ESB Cape ref for Darth Mule

Shinobi Fett

Active Hunter
Hey DM, here are some shots for you to judge an appropriate material for the ESB cape. As it's been discussed before, there are thoeries that it was a scandanavian blanket of some kind, but that has not been proven. Some folks make them from canvas, but I don't think that's right, because it looks to me thqat it drapes looser than canvas does. more like a softer woven material. As it origially concepted, it was a poncho-like wrap around chest cape. (Sort of like the clint Eastwood cowboy thing) What do you think>

cape1.jpg

cape2.jpg

cape3.jpg

cape4.jpg

cape5.jpg

cape6.jpg

cape7.jpg

Is it confirmed that the stripe is printed/dyed instead of being seperate fabric sewn together? As far as the fabric type, it's always been the the slight wrenkles (SIC?) that make me think it's a cotton fabric.... BUt wool is used throughout SW.... don't know.

I would need some good hi-res shots to tell for sure, but it does appear to be a wool or even a silk or linen. It's either Something with a relatively loose standard weave, or I'm seeing the pebbley grain of a felted wool blanket... Or perhaps the pic is just grainy. Like I said, hard to tell without hi-res. Definitely doesn't look like a canvas. You're correct that it has a softer drape than canvas. A well worn/washed canvas wouldn't even behave like that.

SC has a point about wool being used heavily throughout the SWU. Lucas does appear to have an unhealthy obssession with the stuff, so it is a good candidate. If this scandinavian blanket is made with the stripe on it, I would take it as a pretty good clue. I doubt LFL went thru the trouble of silkscreening the cape, so it's likely it was found with the stripe.

Actually, the canvas will drape quite nicely if you run it through the wash a number of times...like 4 or 5. I originally beleived it was wool as well, but after working with canvas for a while, I'm leaning towards that. These are pretty crummy pics, but heres how mine looks. I'm still experimenting & trying to make one that is a bit better, but I think I'm getting close. I do beleive that the original had the stripe dyed in.
D

DSC03470.jpg

genconjakidtdh2.jpg

Your canvas still drapes much harder than the fabric in the ESB pics. Notice particularly the edge of yours where it's almost creased in on itself, and the drapes make much stiffer peaks. Your cape is actually still after many washes, showing the attributes of cotton.

This isn't to say that the screen-used was definitely not cotton, but in the pics above, it doesn't look like it. Like I said before. It would take some good hi-res shots to tell.

Is it my imagination or does the ESB cape attach to the stud, then to the jet pack strap or something else there, to keep coverin the shoulder etc?

it looks like as if has 2 attachments points though...

maybe the ESB cape colour combo was dyed, or atleast NOT a found part, as concept art for ESB shows Fett with the same colour of cape...

So maybe it was saught for, and there for a 3 part construction, or dyed.

Cause it would be a bit to much of a coincidence for me if the cape was found in exactly the same colour as McQuarie had painted Fett.

ofcourse this theory's busted if the painting was made after the cape was... but that would be strange... right?

cape concept.jpg

R_boba_fett said:
Is it my imagination or does the ESB cape attach to the stud, then to the jet pack strap or something else there, to keep coverin the shoulder etc?

it looks like as if has 2 attachments points though...

I agree that there seems to be 2 attachement points, & I did mine that way. Under the stud, then I useda small strip of velcro on the backplate coresponding to a small strip on the cape. In the one photo in particular, (the back shot) It appears that the cape is pulled tight and held in place. It kinda angles in if that makes sense. Without the second attachment, the cape hangs strait down.
D

Typically designers find the fabric before painting the renderings. That's how we decide what color to paint them. This isn't always the case, but more oftne than not it holds true.

R_boba_fett said:
maybe the ESB cape colour combo was dyed, or atleast NOT a found part, as concept art for ESB shows Fett with the same colour of cape...

So maybe it was saught for, and there for a 3 part construction, or dyed.

Cause it would be a bit to much of a coincidence for me if the cape was found in exactly the same colour as McQuarie had painted Fett.

ofcourse this theory's busted if the painting was made after the cape was... but that would be strange... right?

My feelings are that there are two things going on: First, it almost HAS to be dyed, as there is no apparent seams anywhere in the stripe. Secondly, I am sure McQuarrie had the cape before the concept sketch appeared. Whether it was found or dyed that way, I'm sure the cape was used as reference for the sketch. That makes the most sense to be, being an illustratot myself.

Shinobi

Good point, but something still puzzles me. If Maquarri did in fact have a cape for ref. before he started on the illustrations, then why is the stripe he rendered on the cape all jagged/zig zag like??? Wouldn't he have rendered it w/ a strait line like the actuall cape?? I dunno, I wonder if we're ever gonna figure this one out:lol:
D

If I had to guess, I'd say those zig zags are actually created by folds in the cape in the illustration. More of an optical illusion than anything else.

so McQuarie had the cape for reference... but not the rest of the suit?

and if he had the cape for reference, why does it have such a weird attachment in the drawing? and why did he make evrything white, but the cape...

while the white pre-pro Fett shows a white cape...

then, all the pre-pro's show green capes instead of the ESB one...

maybe they did take the idea of the brown striped cape from this painting.

@ forced trekker: it's not an accident imo

you can see the second attachment on 2 different pics. one on film and one as publicity shot. And if you look at other ESB images I think it's safe to say it's attacht like that at all times. (same as the braids, they always hang in the same manner...every singel shot)

R_boba_fett said:

and if he had the cape for reference, why does it have such a weird attachment in the drawing? and why did he make evrything white, but the cape...

you can see the second attachment on 2 different pics. one on film and one as publicity shot. And if you look at other ESB images I think it's safe to say it's attacht like that at all times. (same as the braids, they always hang in the same manner...every singel shot)

I pretty much agree;)
D

Interesting about the pre-pro vs. ESB... All green capes, and multi-colour jet packs too... why the all green at the last minute for ESB? I think the concept behind the all green look was that it was more "miliary" looking, but then why did they go back to the multi-colour? Doesn't make sense... (I like ESB best anyway, but that's for another thread)

Also, in a related bit. I seem to have noticed the differences between ESB and ROTJ braids... I think they are actually the same, just turned around in the ROTJ ones. The bushy braids hang in front in ESB, but they appear to be behind in ROTJ. (in my movie captures) just speculation...

Shinobi

R_boba_fett said:

It's probably just as simple as, "I'm not sure yet what I want to do with this guy, but I found this cool blanket that I know I want to use for a cape."

Well, OK DM... that raises the question... say one were to get said "soft-wooly, cottony fabric." How would you go about dying a single stripe down the middle? In addition what color mix and even type of dye would you use?

Shinobi

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back