Attaching my armor to my vest ?

I just started to nut together my outfit and i have both my vest and my chest armor. Can anyone take me through what i would have to do to attach my armor to my vest in the best way ?

Some members use snaps, and some use Velcro.

I used sticky-back Industrial Velcro on the back of the armor plates, and regular Velcro sewn onto the vest itself. Worked like a charm!

batninja said:

I used sticky-back Industrial Velcro on the back of the armor plates, and regular Velcro sewn onto the vest itself. Worked like a charm!

Agree. Thats the same as I do, and only finishing my vest front today ( see the My Torso assembly !! post ), I came to the conclusion that velcro is the better choice. The snaps MAY be stronger, but the have to be sewn one 100% exact. You can vary with the velcro a little, making it a little easier IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
batninja said:

ya, same here. use either snaps or velcro. i remember there's a tutorial for attaching armor with snaps, but there is no tutorial for velcro (like a tutorial is even needed:lol: )

oh, and what does IMO stand for?

EDIT: there's a tutorial on tk-409's site. you'll be sent on his homepage, click on boba, and scroll down somewhere. look at the left.http://www.tk409.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Industrial strength velcro worked the best for me. I tried several other options first including putting screws through the vest and having nuts hold them on from the back and also I used snaps. The screws were uncomfortable and the snaps always popped off.

I epoxyed short bolts to the armour and bolted it to the vest,
worked a treat ;) and saves all that sewing:facepalm

Jon

I went with the bolt method also. Here is a pic of the inside of my vest.

attachment.php

And here is a thread with some additional info:
http://forums.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=7241

Gator

Wow Gator that really looks professional. Deffinatly no way that armor is going to shift, move or come off accidentally while Troopin.

Love the customization for the Chest display and the battery pocket.

Awsome job man, I was always like -blah- when someone talked about the bolting method only because the thought of having bolts poking me in the chest did'nt appeal to me, but yours looks well done.

Nice job man (y)

Thanks LionsPride.

I have never had any comfort issues with the bolts. I cut the studs just long enought to pass through the vest, backer plate & washer so the nut would end up flush with the end of the stud. Then with a t-shirt, jumpsuit and JP harness between me and the bolts, I can't feel a thing. ;)

And, they hold real tight. No issues with movement or pull-away of the armor from the vest. Even if I catch the edge of a plate on something or someone.

Gator

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back