Cheaper to build, or buy?

TheRealRyan

New Hunter
I have been doing some research for a bit now and am trying to decide how the most inexpensive way to build a Boba Feet costume would be. I don't expect it to be 501st quality, but I dont want it to look like complete garbage either. Just something for fun. I have found a source on here for the jumpsuit and vest and hopefully that will help, thank you TDH. It would seem that building it would be the cheapest way, but when I looked up prices of sintra on google it seemed liek it would be more then a hundred dollars in three millimeter sintra. Yet on etsy, there is a shop by the name of ryanrevandesigns that was selling a full armor set made of three millimeter sintra, minus the gauntlets and helmet I assume, for a hundred bucks. So I am a little torn between which way to go. To be honest, I am not very aristicly inclined.I could manage painting armor that was designed, and maybe even cutting the sintra with templates. As far as making the gauntlets or helmet goes, it seems like a very daunting task. Does anyone have opinions who have built a budget boba from scratch and have an approximate cost? Anyone have opinons who has bought premade and or painted parts and have an approximate cost? The one thing I DO want to look really nice, would bethe helmet. I feel like its so iconic and the center of the whole outfit. Thanks in advance for any advice

If you buy ready made and painted from one of the sellers that offer this it will be expensive. If you buy pre made parts and paint yourself it'll still be expensive only slight less so and you'll have more fun but buying your own paints and equipment still costs.

I've seen many an excellent budget fett. The only limitation there is the dedication and time investment of the builder. Some of the guys that have made 'trash can armour' have had some great results.

If only. This is more what I was thinking... https://www.etsy.com/listing/288886...an-armor-3mm-boba-fett?ref=shop_home_active_4 https://www.etsy.com/listing/271190...arch_query=boba fett helmet&ref=sr_gallery_38 flightsuit on etsy is 180 shipped. Vest could be home made possibly. All that would be approximately 450. Hard part im having is finding gauntlets. All that would be left would be the gun, boots and accessories. Judging from those quotes it seems way cheaper to buy it premade. I wish so much that I could spend thousands of dollars on an outfit, believe me :(

With a good quality paint job these two can be made to look the part with very few changes, but don't forget the scale of it will need to be right for your size, aside from that changing the aesthetics of it can make it look 10 times better than how you originaly bought it,

if you want cheep helmet to start with maybe better off buying the Target helmet that came out a while ago,(check e-bay)

its ''quite'' acurate check out ChickenHaunt paint job here ----> http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/new-target-boba-fett-helmet-released-53163/index6.html

and this is how it started ------> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...NyOj5M:;M7Be6MtKhCAjMM:&imgrc=XcZBIokiNyOj5M:

all it really needs is a longer range finder and tinted visor, there is templates all over the place here on the TDH that will show you how to make one,

Infact I would google ''Dented helmet templates'' clik images and hundreds of images will pop up titled ''WOF templates'', or ''Rafal Works''

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/rafalfetts-boba-fett-3d-projects-50447/
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/all-soft-parts-templates-tutorials-23197/

I say all this as I part bought part made got it all made/bought for under 2.5k

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/my-rotj-journal-52933/index9.html#post691292 <----- see it here.

turned out great

Hope this helps..

I looked at some of the stuff ion the cargo hold and it all looked amazing, just too expensive. For the way that helmet and armor I posted a link to looks, I cant argue with $160 for a helmet painted and $100-150 for full set of armor. I wouldn't mind finding a happy medium and going a little bit more expensive, I am willing to buy a part or two every month. Although with a total cost of two thousand for movie accuracy level I would be buying a piece or two of armor every six months lol, that doesnt seem very fun. I did see a post about flightsuits and vest in a thread and I pm'd them so hopefully they can help. Thank you for the advice though, I will be wary of people. Part of me wants to give up because if you cant do it right and give the amazing character justice why do it at all, but I shall perservere..

And thank you SilverStalker, I thought about the helmet that target sells too, I didnt think of modding the rangefinder. I will check those links out. I just recently found some gauntlets at themandolorianarsenal.com from a thread on here, that are only 65 bucks. that should help

If you're spending $180 a flightsuit, make sure you chat with Arkady first and see what she can offer. Carol makes awesome products and is great to deal with. I image the price would be in the same range. I ordered a vest and neckseal from her and I like it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently building mine. The price can be had for cheaper than what you list above, though your prices aren't far off.

1. The sintra for the armor hit up several sign shops ask them if they have any sintra scraps (I was able to build my entire armor set (I haven't built the knee pads yet) for the cost of paint and time
2. The helmet can be made of Cardboard, fiberglass, and bondo.
-- If you want an accurate paint job that you are doing yourself I paid $60 just for the paint (just buy yourself a big can/tin of laquer thinner it works just fine)
-- Total cost of the helmet so far is ~$100 with the bondo, sandpaper, carboard, glue, etc...
3. The flight suit can be made for cheaper than 50 dollars but you need to be able to sew. (@Arkady is a fantastic choice for this I have seen her work and almost everyone agrees)

The bottom line is if you have the tools and time you can build it WAY cheaper than buying. If you don't have the tools or time, buying is the way to go.

By the time mine is done I am thinking I am going to have $500 sunk into it, but the helmet alone I will probably have spent 50 hours on, maybe more.

Shameless plug, I am building all mine and I have a pretty comprehensive build thread if you want to take a look. I am right around $300 now total, if you don't include all the tools I needed to buy. I never include the tools.

Some of the tools you will need are:
- Air Brush
- Heat Gun
- Air Compressor (for heat gun)
- Sewing Machine
- Lots of razor blades
- Dremel with attachments
- Lathe (for some of the parts)- Not maybe a requirement but it makes life easier

Good luck and you are at the right place if you are looking for help/advice

This thread is great for the trash can armour has been imitated many times. Still brilliant.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/trash-can-armor-pics-6290/?highlight=trash+armour
Thank you for this link!!! This is perfect. This may save me a lot of money and is a really awesome idea, I didnt realize trash can armor is literally made out of a trash can. And Arkady is who I PM'd, I am eagerly awaiting her response :) Thanks to everyone who posted on here, some really great ideas that will help a lot! I appreciate it a ton! :)

Thank you for this link!!! This is perfect. This may save me a lot of money and is a really awesome idea, I didnt realize trash can armor is literally made out of a trash can. And Arkady is who I PM'd, I am eagerly awaiting her response :) Thanks to everyone who posted on here, some really great ideas that will help a lot! I appreciate it a ton! :)

No probs but thank AFFOD for the thread and not me for the link; a pioneer of the game.

Good luck.

Andy

If you are using sintra I would recommend to go with 6mm. That gives you some room to work on making a return edge. It will improve the look dramatically.

For my own build (to start sometime in the next few weeks) I'm personally going to build it myself but on a low budget originally, then perhaps, replace some parts with more expensive ones as I go along or after I've built it.
For me it comes down to what I'm personally happy with and who I'm going to please (mostly my kids and others at comic con for example) so maybe you could start low budget then build up over a few years?
It wont be 100% screen accurate but it will be as close as I can get it without having to sell one of my kids :p and will hopefully look great at a few feet distance.

For the armour:
I contacted a guy (through a friend) who works installing Windows/Doors who was able to get me a large sheet of Aluminium/Aluminum (8 feet by 4 feet at 3mm thick) for about 100 Euro.
So I plan to make my own metal armour, based off a thread here. Have a look for "Aluminum" on these threads. The guy building his own from thicker metal is "CyberPyrot".

Helmet:
I bought a Hasbro helmet (50 Euro) which I plan to either take all the dimensions to build another one, or modify it to make it look more authentic.
There are some great deals to be had within the cargo hold and on eBay from what I can see but making your own (if you have the time) looks to be the most satisfying.

FlightSuit:
I bought a cheap flight/mechanic overall on eBay which I will add to (but I've since seen people make their own suits on this thread and it looks like I might do that, after I make my own.

Boots:
Right now I'm going to have to plump for a pair of mens "Farah" boots as a cheaper alternative.

Gauntlets, Jetpack etc.... I haven't thought that far ahead yet but I'll most likely have a DIY go at these - it looks to me that you get more attached to your armour if you build it yourself but I don't mind a bit of elbow grease thrown in when I have time.

I hope yours goes well, like you I'm starting sometime soon, and on a cheap budget (under a thousand for sure) but hope to, over time, do the character justice :D

Best of luck.

Same goes to you Steoconnor! I hope yours turns out well. I may end up buying a full set of armor because I found one for 100. I wont have cut it, but I can at least say I painted it xD Like you said, it's a start though :) Eventually I think I will do the same thing and slowly replace the parts with more accurate higher quality ones that I build myself as my budget allows

Same goes to you Steoconnor! I hope yours turns out well. I may end up buying a full set of armor because I found one for 100. I wont have cut it, but I can at least say I painted it xD Like you said, it's a start though :) Eventually I think I will do the same thing and slowly replace the parts with more accurate higher quality ones that I build myself as my budget allows

I'd love to see your progress (no matter how small). I'm seeing more items pop up on eBay which is so alluring but I will, over time, by from the cargo hold here and from respectable dented helmet sellers.
Have you decided if are you going ESB or ROTJ?

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great thread (and I saw it earlier this year but never subscribed - subscribed now).
Thanks for reminding me of it and your suit looks fantastic!

When I was on the hunt for Sintra, I called around and asked a few sign shops. They were ridiculously expensive for even small (1'X2') pieces. If you live near a big city, you might find a plastics supply warehouse. I bought two 4X8 sheets, one 3 mm and one 6 mm for under $60. I had to call a couple of plastic supply places to get that price, but I ended up with a place called Allied Plastics. Their competitor referred me to them! Said they didn't know how they were selling so cheap. They even cut the sheets down for me to 4X4 for easy transport in my truck. Sandwiched them between two pieces of cardboard, had it ready to go by the time I got there.

I also agree that the Target helmet is a viable option with a rangefinder replacement. Here is a link to my build for daughter's and her mom's costumes. Granted it's pink, but you can get a feel for the overall helmet size. That is the stock rangefinder on there, it doesn't look bad, just a bit short.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/pink-ladies-build-54897/

Good luck with your build and welcome to TDH!

If only. This is more what I was thinking... https://www.etsy.com/listing/288886...an-armor-3mm-boba-fett?ref=shop_home_active_4 https://www.etsy.com/listing/271190...arch_query=boba fett helmet&ref=sr_gallery_38 flightsuit on etsy is 180 shipped. Vest could be home made possibly. All that would be approximately 450. Hard part im having is finding gauntlets. All that would be left would be the gun, boots and accessories. Judging from those quotes it seems way cheaper to buy it premade. I wish so much that I could spend thousands of dollars on an outfit, believe me :(

Prior to joining TDH, I ordered some pouches, vest and neckseal from someone on etsy, they too were selling Fett flighsuits, but I did not buy the flightsuit.
Post TDH, I picked up a 2nd hand flightsuit, pouches and neckseal made by Arkady... Arkady's far outweighs the stuff I got from etsy from material to color and all.

Don't get me wrong, the etsy stuff was cool at first and would have done fine, and I was jazzed about it when I first got it. But man, Arkady's set was great.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back