Boba Fett RotJ WIP

Strider

Hunter
Hey guys, happy to get on the Boba Fett RotJ train as well
default_biggrin.png
I’ve not been very active in the last 2 years but somehow this Boba build has re-ignited my passion for a screen accurate build. I’m really looking forward to build a RotJ Boba as accurate as possible while trying to keep costs reasonable (yeah, I see that smile on your face ;-)

So without further ado, this is my shopping list (already acquired, ordered and planned to make myself):

Shoes - Imperialboots

Gloves - Imperialboots

Helmet – FPH2

Aluminum Stalk - FMF

Visor - BM

Collar Armor - BM

Back Armor - BM

Chest armor - BM

Shoulder armor - BM

Harness – Bigdane

Jet Pack - BM

Flightsuit - BM

Cod armor - FP

kidney armor - FP

knee armor - FP

Shin tools - Original

Ankle spats - Selfmade

Ammo Belt - First Imperialboots but then decided to make my own

Girth Belt – Original girth belt to be dyed

Neckseal - BM

Wookiee Braids – Unknown, from a buddy

Cape – Original Army tent

Gauntlets – FP with some modifications of my own

Vest - Selfmade

Side Pockets – Selfmade (I would think those should be the same as the bikerscout pouches

Blaster – from a buddy, I believe Sidewinder

Let the fun begin :D

Last edited:
Okay, first stop: the gauntlets. I wouldn't have thought it but these little things took me longer to put together than a full bikerscout costume
default_biggrin.png
But granted, first times always take waay longer particularly when one has to obsessively check references in order to get everything build correctly. So here I am at the moment:

Strider_gauntlets1.jpg

Since I was (or am) going to do the RotJ "Hero" version I thought the paint and weathering job should be pretty much straight forward - far from it! Some helpful conversation made me realize that there are not only numerous different "Hero" versions out there (incl. the stunt versions) but also the gauntlets changed during filming. So while eg. the flamethrower lip was still present in the Jabba palace scenes, by the time our Hero made it to the sail barge that part has been lost. So the tasks were twofold; first deciding which version to do (I opted for the sail barge scene) and then identifying the exact gauntlets used and finding good reference images for the exact model.

For the left gauntlet it was rather straighforward because the battle damage was unambigious:

Left_gauntlet_identification.jpg

Interestingly this Hero version is different from the MoM one in 2 ways; the blue color from calculator pad is missing and the button next to the red light is different as well.

The right gauntlet was a bit more tricky because the different versions all look somewhat similiar. However, I believe I've identified the correct version in the SW costumes book as well as in the Art of Star Wars exhibition from 2000.

Right_gauntlet_identification.jpg

A great ressource for reference images can be found here -->

Boba Fett Reference

Next step: Painting the final coat and replicatin the battle damage!

Hey Rafal, thanks for chiming in :) So you're saying that my screencap of the right gauntlet is from the stunt and not the 'Hero' costume? So which references do we have strictly for the Hero costume - just the ones from Jabbas palace (incl. BTS) and the series of the image on the very right?

Strider - Nice start, and great shopping list! I'm also doing a ROTJ build and nearing the end of my shopping list see below, I think I just need about another $800-$1000 and that should just about do it for me. Also need to get my airbrush - I'm looking at the iWata Eclipse HP-CS Airbrush and the iWata Ninja Compressor.

DescriptionVendorStatus
Flight SuitArkadyOrdered
GlovesMoW StudiosReceived
BootsImperial BootsReceived
CapeUS Army Half Shelter - Self MadeReceived
GirthbeltMoW StudiosReceived
Ammo BeltDelta 13 LeatherworksStill Need
Wookie BraidsObtained via eBayReceived
HelmetBoba MakerOrdered
Armor - CollarBoba MakerStill Need
Armor - BackBoba MakerStill Need
Armor - ChestBoba MakerOrdered
Armor - ShoulderBoba MakerOrdered
Armor - CodBoba MakerOrdered
Armor - KidneyBoba MakerOrdered
Armor - KneeBoba MakerOrdered
Armor - Chest LED'sFettronicsReceived
Armor - Metal Studs (Collar/Back & Cod/Kidney)Etsy - QuestDesignCanadaStill Need
Wrist GauntletsBoba MakerOrdered
Wrist Gauntlet - Metal Flamethrower NozzlesMachine CraftStill Need
Wrist Gauntlets - Metal DartsEtsy - QuestDesignCanadaReceived
Wrist Gauntlets - RocketEtsy - QuestDesignCanadaStill Need
Wrist Gauntlets - HoseHome DepotReceived
Z-6 JetpackStill Vetting OptionsStill Need
Jetpack - Metal Beacon w/LEDEtsy - QuestDesignCanadaStill Need
Jetpack - Metal StabilizerEtsy - QuestDesignCanadaStill Need
Jetpack - Metal ExhaustEtsy - QuestDesignCanadaStill Need
Jetpack - HarnessMoW StudiosReceived
EE-3 BlasterStill Vetting OptionsPending
Shin Tools - MoWMoW StudiosReceived
Voice BoxTRampStill Need
Decal - Helmet KillstripesDeLucks Design - Luckysy31Received
Decal - Jetpack MarkingsDeLucks Design - Luckysy31Received

It's gonna be fun building this - I just hope when Halloween comes around this year, that we're all going to be allowed outside again (COVID-19) so I can show it all off! Have fun with your build! :) (y)

Thanks,
-Iron

Hey Rafal, thanks for chiming in :) So you're saying that my screencap of the right gauntlet is from the stunt and not the 'Hero' costume? So which references do we have strictly for the Hero costume - just the ones from Jabbas palace (incl. BTS) and the series of the image on the very right?

Yes, as I said all the Jabba's palace scenes, the still images (especially those with the green background) and maybe the early skiff scenes (before Boba Fett fly off).

Do you guys have an ETA on the things you ordered from bobamaker? Also were you having him paint the items? I'm just getting started on my ROTJ Fett and am interested in seeing more in hand pictures of his pieces.

Do you guys have an ETA on the things you ordered from bobamaker? Also were you having him paint the items? I'm just getting started on my ROTJ Fett and am interested in seeing more in hand pictures of his pieces.
Hi sandtrooper8867 - My ROTJ Boba Maker Armor I’m having him paint/weather what I would consider the more difficult pieces which are, Chest, Knee and Shoulder. I’ll be handling the Cod/Kidney, Collar/Back and attempting to do the Gauntlets! (I believe myself to have an acute eye for attention to detail) having an expert take care of the armor where color and blends and decals are important is something I would pay for. I only fear the gauntlets. But I’m confident in my skill, just don’t wanna make mistakes.

-Iron

Yes, chest pieces should come within the next days whereas the fibreglas jet pack comes as last item in September. I'll do all the assembling and painting myself.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get all of the torso armor and knee pieces already painted. The gauntlets, jetpack & helmet still left to get so looking at options for those. I like that the bobamaker jetpack comes with the metal beacon and stabilizer included plus the folding fins on the rocket so was wanting more details on it.

Strider - Nice work! (y)
A couple questions:
1) What colors did you use? (Manufacturer & Paint number)
2) Just curious on how you achieved the worn edges? (In one picture, it almost looks brushed on - Still fine damn work sir!)

My Boba Maker ROTJ Gauntlets should be here in the next couple weeks. For the worn edges I grabbed some Humbrol Masking fluid and plan to peel it back after I apply the red color to the gauntlets.

Thanks,
-Iron

Strider - Nice work! (y)
A couple questions:
1) What colors did you use? (Manufacturer & Paint number)
2) Just curious on how you achieved the worn edges? (In one picture, it almost looks brushed on - Still fine damn work sir!)

My Boba Maker ROTJ Gauntlets should be here in the next couple weeks. For the worn edges I grabbed some Humbrol Masking fluid and plan to peel it back after I apply the red color to the gauntlets.

Thanks,
-Iron

Hey Iron,

thank you :) Well, the paint wasn't too accurate actually; I had to dull it down with matte clear coat first and after that I misted it black with the airbrush. I do like the final look but if I had to do it again I'd definitely choose a more accurate color to start with.
I did some of the chipping effects with humbrol maskol and others just brushing it on. I really didn't like to do it like that because it doesn't look very realistic - but that's how they did the originals...

Last edited:
Strider - Just echoing Boochman, but yeah that blaster looks pretty awesome! Great job! I recently painted my own blaster but went overboard on the rust effects. I wasn't happy with it so I recently started over, gonna go lightly this time around. What colors were you using for the Blaster and Gauntlets?

Thanks,
-Iron

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back