Another Noob with questions

Greetings all, I'm planning to start working on a (dare I say it) custom Mandolorian (for the record I am also on the heroes/villians board)

At this point I'm still in the "save $$ and gather info" stage so to start off, what is the best material for the armor? I've heard some good things about fiberglass as well as sintra, basically what are the pros and cons?

It should also be noted that I'm a really big guy (6'6" and around 360 lbs)

thanks and sorry if I'm a bit long winded....

Last edited by a moderator:
...welcome aboard smudge...

...its best to first plot your idea for what you want your Mandalorian to look like and then go from there...ie leather work???...Jet Pack???...sidearms???...how much armor (legs / thighs / foot spats)???...what types of tools and materials do you have access to???...

...these are all things that help...the general cost is pretty much the same...if you do not have the ability to FG then perhaps sintra is better and you can cut-out and heat form your own armor...certain pieces are easy this way however IMHO knees / backplate / cod is tuff one to do...

...as always hit me up if you need any help...

Later
Lewis

Hey man,

Like slavefive said. Just start with a design and go from there. I have my custom in its second stage and its only cost me around $200. I just have ABS armor right now and it works great. Feel free to PM if you have anymore questions. I'm also on HV&M as Xantok (imagine that).

Xantok

thanks for the welcome and the info!

I'm working on the designs as we speak, although this will be a fairly slow project (I'm in nursing school at the moment and that takes a lot of time and consequently $$ is really tight......and that's before the student loans come due)

the_black_smudge said:
thanks for the welcome and the info!

I'm working on the designs as we speak, although this will be a fairly slow project (I'm in nursing school at the moment and that takes a lot of time and consequently $$ is really tight......and that's before the student loans come due)

I know the feeling Smudge...I've got a wife and 2 kids and we are just barely making ends meet...yet I've picked up this strange hobby now of Star Wars costuming.

I've got plans for my own custom Mando...but don't even have the money set aside to buy a Rubies helmet let alone a Bobamaker or Marrow Sun. For now I'm just starting with the basics. I found a bunch of my wife's uncle's Sohio gas station jumpsuits that I am converting to my "flight suit". I figure I'll start there and move on to building my own trash can armor if I can't afford the sintra.

Good luck Smudge. I'm in the same boat. (y)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back