Chin Strap/Cup Info

Jangos kid

Well-Known Hunter
Hey all. For the sake of accuracy, I was thinking about addin a chin strap on my MSH2. The original ESB bucket did have a chin-strap right???? If indeed it did, does anyone know what it looks like, ie. was it white, or have a little cup for the chin, etc...I seem to remember a pic showing the inside of one of the original buckets, showing a white hard-had type suspension, (I think Braks might have posted this???) but I can't remember if you could see the chin strap or not. Making a plain old chin strapp would be easy enough, but I was hoping to match the original as closely as possible. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts or ideas, or possibly that inside of the bucket pic???:) Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Damian

Tyler Durden

Well-Known Hunter
Here is a pic of the ESB chin strap:

I have found a very close, if not indentical, chinstrap to the one seen in photos. I say very close because we have so few photos of the chin strap it is impossible to be 100 percent sure. I'll take of a of the chin strap/cup I found.

-edited to correct info

Last edited by a moderator:

Jangos kid

Well-Known Hunter
Hey!!!! Thats what I was looking for!!! Thanx a lot Tyler!!!I have a few old hockey helmets with chin straps that have a similar look to that. Thanx again,:)
Damian

Baddblood

Active Hunter
That's exactly what i was thinking, my old football helmet has a chinstrap nearly identical to that.

Tyler Durden

Well-Known Hunter
No prob! You're right, I don't think the chin cup is terribly unique. There are quite a few chin cups that are very similar to the one pictured. It's just finding the right variation. :)

TK1776

Active Hunter
I was not aware of a chin strap. If anyone is selling ones like the one use in ESB, please let me know. Thanks!
:D

John Barrows, Jr.
TK-1776

Dustin Crops Boy

Well-Known Hunter
To me - that cup looks leather and i think more motorcycle helmets had leather in that vintage (late 70s) than sports gear did. I could be wrong though...

Jangos kid

Well-Known Hunter
Good point DCB!!! The more I look at it, it does look more like an older motorcycle/snowmobile helmet cup made from leather or vynll.

Dustin Crops Boy

Well-Known Hunter
Here's a direction to try... horse riding helmets. I have one here (modern) that has a similar cup - but is black plastic. Perhaps while picking up girths - they bought a few helmets too :)

Tyler Durden

Well-Known Hunter

I know somtimes people in the hobby have a tendency to get locked into certain assumptions, but given what I found, I really think the original might have been plastic.

The strap I found is from an English helmet made in 1976. Again, I am not sure that the strap and cup are unique to a particular helmet. I believe it is more a matter of region and time.

Tyler Durden

Well-Known Hunter
I have to make a correction to my earlier post. I incorrectly thought the Jedi helmet used a different chin strap. But I over-looked a photo which clearly shows the same chin strap/cup. In fact, it looks like they used the attachment pulled straight out the helmet, even with the leather strip at the end.

The ESB attachment has been modified a bit, as they moved the d-rings to the very end of the strip that comes out of the slit.

It came from a British SWAT-type helmet.

thksdad

Active Hunter
hey, for those who have used a chin strap on their helmets, how did you guys attach them to your helmets??? what did you use for it? thanks,
~Michael

BobaFettish

Well-Known Hunter
TD, can you post a pic of the helmet that you found that part in?

Tyler Durden

Well-Known Hunter
This isn't the exact helmet I found, but it is in the same style, and it also appears to have a chinstrap close to the original:

fettcicle

Well-Known Hunter
Is that some style of safety helmet? The only reason I ask is because of the leather collar in the back. Might say it looks like a firefighter helmet, if I were more familar with European style gear :confused

Tyler Durden

Well-Known Hunter
I found these helmets while looking for "British SWAT-type helmets."

mobius

Active Hunter
We have ton of those helmets at the police station here in Iceland, used to be old riot helmet´s but now we have new ones.

E2K13

Active Hunter

mobius wrote:

We have ton of those helmets at the police station here in Iceland, used to be old riot helmet´s but now we have new ones.
So......
Any you feel like sending to the states?
Heh Heh Heh

Rogue Studios

Active Hunter
Boba fett helmet Chin cup

Hey, We found this and I thought I would post it up. It's from a British Riot helmet. I think this piece has many uses so I would assume it was not used just on riot helmets. Used to have a contact that had these but they are sold out. Just hit the search engines and you should be able to nab one. Sorry I didn't put this up sooner. Found this along with Tylerdurden, SS and Wes. Take care and sorry if you have already seen pic. Also I meant to include the strap in the title but forgot to but the strap and attachment harness are the accurate as well.

Lee

chin.jpg