Brak's Buddy's Fett Helmet Project

Looks sweet. (I can't stop saying 'sweet', it's really annoying me).

Nice and smooth, and excellent start to your first project :)

When mine arrives I'm not so worried about the prep, but I'm soo scared that I'll botch the paint job. This helmet deserves so much better than I can give it :( lol

Looks great, I'd love to see constant updates. I'm very anxious to see one of these painted :)

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
bb how thick is the visor? is it pre shaped or flat?

i'm doing a dp at the moment(until my one arrives:)) and can't quite seem to get the visor to curve properly,especially at the bottom edge

cheers

chris

journeymanprotector wrote:When mine arrives I'm not so worried about the prep, but I'm soo scared that I'll botch the paint job. This helmet deserves so much better than I can give it :( lol

I wasn't worrying about that yet for when mine arrives but . . . thanks JMP . . . thanks for giving me one more worry about screwing up this helmet! hahahaha ;)

BB . . thanks for the advice on the files . . . always looking for a good excuse to hit Canadian Tire and buy more tools! :)

Jer

Veeeeeeery nice Braks ! :cheers

Can't wait to see the ears and a basecoat on that baby !

No problem Ego,
I like to try and spread around a bit of insecurity, that way I'm not the only person who feels intimidated about making these costumes :)

Best luck :)
Phil

tremorboy2000 wrote:bb how thick is the visor? is it pre shaped or flat?

The visor appears just a bit thinner than the real deal to me and although it does have a bit of curve it doesn't have quite enough. The best way I have found to shape it is to heat it slightly (SLIGHTLY!!!!) over the stove then wrap it around something VERY smooth and round like a 1 gallon paint can.

Last edited:
After finally seeing it, I'm very nervous about the whole thing!! :puke Is anybody out there willing to help me out on the fiberglass clean up work?? Haven't ever worked with the stuff and would hate for this to be the first trial and error project!! Have only worked with plastic materials and I don't trust myself on this one!!

Humm....That is a great lookin can ya got there Braks. Sanding, well, to get into those tight spots, you can always use an emery board, the type you use to file nails. Or a paint stirer with a piece of sand paper wraped around it. If you do a lot of sanding of the fiberglass, (before you prime where you are only removing a little amount of material) I would use a sandpaper that can be used wet. Sand the helmet wet so that the fiberglass glass fibers don't become air bourn. You breathe in those things and it aint a good idea :D

Dude, I know exactly how you feel. I was in the same boat as you! I have never even successfully pt a model together, much less something of this magnitude! It was extremely daunting at first but as you go along it gets easier and easier. I will stress this, WEAR A FREAKIN' MASK AND EYE PROTECTION! It also wouldn't hurt to wear gloves if you don't want to be itching all night.

I would also recommend that if you are not familiar with a dremel as I am/was not, ONLY use it for the rough work. Use files or sandpaper for the detail work. You have a LOT more control over them and are a lot less likely to screw something up. So far I have use 100, 150, 220 and 600 grit sandpaper.

The way I did the bondo was in VERY small batches with VERY little catalyst. I would but just a touch, not even a big drop, of cataclyst on a paper plate then dip my finger into the bondo and get out a good sized glob to mix with the catalyst. Worked wonders. the first time I tried to use bondo I used WAY too much catalyst and it began to gel in like 5 secs. :(

Once you have worked with the bondo a bit you will see that although it might be a pain there is really no way to screw up the helmet to a point in which the bondo couldn't fix, expect maybe if you used a chainsaw.

You have probably heard it a million times but patience is the key. When you start to get frustrated just set the helmet down and come back to it later. Also keep in mind that you will be well rewarded in the end for every minute you spend prepping. Don't rush it! Take your time or you WILL be sorry.

Heh heh.... here I am writing advice like a pro and I have only done this one project and it wasn't even anything all that complex....

Well Paid Killer wrote:After finally seeing it, I'm very nervous about the whole thing!! :puke Is anybody out there willing to help me out on the fiberglass clean up work?? Haven't ever worked with the stuff and would hate for this to be the first trial and error project!! Have only worked with plastic materials and I don't trust myself on this one!!

Last edited:
fettcicle wrote:Humm....That is a great lookin can ya got there Braks.

I can think of about 100 ways in which I could respoond to that comment but I think I will just keep my big mouth shut ;)

Last edited:
I ment it in the most respectable of ways! :D :D Honestly It is a very nice HELMET, I guess I should have used the word "Bucket" instead of "Can" .... Either way, It is VERY nice.

Brak's Buddy wrote:Dude, I know exactly how you feel. I was in the same boat as you! I have never even successfully pt a model together, much less something of this magnitude! It was extremely daunting at first but as you go along it gets easier and easier.

Well putting it that way I feel a ah... aHHH... OH GOD!! :puke Well not completely better but I see your point. I guess patience and bondo really become your best friends with this fiberglass stuff. At least theres a way for me to correct my flub-ups. Thanks for taking the time to calm my nerves Braks and the best of luck to you on your project!! :D

:cheers

Wow . . . this thread I can see is going to become my saving grace! :)

I'm actually amazed . . and I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but . . . I guess I just thought that everyone here was an amazing expert at all this stuff and that I was the ONLY person on the board who didn't have a clue . . . it's actually kind of nice to know there are a few people like me who are just diving in for the first time and feeling just as inadequate about it as me! hehehe

So, now I'm nervous . . . and yet, at least I feel like I'm part of a group! haha

Thanks guys! :D

Jer

Brak,

That looks great. At some point I hope to get a fiberglass helmet myself. Very helpful info.

Robert

Ego wrote:I guess I just thought that everyone here was an amazing expert at all this stuff and that I was the ONLY person on the board who didn't have a clue . . .

Nope. It is the other way around. There are only a handful of experts here. The rest of us just hide it well by posting a lot. ;)

Last edited:
lol, speak for yourselves :)

Every time I post I get smarter, better, faster...

I am your TDH General KING!

ok, enough of that,
Phil

You've got that bucket off to a great start Brak's! I'm glad you posted...it gives me something to look forward to (and prepare me for) when I get my helmet. :)

That's gonna be a beauty when you're finished. And you're absolutely right, take it slow, patience will pay off big time.

hey could you take a picture with it on? :)

like to see the size. hehehe

I always love to watch your projects transform over the many progress shots.I can hardly wait to see the finished product painted :)

Steve

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back