Electrics. Fans and audio etc

ghostface944

New Hunter
Hello. I’d would really appreciate some help if possible. I’m working on my second helmet I’ve got vet done atm. Last year I did a punk spin on boba and now I’m doing the original boba helmet.

After wearing my helmet last year i found that I had quite a few problems that I’m looking on fixing for this years con.
First I was wondering if anyone has any solution to the T visor fogging up as it happened a lot through the day.
Second the heat / cooling. Ideally I’d like to have a fan in the helmet I thought a fan at the back of the helmet would be the best placement as it had the cut out detail on the back but since I’ve seen that stormtrooper helmets have 2 micro fans in them.

Third is the hearing. Again I’ve seen some videos about microphones and headphones but i really don’t have a clue on anything like that.
Fourth is my speaking. I’ve seen a few microphone speaker type things that could help but unsure what the best option might be.
And finally I would like some way of the rangefinder being able to come down and then bac up with a click of a button. I’ve seen a video on it but I have no idea what electrics you’d need to do to it.
Thank you for reading. And help at all would really be appreciated. Thank you once again

There's a couple of things you can do.

Fans: I use the same that TKs use - I have two mounted over my t-visor (one over each side) It keeps the visor and my head cool. There are a number of builders that sell pre-fab kits that you can buy (just google "helmet fans"). Fans solve overheating in your bucket, and keeping your visor clear.

Speaker: I have a small 20mm speaker under my left chest armor piece that use with a wireless microphone that fits over my ear. Once I sync them, they'll run for 4-5 hours. UKswrathSpecialty makes the ones I have

Rangefinder: (to me) NeoFett makes the best servo based rangefinder kit.

Hope these help!

ghostface944
I been in this crazy world of cosplay for a couple years now. And like you, I still have yet to find a solution for the heat inside my helmet.
I'll set this up like TKOK has done with my suggestions....

Fans: I live in Washington State and the 501st Garrison Titan has a member who sells helmet fans I just this week ordered his two fan kit. One fan for my helmet and the other for my daughters Boushh Helmet. His sales link is: HELMET FAN KITS FOR COSTUMES / COSPLAY

Speaker: I had an Aker 1505 but didn't like it that much. I have on order a MiCom 2.0 setup that should be in my possession next month - September. If you're not familiar with the MiCom 2.0 setup here is a 9 minute video demo on the product:

Range Finder: Just like TKOK stated, Neo Fett (aka: BH-51512 ) has an outstanding kit. I absolutely love mine (See Below) I bought the version where the button is hidden in my glove on the palm of my hand and my finger activates it! But there are other options too. BH-51512 actually has a sales thread right here on The Dented Helmet - in the Cargo Hold:
Iron's Range Finder - Gif 1.gif

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!
:cool:(y)

-Iron

Irongladiator is correct -- that was me ;)

JasonTheConner - I use the ones like the pic below. I mounted them with two threaded posts JB Welded to the inside of my helmet, then I slide the fans over the posts and use a nut and washer to keep them mounted. I point them facing to the bottom right, and bottom left of my helmet so it doesn't blow right at my eyes and dry them out.

I use the same power bank as Irongladiator and velcro it behind my chest armor and run the cable through my vest and up my neck piece.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 5.57.42 PM.png

I mounted them with two threaded posts JB Welded to the inside of my helmet, then I slide the fans over the posts and use a nut and washer to keep them mounted. I point them facing to the bottom right, and bottom left of my helmet so it doesn't blow right at my eyes and dry them out.
Dumb question: Do you have pics of the posts you have mounted? I have the same pair and am not really able to picture your mounting.

JasonTheConner
I'm actually on the fence about using my fan. I've been to plenty cons and really haven't come across an issue to where I need the fans. I think it is because my Boba Maker VX helmet is pretty open. I don't use foam pieces to keep it on my head. I use what's known as a PASGT (Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops) Head Suspension System. Kinda like this....
1681435193727.png

I only use the Helmet Liner and Sweatband (Two items - cheap and easy to acquire - mine was under $12.00 for both) and found that it holds onto my head very good. I'm a former US Army Soldier, and I figure that the US Department of Defense probably went to some lengths as to making Combat Helmets as comfortable as they can be for soldiers. And in the 10 years I served, I never had an issue with mine and felt it was comfy enough to wear for extended periods. I can even turn my head very quick in my Boba Fett helmet and you don't get any bobble head effect. It stays precise - where my head turns, the helmet follows!

I think because I don't over crowd my head in my helmet that I get decent airflow without fans. I've kept my helmet on for 3 hours once and hardly broke a sweat.

Presently my helmet looks like this....
PASGT and Servo Installed.jpg

Go ahead and laugh, but the 6 AA batteries I have mounted in there actually is dual purpose. They serve as back-up batteries in case I need them and also act as a counter weight to the Servo and batteries I have installed on the other side. Otherwise, the helmet goes all lopsided.

I have to play with it a bit more, but here is my idea with the fan.
PASGT and Servo and Fan.jpg

Hope this kinda helps you.

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
JasonTheConner
That was actually pretty easy. I just ran down to my local Home Depot and picked up this....
1681447502561.png

I then cut up the rough sides of Velcro into pieces that matched the size of the soft sided Velco that is pre-sewn onto the Headstrap Liner....
PASGT Removed.jpg

Headstrap Liner.jpg

To install the Sweatband I took a different approach and used Tie Wraps to fix them to the Headstrap Liner in a more permanent fashion....
Sweatband Installed.jpg

This required some hole cutting into the Sweatband strap to feed the Tie Wraps through. This did not effect the comfort in anyway as the Tie Wraps are hidden and tucked away behind the leather, so your forehead doesn't feel anything.

Cheap, easy and effective in my opinion. And for three years now and a couple dozen troops underneath me, it has held up nicely with nothing having needed to be replaced.
:cool: (y)

-Iron

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back