A Few basic ESB helmet questions for the pros....

Yep!

One tangential question I have is if one wanted to have an ESB helmet as it appeared in 1979, would one be better served repairing a ESB-MC helmet or buying a Wasted Fett Fugly helmet? Isn't the latter essentially a "cleaned up" version of the former?
It depends on whether you’d prefer cleaning up an earlier generation cast with all of the original paint details on the surface, or a cast that’s a couple generations further that has already been cleaned up. For my ESB hero I chose to repair and reshape the MCR myself, but when I get around to doing a PP1 helmet I’d like to use a Fugly.

I've debated what I wanna do with my own ESB-MC and had initially thought of having it repaired and painted up as the ESB helmet and then I shifted to the ROTJ SE but now honestly I think I'm leaning toward just leaving it as is, at least for the moment. I just hate to cover the preserved paint detail with new paint!

I've debated what I wanna do with my own ESB-MC and had initially thought of having it repaired and painted up as the ESB helmet and then I shifted to the ROTJ SE but now honestly I think I'm leaning toward just leaving it as is, at least for the moment. I just hate to cover the preserved paint detail with new paint!
Yahhh that’s tough haha. I thought the same thing, but i’m gonna take really good photos, and do a build log of it so I can always have those details, while still having it very accurately painted as well!

It’s an early early cast. I’m keeping it as is in the archives.

same here. I was debating for awhile, if to convert mine. Lucky enough, it all seemed to plan out. I won’t be converting it myself, as I just don’t have the experience for such a task. Lewis from Blaidonprops will be restoring mine, to its former glory. It’s completely subjective to the owner, at the end of the day.This amazing helmet is a artefact, which deserves to be preserved or restored.

I’ll add a question, was the original rangefinder “cover” made of plastic or metal?

Made from PVC sheets, like sintra or similar to that time. You can see one of the casing in the right side of the image:
Supertrooper Work Bench Callout.jpg

Thanks that helps a lot!! Appreciate it :) I’ll do no servo then, as I am trying to get as close as I can to the original. Is there any reference photos available of the “visor clips”? I’m not sure what you’re referencing there...

Lower clips:
Boba-Fett-Costume-AoSW-071002-42.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-MoM-121601A-025.jpg

Upper (and lower) clips:
Boba-Fett-Costume-MoM-121601A-027.jpg

Boba-Fett-Third-Prototype-Helmet-008.jpg

(Disregard the tape)

WOW Thank you!! So are we sure that visor was 2mm not like 4mm? It appears to be a bit thicker...Also it looks like there were 4 main clips holding it in with epoxy putty and by screw tension, was there anything that filled in the gaps around the visor on the inside?

Definitely 2mm on the ESB helmet. If done right, you need only those 4 clips. But in time some of the original helmets were padded with tape around the visor to maybe better secure them (the last image I posted above is one example).

Great! I'll keep asking and updating as I need more help. A couple more things... like I said before, are there any preferred vendors for the visor material? Also what size screws are used with the aluminum clips does anybody know for sure?

Last edited:
Great! I'll keep asking and updating as I need more help. A couple more things... like I said before, are there any preferred vendors for the visor material? Also what size screws are used with the aluminum clips does anybody know for sure?
Sidewinder sends screws with them.

visors Id go with TVisor.com.... they make them basically ready to fit into the helmet... pre shaped

I found a decent price on a Polaroid SX-70 model 2. It appears to have the same lens as the first model. Can anyone confirm this? Here’s a model 2 for reference

Attachments

• E2D2E401-C628-46B7-ADDB-95E37EE6B5C8.jpeg
    E2D2E401-C628-46B7-ADDB-95E37EE6B5C8.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 123
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back