Boba Fett ROTJ cape dimensions

NarcolepticEwok

New Hunter
Hello, Im in the process of making a boba fett costume in time for Halloween. I'm only building a rough copy of the costume, not too many things will be accurate, but its still going to look half *** decent. This is my first post here on TDH, but I've managed to get a lot of the costume done with the stickies at the top of the forums. I WILL be making a movie accurate suit later on, but not now.

My question is, are there any templates, or does anyone know the dimensions of the Boba Fett ROTJ cape?

Mine was about 36"x28" or so when I started. Cutting/weathering the edges took off almost an inch or so in some areas. The longest part of my cape hangs down about halfway through my calf.

Has anyone dealt with Creative Art Shop on Etsy? They’re offering an ROTJ Cape in Olive Green, but I’m thinking of purchasing an original ‘US Army shelter half’…..

Has anyone dealt with Creative Art Shop on Etsy? They’re offering an ROTJ Cape in Olive Green, but I’m thinking of purchasing an original ‘US Army shelter half’…..
BarryBarrano76
Do you have a link to that specific cape in question on the Etsy store?

Just in my opinion. You’ll most likely get better results if you simply acquire a US Army Half Shelter and make one yourself. Here is what I was able to conjure up using just this that I got off of eBay for $15.00....
Half Shelter All Pics.jpg

If your careful you should be able to build two capes out of this half shelter - one of which you can sell in the cargo hold and recoup some of the cost.
Iron's ROTJ Fett Cape.jpg

ECCC - Dec 4th 2021.jpg

This was my very first cosplay I ever put together. So I know it can be done!
:cool: (y)

Best,
-Iron

BarryBarrano76

Just in my opinion. You’ll most likely get better results if you simply acquire a US Army Half Shelter and make one yourself. Here is what I was able to conjure up using just this that I got off of eBay for $15.00....
View attachment 232374

If your careful you should be able to build two capes out of this half shelter - one of which you can sell in the cargo hold and recoup some of the cost.
View attachment 232375

View attachment 232376

Best,
-Iron
Hey Iron, that’s awesome! Yeah looking at some shelters but they’re not cheap, postage is the biggest killer. I have a few examples but they range in cost from $44 to $100 AUD over here (I’m in Australia BTW). Do you have a link to a store that has a few in stock. Maybe I can get economy post. I’m after one that has the same correct stitching patterns as yours
-Barry

BarryBarrano76

View attachment 232374

View attachment 232375

View attachment 232376

Best,
-Iron
Etsy link:

I’m after one that has the same correct stitching patterns as yours
BarryBarrano76
That "same correct stitching pattern" you refer to, was re-created by me. Or rather by an alterations lady that I paid to get it done. In my research, it is rare to get/find that Half Shelter with that correct stitching. Best of luck to ya.

Also....that Creative Art shop on Etsy, I found their stuff just.....Meh. Just ones opinion, but I would NOT spend my hard earned dollar there.

Best,
-Iron

BarryBarrano76
That "same correct stitching pattern" you refer to, was re-created by me. Or rather by an alterations lady that I paid to get it done. In my research, it is rare to get/find that Half Shelter with that correct stitching. Best of luck to ya.

Also....that Creative Art shop on Etsy, I found their stuff just.....Meh. Just ones opinion, but I would NOT spend my hard earned dollar there.

Best,
-Iron
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I thought as much ref: Creative Art Shop. There’s plenty of cotton duck material at the local fabric store here, I could probablysew something up that resembles their products for a tenth of the cost‍? Particularly for my custom Modern Merc setup. For my ROTJ build I’ll purchase a proper shelter half and get it stitched as you have done.

BarryBarrano76

Best,
-Iron
Any chance you remember how much you paid the alterations lady? I have very basic sewing skills and I’m thinking of possibly learning to do it myself but using a seamstress seems so much easier

BarryBarrano76

Best,
-Iron
Have you run across shelters, or heard someone mention they’ve found a shelter, that has that exact stitching? Like you I haven’t seen one in my research and just assumed the costume designers stitched two sections together with that white thread stitch. All the shelters I’ve seen have the OD green stitching on the left but I can’t find one that has the white thread stitch.

Timgree
I've heard of people say they have found it. I've just found it to be easier to re-create (or have my seamstress re-create) that stitching. Additionally, because my cape in particular is one piece of material (Not two), they way my seamstress does it is she folds the cape material in a zig-zag fashion, irons it down flat and then stitches it kinda like this....
Iron's Cape.jpg

Hope that makes sense. When I first brought it to her and asked what I wanted, she said "why cut it in two only to sew it back together? You'll only have problems down the road" She actually broke out her iron to show me her idea, and I was like "Cool, do that!" She also created that other smaller seam to the left of the bigger seam too. I had her do that with the olive drab color thread, and as per the pic on the 501st CRL I opt'd to have her do the bigger seam with a tan/beige thread.

Best,
-Iron

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back