Boba Fett Prototype / Supertrooper Helmet (ToEleven ESB V2)

clown3y

Hunter
Last year, I have painted up a GMH into a (what I called) Supertrooper helmet. Rightfully so, someone mentioned that it isn't an actual Supertrooper helmet because I still included the dent.

Motivated by this and the fact that I still had a ToEleven ESB V2 helmet at hand, I have decided to tackle that project once again.

This time while getting rid of the dent and also making it as shiny and glossy as possible (to me).

The steps were simple but a little time consuming
  1. Evening out the wavy brow as much as possible
  2. Filling in the dent
  3. Wet sanding the entire thing with 240 / 400 grit paper
  4. Primer followed by filler
  5. Wet sanding with 800 grit
  6. White color (I did mess up a few times, so that was TRULY time consuming and nerve wrecking)
  7. Once I was happy with the general finish, I let the helmet dry for 3 days
  8. Wet sanding the entire thing with 2000 grit sanding paper to get rid of all unevenness in the paint
  9. Polishing paste
  10. Car paint polish
  11. Black acrylic paint on the inside of the helmet
What's left to do?
  1. Installing the metal borden connector
  2. Hand painting all details like turn signals and a few more
  3. Installing the visor
  4. Certainly more than that, but I can't think of anything right now :D
There are still some major and minor imperfections here and there, but for now I feel very comfortable with leaving it the way it is. I am certainly tempted to one day do the whole costume, but only once I get done with my ESB build. Haha.

DSC03977-4.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that gloss looks fantastic! So there was no clear coat other than the paste and polish? I am doing a similar technique for another project but added a clear coat over the paint. Still need to do the wet sanding before using polish and wax. I completely agree that having a supertrooper costume would be a nice way to go.

Wow, that gloss looks fantastic! So there was no clear coat other than the paste and polish? I am doing a similar technique for another project but added a clear coat over the paint. Still need to do the wet sanding before using polish and wax. I completely agree that having a supertrooper costume would be a nice way to go.

Thank you very much!

Yup, there is no clear coat involved here. Getting that white coat right took me so many tries that I couldn't bother spraying one more coat over this helmet and just wanted to be done with it :D Also I didn't have any more gloss coat and all the hardware stores are closed in Germany due to a lock down, which is part of the reason of course.

It looks great, but... The silver should cover the right upper ear base too, not just the ear cap. I don't know if you did this (it's not visible on your photo), but it looks that the small rectangle on the left upper cheek and the channel of the left ear is painted black:
Boba-Fett-Costume-Test-Fitting-11.jpg

It is possible that the 2 dental files on the back of the helmet were red or painted red.

It looks great, but... The silver should cover the right upper ear base too, not just the ear cap. I don't know if you did this (it's not visible on your photo), but it looks that the small rectangle on the left upper cheek and the channel of the left ear is painted black:View attachment 205044

It is possible that the 2 dental files on the back of the helmet were red or painted red.
A big thank you to all of you for your kind comments. :) Thanks as well for your great input, Levi!

The ear is indeed a little oversight which I'll fix once I have some spare time. The ear channel and the rectangle on the upper cheek are painted black, yes.

I feel like some day, I might revisit this helmet once again, likely with one of the Super-Trooper-ized ESB Hero casts.

Here's a great image of one of the prototype Boba Fett helmets (which I believe was painted as the Promo #1/ROTJ helmet) which clearly shows that the lower half of the rear keyhole was covered with a piece of visor material (you can see the double transparency of the T visor and the rear keyhole piece):
ST Helmet.png

ST Helmet Rear Keyhole.png

those arrows look black in these pics and in the color pic that cut out on the cheek looks white. I have contended the arrows were red/black for some time and been told I Was wrong

There was only 1 Supertrooper/prototype costume made which was converted to the Pre-Pro #1 suit. The other 5 helmets got their dents because these were made specifically for Boba Fett. So, while these dented helmets have more or less the Supertrooper colors, these are more like prototype Boba Fett helmets:
ST Helmets.png

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back