip were not hollow. I painted them black and figure it's good enough. Plus I like the extra strength and piece of mind. Here are pics of the kit after I assembled it and also after I painted it.

View attachment 211936
View attachment 211937
View attachment 211938
Looks good! I've seen on original Pulces now where it is in fact hollowed out. Having said that, it just makes sense to fill that void in with clay when molding and casting. In the same vein as SPY007 with the aluminum barrel suggestion, Machining that little bit (just the tube section) in aluminum wouldn't be huge deal with minimal shop tools... But yours is a perfect example, why monkey with it when you can get something that looks great with the strength of resin. I am running a channel through the barrel on mine exactly because of the strength issue. Even with PLA+/delrin/nylon prints with 100% infill, I would still be concerned about the barrel snagging on the holster or some other mishap and having the tip snap right off. :confused:

I know Rafel Fett has a 3D model, but are there blue prints/dimensions any where? I still like old fashioned scratch building. I actually never knew about the side arm for a long time.

I know Rafel Fett has a 3D model, but are there blue prints/dimensions any where? I still like old fashioned scratch building. I actually never knew about the side arm for a long time.

I worked off of references and then, later, dimensions that were supplied to me from owners of the Pulce 40 and Nemrod found parts. I have not seen any blueprints or schematics anywhere that I could trust... Yeah one nice set of accurate orthographic 3-view drawings would have made this whole process a lot easier :)

No blueprints for the actual sidearm, but Alan did one for the inaccurate version (before the Pulce was discovered) ==> ESB Sidearm Blaster Blueprints. You can try to download my model for free from Shapeways (you'll need to create an account for that) and use it as a base for your scratch built project.

Finally printed a couple of these myself... I originally had the holster with an additional 'carriage' of sorts to help keep the blaster sitting properly, but it turned out I didn't need that (with or without flexible filament).
I'll add pics when the current one is properly finished; this one was just printed, light cleanup (and holster halves glued together), and then primed for a dry assembly.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

(I did add the side logos on this one, eventually I want to display a 'stock' Pulce and Nemrod with a finished blaster and holster)

279292514_756297005747905_5607412262623543092_n.jpg

279267018_563226801773526_3869479725597671977_n.jpg

280229104_1165971434217830_3176268704056028042_n.jpg
280281317_425961396025829_1829539964261725916_n.jpg
280222224_445938347209954_9006107777110473086_n.jpg
280291420_1158822594950941_3529536957433724492_n.jpg

what did you use for that strapping, looks awesome. been looking for something like that myself but unsure of what to search.
I just modeled it for print, so those are rigid pla pieces in the picture. If somebody couldn't find the same finish, it would be sweet to model it as flat sections and then mold and cast in something like urethane or flexible polymers.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back