DVH Jetpack scratch build (2015 updates!)

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Thank you sir! The metal parts are made by Dark-side here on the boards. He sells them as upgrades for the resin pieces most packs come with. These packs will come with resin ones i will scratch build but im making the parts to fit Dark-sides metal upgrades so no altering is necessary :)

Anywho..update!

Started on the lower rocket. This is a plastic cup, some styrene sheet, a 1.5" PVC pipe and bondo.
11219492_998124450199266_7953708035369371563_o_zpsq4gtqdzn.jpg

I may trim about 1/2" off the top, not sure yet, it seems like it MAY be a little tall. But anywhys, here it is so far, obviously not done :)
IMG_9366_zpso87zbp6w.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Trying to get the gauntlets into the final stages to have them available soon, but i didnt forget about the jetpack..because well, i need a jetpack for myself! LOL! Within the next couple of weeks i will be making a dump mold of this lower rocket piece and casting one so i can fine tune it and get it ready to fit on the pack. I dont want to trim off the top and lose the structure of the part, so its better i canst one and trim the top on that, and also fine tune the details all at once on a solid piece. In the meantime i will also be doing the dump mold on the main body, as i cant do much more with it at this point because its made of foamboard/styrene. But hang in there folks still workin on this! ...while finishing 4 helmet paint-ups and starting 3 more! ...imma busy! lol

Dude! This thread is amazing! Totally reinspired me all over again to do a build! I've got 3 months to make a DVH quality jp it seems! :D Do you have a link or size info on the ice molds? Also, as for the spackle, is it vinyl spackle? That's what I use like Matty did with glue over it. I'm staying tuned for the rest of the thrusters too! ;P
-Gav

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Ok i did a tiny bit of work on this today... i made a mold of the top cap a couple of days ago ...

100_9474_zpsizbx0izl.jpg

....and i pulled my master out of it and cast a resin version..here it is next to the original before i cleaned it up..
100_9477_zpswogezxz7.jpg

Here it is cleaned up
100_9478_zps7w78seyd.jpg

100_9479_zpskm3albvc.jpg

100_9480_zpssf6gmgb0.jpg

Going to need to do this same process for the lower rocket also.....as well as the upper rocket and the thruster cones

Attachments

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Been working on the upper rocket and the thrusters..didnt snap any pics ...but i swear im workin on it! Went to a con this weekend and half my fellow troopers wanted to know where my Fett was...so im in full steam ahead gear to finish this so i can get my Fett back together and troopable!

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
So i seem to have lost my camera either in the shop or somewhere in this office space...ugh. its gotta be here somewhere! So no pics right now...but i have the main body of the jetpack in rubber now. This will end up a dump mold because i need to make a couple of bigger adjustments to the pack that if i tried it with the foamboard/styrene pack i likely would have destroyed it. SO, im going to slush cast 1 pack in 65D urethane resin, and fix/clean up as much as i can on it. So hopefully in the next few weeks i'll be able to mold it again and get a good clean fiberglass castings from a nice production mold off a super clean master :) Thats the plan anyways.

Still working on the upper rocket from sheet styrene and thrusters as well. I molded the ball part of the thruster so i will be able to cast 2, and found a plastic champagne glass i used for the cone part. Just took a crap mold off it and cast 2 soild cones that i will cut down and partially hollow out for the cone part of the thrusters.

i also made 4 teeth/piano keys and molded them as well. Im going to glue them on a strip of styrene that will fit onto the pack, similar to MOW's newer packs.

i have a real mitchel stabilizer i will mold for the resin one to be included in the kit. I also have the bottom greeblies i will also mold to include resin versions in the kit. It will or course come with a solid resin beacon as well.

Im having a local buddy of mine 3d model the toothed ring for the top of the pack where the rocket goes because the templates dont have the right amount of slots. I will have that printed and use that as the master

So this is moving along steadily at this point. Once everything is done, i will cast one pack and assemble it and make sure all is hunky-dory. If it is, it will become my personal Jetpack. Then i will do a small introductory run of 4 or 5. After that im going to TRY and have a couple in stock, or just do no money down small runs, rather than a rotational system of first in first out. These are a pain to cast, so i feel its best to do small runs randomly for me as i wont have the time to just pump them out as i do make other stuff for other costumes as well.

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Found the camera! See, i just needed to post here that i lost it ,and the good vibes i get from TDH, helped me find the camera lol. I'll have pics up of the JP in rubber soon!

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Not sure yet but im trying to stay within the average price ranges for them at about $300-$375ish. Gotta see what it will cost me to make and how much of a pain it is to cast lol.

TheZeroEffect

Active Hunter
Yay camera found, I'm looking forward to some more shots...:D
I hate miss-placing items in my work shop, especially when i have a running inventory in my head, (I know bad place, but it works well... until I miss-place something:lol:)

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
haha!

Ok here is the main body in 3 layers of rubber. 2 brushed on at the normal consistency of Rebound 25, and 1 with a thickener added to avoid too much run off and keep it where it needs to be. I added one more with the thickener and made it as smooth as i could and then added one more without the thickener. I will be flipping it over and doing the back in the next couple of days. This should be sufficient to get at least 1 cast out of it. If im lucky i can get 2 and make one into a custom design.

100_9497_zpscyheanjc.jpg

100_9498_zpsbiwsvz6e.jpg

Attachments