Attaching collar to back

I know the conventional way of using the studs to connect them. I can only assume over time that will wear and scratch paint with movement.

Has anyone tried alternative ways? All I can think of is Velcro of some sort.

Any photos of alternative ways would be helpful too.

I haven't seen photos, but the studs can be decorative instead of actual bolts. Velcro would work I think....but the bolt method is the better way to go. Velcro would produce a small gap from its thickness, and I don't know if I could trust Velcro over time to hold.

Do you not like the bolt method? If you're trying to save money on getting metal bolts, use keyboard keys, paint them up, and then epoxy in your own screws/bolts

Since this topic is brought up, I'm having a small issue with my bobamaker collar and back. Even Though I don't have the Jetpack yet, the collar seems to sit up a bit high
Mine is attach with the bolt method. But I think Once I get a jp on, it'll help it a little
4.JPG

Republiccommando: You've got a huge gap between your collar and your chest plates. Adding the jetpack won't get rid of that gap. You may need to rearrange your plate placement to get rid of the gap. More photos might give a better idea of the issue.

Yes I have all metal parts from Dakota. I just don't like the bolt method because I have seen what it does after years of use. I've seen small cracks and paint scratches. Just trying to address that now rather than later.

Republic yes that collar is high

Sent from a galaxy far far away

Since this topic is brought up, I'm having a small issue with my bobamaker collar and back. Even Though I don't have the Jetpack yet, the collar seems to sit up a bit high
Mine is attach with the bolt method. But I think Once I get a jp on, it'll help it a little
View attachment 92923

Jetpack won't help that problem. You are gonna need to manually bring it down with whatever method you used to attach it to the flak.

Yes I have all metal parts from Dakota. I just don't like the bolt method because I have seen what it does after years of use. I've seen small cracks and paint scratches. Just trying to address that now rather than later.

I haven't seen cracks, but yes, there are paint scratches. I really don't mind this as much since the scratches are mostly covered by the bolts. Just make sure whoever is putting them on is being careful and not putting them on too tight.

i had my collar/back plates attached with bolts for 5yrs plus and it never cracked. I did however glue a piece of thin ABS on the under side to make it more durable form the get go, so that may have prevented the cracking. I put a layer of fiberglass in that area on my newer armor to do the same thing.

As far as the scratches, like Deathproof said, they are mostly covered by the studs themselves and i think it just adds to the weathering as its not hgely noticeable, but you can put a thin nylon or rubber washer between the stud and the armor to avoid the scratching.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 92923

Looks like you may have the collar mounted to the vest just a little too high. But like Deathproof said, you def need to raise the location of the chest plates.

Velcro is amazing - I bought a huge roll from ToolStation and attach everything with it.

Yes - chest needs to be 2" higher.

PS I love that there is another BF helmet in the background!

Republic yes that collar is high

Use a thin, small washer under the stud. This will prevent actual contact with the painted surface in an area that is under the stud. If it scratches where the washer is...no big deal since no one can see it.

I use the bolt method but prefer to only attach via the two outer bolt studs. I have the two inner ones prescrewed onto the collar. I have some magnets at the bottom of the collar near the chest which help keep it down and in place (helps prevent choking).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back