Boba ROTJ cape

BH 19713

Hunter
Hi, im in the possesion of A US army half shelter and want to make an accurate cape out of it. Is there any guidance how to accurately make the correct seams?

Here is how I did mine.

Attachments

• Return of the Jedi Cape Tutorial.pdf
    301.4 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
If you have any leftover from the shelter half, I'd be more than interested! :)

Just as a note: One half shelter yields one cape that will be “correct”, with the seams, etc. There is still enough material left over to make another, but you would have to do some modifications to make it be accurate if that is what your going for. If not, ignore everything I said.;)

Attachments

• DSC_2644.JPG
    DSC_2644.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 246
Here is how I did mine.
Hiya pal. Have i just ruined my attempts at a Rotj cape, ive been using this reference which is slightly different to the one you did and judging by the fact that your a seasoned vet and the picture i used was some random google pic im starting to worry. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 380
I have an extra finished weathered ready to wear ROTJ cape if you are interested.
Note this is not 501st approved.
I'm a 501 member and they said it was slightly too dark of green to be approved. Other than that it is spot on.
I followed the same instructions ShortFuse did when making it.
I can post pictures if you are interested when I get home tonight.

I have an extra finished weathered ready to wear ROTJ cape if you are interested.
Note this is not 501st approved.
I'm a 501 member and they said it was slightly too dark of green to be approved. Other than that it is spot on.
I followed the same instructions ShortFuse did when making it.
I can post pictures if you are interested when I get home tonight.
Thanks. Good to know.

@BOB4F3TT
Sorry to hear of your ruined cape. :( That sucks when stuff doesn't go our way. Fortunately the ROTJ Cape and the material is easy and cheap to acquire. Should be under $20.00 to acquire a Genuine US Army Half Shelter. They can be found in alot of different places....
eBay - US Army Half Shelter.jpg

Army Surplus Warehouse - US Army Half Shelter.jpg

I got mine off of eBay for $15.00 and another $5.00 to have it shipped. But like many have said in past threads, it is hit or miss if you have one of the Half Shelters with the correct stitiching. The one I ordered didn't have the correct stitiching either - and I had to go to a local alterations shop to have it stiched in the correct way - and was charged about $20.00 to have it done. I pretty much followed the 501st's CRL reference picture....
Boba Fett - ROTJ Cape - 501st CRL.jpg

And here was my end result...
Iron's ROTJ Fett Cape.jpg

I think I came pretty close, I even added in that little plastic piece to the back side of the cape too (y)...
Iron's ROTJ Fett Cape Accessory.jpg

As far as measurements go, there is no standard as everyone stands at different heights. The 501st CRL says....
501st - ROTJ Cape Measurements.jpg

Myself, standing 6ft 2inches tall, my cape measurements came out to be 42 inches by 28 an 1/4 inches...
Iron's Cape.jpg

I hope this information helps!

Regards,
-Iron

Looks like ill have to start again, no biggie, to be fair im not going for 501st approval but wanted it as screen acurate as poss. Here's mine, my mam did the sewing so i suppose she wont mind doing it again Thanks for all your input and advice.

Attachments

• IMG-20210501-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20210501-WA0004.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 152
  • 20210502_173832.jpg
    20210502_173832.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
Depending on how tall you are too that Cape looks a little on the short side. The length looks to be about, what.....2 and a half feet? Also from the looks of it, looks pretty square and should appear to be more rectangular. Just my two cents. Best of luck to ya!

-Iron

Depending on how tall you are too that Cape looks a little on the short side. The length looks to be about, what.....2 and a half feet? Also from the looks of it, looks pretty square and should appear to be more rectangular. Just my two cents. Best of luck to ya!

-Iron
Its 36inch long 30 inch wide which does drop just below the back of my knee. Ive not done any weathering yet just the burns. Probably a good thing i didnt waste too much time on it

@BOB4F3TT
Just a suggestion, but if it was me, I'd try for this....
BOB4F3TT's ROJ Cape.jpg

Shave off the RED boxed portion a little to form the cape more rectangular. And then stitch in some tan/beige thread where you see the TAN/BEIGE Box as per the 501st' reference pic. If you're looking to add that little plastic piece, make sure to include holes for that, that I've marked out in GREEN circles too. I'm not to sure anything can be done about the brass grommet, you could try to carefully remove it. It'd add that additiona damage to the cape. But to me it would be considered an eye sore.

-Iron

@BOB4F3TT
Just a suggestion, but if it was me, I'd try for this....
View attachment 210837

Shave off the RED boxed portion a little to form the cape more rectangular. And then stitch in some tan/beige thread where you see the TAN/BEIGE Box as per the 501st' reference pic. If you're looking to add that little plastic piece, make sure to include holes for that, that I've marked out in GREEN circles too. I'm not to sure anything can be done about the brass grommet, you could try to carefully remove it. It'd add that additiona damage to the cape. But to me it would be considered an eye sore.

-Iron
Im gonna start again i think but thanks for that diagram its brill. Theres a military shop near me and he has loads of shelter halfs so I'll go grab another tomorrow. But thanks again, u guys are ace.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back