Flight Suit Best way to weather a flight suit

EagleFett

New Hunter
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this has been discussed recently, but I've got an ESB flight suit on the way and was wondering if anyone has any new methods or tricks on what is the best way for weathering a flight suit?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

As I believe this has been discussed several times throughout the form but I’m happy to give me 2cents. Many ESB reference photos suck. Under / over exposed so it’s kinda hard to nail down exactly the weathering pattern ( or lack there of).
Many folks go with rattle cans for Weathering. Other resort to acrylics as a viable option. I have personally used watered down acrylic paints adding layer upon layers to achieve the look desired. I think I worked on my ROTJ suit for the better part of a year on and off to getting it where it needed to be using this option. You can always wet fabric as well while Weathering to further blend.
by no means am I a expert.
Shane

As I believe this has been discussed several times throughout the form but I’m happy to give me 2cents. Many ESB reference photos suck. Under / over exposed so it’s kinda hard to nail down exactly the weathering pattern ( or lack there of).
Many folks go with rattle cans for Weathering. Other resort to acrylics as a viable option. I have personally used watered down acrylic paints adding layer upon layers to achieve the look desired. I think I worked on my ROTJ suit for the better part of a year on and off to getting it where it needed to be using this option. You can always wet fabric as well while Weathering to further blend.
by no means am I a expert.
Shane
That’s perfect, thank you for your advice. I’ll have a look to source the cans and work out the best shade for the suit when it arrives.

That’s perfect, thank you for your advice. I’ll have a look to source the cans and work out the best shade for the suit when it arrives.
If your Uk based, I highly recommend “Dirty down”, weathering sprays. These sprays have been used in the movie industry for some time, including Game of thrones/ Harry Potter and the new Star Wars trilogy. I was recommended them by Clothears, as the colours available are spot on, compared to reference photos. I would recommend getting “Nicotine yellow” and “mid brown”, using their ageing sprays.

If your Uk based, I highly recommend “Dirty down”, weathering sprays. These sprays have been used in the movie industry for some time, including Game of thrones/ Harry Potter and the new Star Wars trilogy. I was recommended them by Clothears, as the colours available are spot on, compared to reference photos. I would recommend getting “Nicotine yellow” and “mid brown”, using their ageing sprays.
That’s brilliant. Yeah im UK based so that would be idea for me then, thank you.

That’s brilliant. Yeah im UK based so that would be idea for me then, thank you.
No problem man, glad to help. Here’s just a photo I took, experimenting with these colours.
The photo on the right side is the original suit, photo on the left is me (colour of my fabric is white, just for reference purposes).
A24DCB57-EA5F-4591-8A3F-ABC11AE005C0.jpeg

That does look decent in comparison to the original suit thank you, I’ll definitely look at dirty down then. Thank you
Yep colours are spot on, if I had the flightsuit at this time, it would look right on the mark ;).
The bottom of the suit is mostly mid brown layered with nicotine yellow. As you go up to the higher waist and gloves, it’s mostly nicotine yellow.

B5C91830-B908-4418-BE28-3E18E89BEDF0.jpeg

FCEB1F5B-31BB-418C-AE1E-92CAE76FB5CE.jpeg

Yes, unless you plan to wash it off, a couple goes in the washer, would remove the stains. They use this stuff a lot in the film industry, I imagine that’s because it’s long lasting and reliable.
Here’s a link to their page :

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back