Best black wash weathering technique?

jhfagan

Active Hunter
I am thinking about adding one more step to my ROTJ Hasbro Black Series conversion, and it occurred to me I've heard of people doing a kind of a "wash" to even out and slightly dull down the helmet to give it a worn look.
What is your best technique for this?
20200715_232644.jpg

What I usually do is thin down some acrylic craft paint to where it is mostly water with just a little paint. I use a large, soft bristle brush to apply to entire surface. I then use dry paper towels to blot the excess off until I get the desired effect.

What I usually do is thin down some acrylic craft paint to where it is mostly water with just a little paint. I use a large, soft bristle brush to apply to entire surface. I then use dry paper towels to blot the excess off until I get the desired effect.
Like, a black, or dark gun metal or something?

I’d say definitely acrylic. Much easier to undo any. “happy accidents”.
indeed.
at one point i had thought about rubbing art style charcoal stick on a bunched up paper towel, and blotting the charcoal dust around where I wanted the weathering/scoring...but I'm now thinking the acrylic wash on a paper towel may work better.

also maybe try woodland scenics liquid pigment. It dries into a fine dust and has no binder like paint. The raw umber color is most versatile, esp for a world-worn look. If you use it well, it can add a complex variety of sheen/dullness to anything.

Tamiya Flat Black acrylic, dilute with warm water, blot it on with tightly balled up paper towel, wipe off the excess, and voila!
20200727_120430.jpg20200727_120431.jpg20200727_120516.jpg20200727_121347.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back