Boba Fett SE Build - Joe

joe

Active Hunter
I sent in my application to the 501st for Boba Fett SE. I figured I would share them with the forum! I'll let y'all know if I'm approved or not and what feedback my suit got.

All of the parts are Bobamaker, except for the girth belt, which I made myself.

WcoFSwQ.jpg

r6sx6EJ.jpg

09fHaox.jpg

H4InEEg.jpg

I05T084.jpg

VvxJuBo.jpg

rZzFOqw.jpg

Lookin pretty good! Some things you should probably anticipate to hear back from your GML... If not, then they aren't really doing their job LOL

-ROTJ SE shouldn't have all three hoses on the right gauntlet, only one coming out of the plug block. To be honest, the damage on the right gauntlet doesn't match any of the right gauntlets used for ROTJ SE on screen or in the promo pics, it is ROTJ Hero.
-You are missing the hose that should be taped to the tail of the left gauntlet rocket.
-Also seeing ROTJ horsehair braids, not the mangled synthetic ESB braids that were used for SE.
-Your neck seal should close left over right, not a requirement yet but accurate.
-Flak vest definitely needs some weathering.
-Your right hip pouch should be more beige, not the same off white color as the left hip pouch, not a requirement yet but will be soon.
-Upper JP tank lettering should be a dark, almost black looking red.
-Your girth is pretty loose, needs to be tightened up a bit.
-The black scrape/smudge across your left shoulder bell should be removed. It was seen in ANH SE, not ROTJ or ROTJ SE.
-The right ear of the helmet should be a sand/tan color, could be the lighting but yours looks more gold/metallic.

These are all adjustments that are in line with basic approval and with the references. There are more but if you aren't going for an Infamous level of approval, no need to get into here.

Good luck!
jw

-ROTJ SE shouldn't have all three hoses on the right gauntlet, only one coming out of the plug block. To be honest, the damage on the right gauntlet doesn't match any of the right gauntlets used for ROTJ SE on screen or in the promo pics, it is ROTJ Hero.
I figured I'd probably have to saw off the extra two hoses, but wanted to submit before taking a saw to my gauntlet. Some of the old SE builds I could find also had 3 hoses or ROTJ gauntlets so I guess we'll see. I assume the CRL has changed over time.
-You are missing the hose that should be taped to the tail of the left gauntlet rocket.
I'm going for the filming version, not the promo shot version, but I know what you're talking about.
-Also seeing ROTJ horsehair braids, not the mangled synthetic ESB braids that were used for SE.
Correct. I'm waiting on Woodman to send me the SE braids, but he is behind on orders.
-Your neck seal should close left over right, not a requirement yet but accurate.
Really? I probably need to get a new neck seal then. The one I got was sewn to the vest so I had to cut it off since it closes in the front. Good to know! Thanks for pointing that out.
-Flak vest definitely needs some weathering.
Is it cause it's so white? I basically need to dirty it so it's less white looking and more grey?
-Your right hip pouch should be more beige, not the same off white color as the left hip pouch, not a requirement yet but will be soon.
Do you know when this will change in the CRL?
-Upper JP tank lettering should be a dark, almost black looking red.
Are you talking about the symbols on the top left and top right? I'm not confident in painting, but that seems relatively easy to paint over with some black mixed with a tiny bit of red.
-Your girth is pretty loose, needs to be tightened up a bit.
The girth is definitely a weird one. The gap is supposed to be 6-8 inches, which my top is 6 and my bottom is 8. The bottom part of my girth barely fits over the cod piece, but the top one is pretty loose. I could probably sauder some more holes in the black straps to tighten it up. So easy fix I think? It just may be 4 inches on the top and like 7 inches on the bottom.
-The black scrape/smudge across your left shoulder bell should be removed. It was seen in ANH SE, not ROTJ or ROTJ SE.
I don't believe there is a differentiation in the CRL for this between ROTJ SE or ANH SE, however, if I have to change it I honestly have no idea how since I suck at painting.
-The right ear of the helmet should be a sand/tan color, could be the lighting but yours looks more gold/metallic.
Could be it looks the same to me comparing it to visual references, but maybe I just don't have an eye for it. If I have to paint over it then I don't think I'll be able to join the 501st since I'm absolutely terrible at painting.

Regardless, I appreciate the feedback! Hopefully I can just get basic approval with some minor tweaks and no painting. Otherwise, this is just a Halloween costume and sweet display piece. It is what it is I suppose.

I figured I'd probably have to saw off the extra two hoses, but wanted to submit before taking a saw to my gauntlet. Some of the old SE builds I could find also had 3 hoses or ROTJ gauntlets so I guess we'll see. I assume the CRL has changed over time.
-SE has always only had 1 hose. Utilizing other peoples costumes is never a best practice as they could be severely outdated, always use the film era references.

I'm going for the filming version, not the promo shot version, but I know what you're talking about.
-Ok, so you should not have any hip pouches, no boot spikes and no shin tools as they were not worn on-screen and also sport that huge gouge in the jet pack from the skiff scene, right? I hope not :)
--The SE CRL is in need of an update, mostly to Infamous but some to Basic, and we are actively working towards that. The mention of the on-screen version will be removed soon, as it is a variant that is missing consistent elements of the costume and the character in general, like the ones I mentioned above. The promo shots are the only versions of a complete ROTJ SE set up, so to alleviate the confusion at multiple levels, we will be going with the set up that is consistently the most complete representation of the character.

Correct. I'm waiting on Woodman to send me the SE braids, but he is behind on orders.
-Awesome, Woody's the man.

Really? I probably need to get a new neck seal then. The one I got was sewn to the vest so I had to cut it off since it closes in the front. Good to know! Thanks for pointing that out.
-Shouldn't be too difficult just making the left close over the right, no need to cut it off, just make the left close over the right in the front and swap the velcro or hooks. Easy peasy and if you can't do it, a seamstress should be able to or even whoever you got the kit from should offer to fix it and make it accurate.

Is it cause it's so white? I basically need to dirty it so it's less white looking and more grey?
-Exactly, not necessarily more grey, just not so white. Light misting, not too much, less is more.

Do you know when this will change in the CRL?
-The ROTJ Hero CRL has been updated, SE will be alligning very soon.

Are you talking about the symbols on the top left and top right? I'm not confident in painting, but that seems relatively easy to paint over with some black mixed with a tiny bit of red.
-Yep top left and right, just need to darken the lettering a bit, you got this.

The girth is definitely a weird one. The gap is supposed to be 6-8 inches, which my top is 6 and my bottom is 8. The bottom part of my girth barely fits over the cod piece, but the top one is pretty loose. I could probably sauder some more holes in the black straps to tighten it up. So easy fix I think? It just may be 4 inches on the top and like 7 inches on the bottom.
-This is another detail that will be updated, in the references, the girth buckles are completely hidden by the ammo belt and reside fully above the kidney armor. Both your girth and ammo belt should be positioned a little higher and your kidney armor is riding a little low too. Though it is unseen, the gap looks to be 4-5" for both the top and bottom but again, it is unseen so as long as your ammo belt covers it, who can judge?

I don't believe there is a differentiation in the CRL for this between ROTJ SE or ANH SE, however, if I have to change it I honestly have no idea how since I suck at painting.
-The only version the SE CRL refers to is ROTJ SE, the text and the pictures coincide with ROTJ SE. The ANH version is literally the ROTJ costume with the shoulder bells on the wrong shoulders and non-hero jet pack.

Could be it looks the same to me comparing it to visual references, but maybe I just don't have an eye for it. If I have to paint over it then I don't think I'll be able to join the 501st since I'm absolutely terrible at painting.
-Unfortunately if the color is a metallic gold at all, it is 100% incorrect.

Regardless, I appreciate the feedback! Hopefully I can just get basic approval with some minor tweaks and no painting. Otherwise, this is just a Halloween costume and sweet display piece. It is what it is I suppose.

Who painted this kit for you? I dont really know anyone around here that wouldn't fix mistakes, it's pretty much just an unwritten rule that we painters assume when doing commissions. If they refuse to update the pieces, for whatever reason, there are plenty of great artists that would be willing to update your pieces and get them up to the level of approval you are looking for.

Who knows though, you could have a GML that really doesn't understand the costume nor care about the requirements. It's a shame and happens far too often. It's awesome that you posted up here so that a more educated look can be given to your kit and hopefully help steer you in the right direction.

Again, good luck bud
jw

-SE has always only had 1 hose. Utilizing other peoples costumes is never a best practice as they could be severely outdated, always use the film era references.

-Ok, so you should not have any hip pouches, no boot spikes and no shin tools as they were not worn on-screen and also sport that huge gouge in the jet pack from the skiff scene, right? I hope not :)
--The SE CRL is in need of an update, mostly to Infamous but some to Basic, and we are actively working towards that. The mention of the on-screen version will be removed soon, as it is a variant that is missing consistent elements of the costume and the character in general, like the ones I mentioned above. The promo shots are the only versions of a complete ROTJ SE set up, so to alleviate the confusion at multiple levels, we will be going with the set up that is consistently the most complete representation of the character.

-Awesome, Woody's the man.

-Shouldn't be too difficult just making the left close over the right, no need to cut it off, just make the left close over the right in the front and swap the velcro or hooks. Easy peasy and if you can't do it, a seamstress should be able to or even whoever you got the kit from should offer to fix it and make it accurate.

-Exactly, not necessarily more grey, just not so white. Light misting, not too much, less is more.

-The ROTJ Hero CRL has been updated, SE will be alligning very soon.

-This is another detail that will be updated, in the references, the girth buckles are completely hidden by the ammo belt and reside fully above the kidney armor. Both your girth and ammo belt should be positioned a little higher and your kidney armor is riding a little low too. Though it is unseen, the gap looks to be 4-5" for both the top and bottom but again, it is unseen so as long as your ammo belt covers it, who can judge?

-The only version the SE CRL refers to is ROTJ SE, the text and the pictures coincide with ROTJ SE. The ANH version is literally the ROTJ costume with the shoulder bells on the wrong shoulders and non-hero jet pack.

-Unfortunately if the color is a metallic gold at all, it is 100% incorrect.

Who painted this kit for you? I dont really know anyone around here that wouldn't fix mistakes, it's pretty much just an unwritten rule that we painters assume when doing commissions. If they refuse to update the pieces, for whatever reason, there are plenty of great artists that would be willing to update your pieces and get them up to the level of approval you are looking for.

Who knows though, you could have a GML that really doesn't understand the costume nor care about the requirements. It's a shame and happens far too often. It's awesome that you posted up here so that a more educated look can be given to your kit and hopefully help steer you in the right direction.

Again, good luck bud
jw

Looks like Daz himself painted everything. I know lots of fetts that have been approved without having to adjust anything to the paint on BobaMakers work. Daz does paint the ears a gold metallic but shouldn't be a problem.

I believe Tennantlim has a full SE suit by BobaMaker and is 501st approved. So I have no doubt in my mind this will be approved as long as some of the slight issues addressed by jbdubz are fixed.

If anything, I'd also message tennatlim(I forget his name on here) for advice as well!

Makes sense, I feel good about sawing it off since I just need a metal handsaw. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix just potentially time consuming.
Yeah it basically comes down to a lot of confusion since even the current CRL visual reference doesn't have the extra duct taped hose. Regardless, even that doesn't seem too difficult to fix. Some adhesive, a hose, some sort of connector buckle and some tape basically.
This is definitely on the backburner for my changes, but I was thinking of getting a new neck seal anyways so I agree it should be easy to fix.
Gotcha, I'm good with this too. Weathering it with some black paint water and a spray bottle sounds easy to me.
Sounds good. I think I'll have to be extra careful, but since the symbol is already painted it is basically tracing work.
Interesting... Good information. Most of the visual references show it resting in a similar position as mine, but a little tighter. I'll need to experiment with it. I'll have to see what to do about the cod riding low. I have a relatively long torso and short legs so it may just be my body type. The cod should be resting on my hips correct? Since that is where it is riding in the photos. The cod piece isn't quite long enough into the crotch since if I bring it any higher you'll see the crotch inseam of my jumpsuit, but if the crotch inseam was taken in any tighter it would make the jumpsuit unwearable for me since it'd be physically painful to my crotch.
Yeah that's where a lot of the confusion still comes into it for me. I'm not sure what to do about this one other than having to commission a new shoulder piece.
Who painted this kit for you?
It's all painted by Bobamaker circa 2016. I bought it from someone on the TDH unfitted basically just a raw kit. I'll have to see what I can do... but if I can't get basic approval without painting over the helmet/shoulder armor then it may be awhile until I can get newly commissioned pieces and get basic approval. Thanks for the feedback. I was already planning on tweaking my jumpsuit to an Arkady one since I like the more light grey and less blue look. If I get approved all of the feedback you've given are things I'll try to figure out how to work on since there is always room for improvement.

Looks like Daz himself painted everything. I know lots of fetts that have been approved without having to adjust anything to the paint on BobaMakers work. Daz does paint the ears a gold metallic but shouldn't be a problem.

I believe Tennantlim has a full SE suit by BobaMaker and is 501st approved. So I have no doubt in my mind this will be approved as long as some of the slight issues addressed by jbdubz are fixed.

If anything, I'd also message tennatlim(I forget his name on here) for advice as well!

I hope so! I don't mind all of the costume/fitting tweaks like weathering, hose stuff, etc. It's just when it comes to painting I cringe since I'm legitimately terrible at it.

Hi Joe. First off, welcome to the madness!

I had a complete set of Bobamaker SE helmet and armor kit too, and was approved up to Infamous level in 2017 with very little adjustments aside from alterations to the flightsuit and a few rigging points.
26962472-10155309194876344-5668830100487574048-o.jpg

However, the CRL has since evolved with new discoveries based on better quality reference images, so my SE costume should technically no longer be eligible for even basic approval. In any case, I've converted it to the ROTJ Hero with significant changes including painting OVER Daz's beautiful paintwork on the jetpack and right gauntlet, among other parts. I had to learn to use an airbrush, sewing, and several new skills to achieve the highest level of accuracy I could realistically reach with my build. It is still not perfect, but I'm immensely satisfied with it.

My point is this; it comes down to your vision for your costume. If you're happy with simply getting approved with a Boba Fett costume, great! The kids and most adult fans will go nuts seeing you in person at hospital visits, conventions, and charity events. Or maybe you linger around these forums long enough and decide later to enhance the quality/accuracy of your costume, one part at a time, more power to you! You will realize that most of us here are more than a little passionate (bordering on obsessed) about our builds and will go to great lengths for that extra detail on our cape, grommet and plastic screw attachment method, or even the type of foil tape on one of the jetpack greebles. It is a constant WIP.

Your replies to Jb indicate you're on the right track, but you may want to consider repainting your helmet's right ear. None of the Fett helmets have metallic gold ears. Otherwise, good luck with your submission!

I wore Boba out to some bars for Halloween and it was a blast. Still waiting on new gauntlets, but figured I'd share this photo with everyone!

IMG_0334.jpg

Got around to weathering the vest. I'm showing the inside to show how white it was. I am wearing this weathered vest in the photo from my last
post.

Also included a few of me wearing it at the office.

IMG_20191116_145000.jpg
IMG_20191116_145020.jpg
IMG_20191116_145737.jpg
IMG959770.jpg
IMG959771.jpg

Just as an update, I was able to get rid of the black smudge by taking some alcohol to the smudge and most of it off. Leaving some of the basecoat of BobaMaker on it still.

I then bought an airbrush and eye-balled Vallejo Air Model Yellow and Vallejo Air Model Red and mixed it to an orange that was similar to BobaMakers, basically a lot of yellow and like one drop of red... Sprayed it on and then sprayed the tiniest bit of black far away from it to get some weathering and dull the orangeness.

As someone with literal 0 airbrushing experience and 0 painting experience I'm really happy with the result!

One step closer to approval!

IMG_20191204_225944.jpg

Hey everyone. I've made several changes to the kit and took some new submission photos to see if there was anything else I needed to change before I take the "real" ones.

Some of the major changes are:
  • Hose attached to missile on left gauntlet.
  • Jetpack greeblie turned brass and markings turned dark red instead of red.
  • Right gauntlet has correct SE markings instead of ROTJ Hero.
  • Gloves are new and padded from Mike M.
  • Shoulder bell black mark removed.
  • Helmet rangefinder is now an Earth/Sand color instead of metallic gold.
  • Helmet has the extra SE white mark on the right cheek.
  • Armor gap from collar to chest plates is significantly reduced.
  • New Wookiee braids tied correctly.
  • Right ammo pouch is beige/brown instead of off-white.
  • Neck seal closes left over right now.
  • 3 hoses on right gauntlet are now just 1.
  • Correct push button instead of toggle switches on right gauntlet.
  • Painting of the dart tips on right gauntlet.
There may be a few other changes I'm forgetting, but these are the major ones. My THEBHG.net thread has more of the process of each change for any other SE costumers out there.

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

Hopefully the last time I suit up before basic approval.

New neckseal that Thiggette made for me. Sawed off EE3 scope, added 4 ammo pouches to the belt, and I have overspray on my left knee elastic band, but I didn't post the approval poses here.
helmetoff2.jpg

actionpose4.jpg

actionpose3.jpg

finalapprovalaction2.jpg

finalapprovalaction.jpg

Last edited:
Drudging this up from the dead.

Went to a convention recently and uploaded some footage on YouTube for fun.

It takes a little bit to upload/process the HD so it may be kind of crappy resolution for the next few hours until YouTube gets it processed for 1080p and 4K.

A fun action shot as well with a new helmet and some minor modifications.

D3_11_b_final.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back