A Few basic ESB helmet questions for the pros....

ApolloInd

New Hunter
So I'm fairly new to the dented helmet scene, as I spend most of my time on the RPF. I'm on a quest to build the most accurate ESB Fett bucket available, including the use of vintage parts, and one of Dakotas beautiful ESB 2nd gen casts. I'm a huge accuracy buff as many others are here as well. I've spent time researching and reading as many threads as possible so far, but figured you guys know a lot more than me, so why not just ask? :) So here are my questions:

1) What Vintage/Real found parts have we Identified on the ESB hero helmet? These are the ones I know of so far:
-Casio MQ-1 Circuit board
-Polaroid SX Viewfinder lens
-Metal Borden dental mandible piece?
Anything else? What about the Visor material, Rangefinder piece etc?

2) Was there a servo on the screen used helmet stalk during the filming of ESB?

3) If so, With Machinecraft's Stalk, can you do LED's and a servo, or is it usually one or the other?

Any help is much appreciated! Hope I can build my dream helmet with everyone's help! That's how we all come together to build and discover awesome stuff! (My favorite part!)

Thanks everyone,

-Ariston

1) that list sounds about right. The visor material is tinted Perspex/plexiglass, 2mm IIRC. The bottom visor clips are aluminum strips with cheesehead screws, but not really “found” parts.

2) no servo on the original.

3) the LED wires run down the stalk and out a hole above the screw that goes into the earpiece, so there’s no reason you couldn’t install a servo alongside the LEDs. I ran that setup in my old helmet, the only tricky part is lining up the servo

1) that list sounds about right. The visor material is tinted Perspex/plexiglass, 2mm IIRC. The bottom visor clips are aluminum strips with cheesehead screws, but not really “found” parts.

2) no servo on the original.

3) the LED wires run down the stalk and out a hole above the screw that goes into the earpiece, so there’s no reason you couldn’t install a servo alongside the LEDs. I ran that setup in my old helmet, the only tricky part is lining up the servo
Thanks that helps a lot!! Appreciate it :) I’ll do no servo then, as I am trying to get as close as I can to the original. Is there any reference photos available of the “visor clips”? I’m not sure what you’re referencing there...

Now that I think about it I forgot to add the chin cup, helmet cradle, and LED electronics to the list of found parts inside the helmet. There’s no better starting point than intwenothor ’s endlessly informative thread:

Good luck on your quest!. I’m doing this too, so all the power to ya. Jango Fett jr has a post, converting his MC helmet, into a ESB hero. I’ll be posting updates, once my helmet gets started on, it’s full restoration :).
Wonderful! Idk if i'll go full harness setup anytime soon, but once I get the cosmetics all accurate, I might as well go for it haha.

Putting a servo into the metal ears.... GOOOOOOOD LUCK with that... there isnt one on the real helmet. Putting one in a helmet with resin ears requires massaging. With metal ears you have alot less room for error.

If youre looking for screen accuracy, the MCR is the ROTJ SE.... It WILL require a bit of modifications to repair the damages sustained by the hero helmet over the years.

I'm gonna stick with the accurate no servo setup on my MC ESB then. Thanks for your insight
Putting a servo into the metal ears.... GOOOOOOOD LUCK with that... there isnt one on the real helmet. Putting one in a helmet with resin ears requires massaging. With metal ears you have alot less room for error.

If youre looking for screen accuracy, the MCR is the ROTJ SE.... It WILL require a bit of modifications to repair the damages sustained by the hero helmet over the years.

Also I intend at some point on having Superjedi do mine, so however he’s done previous ESB MC’s is how i’ll have mine done!

So the ROTJ SE helmet is Technically what once was the ESB hero correct?

Yep!

One tangential question I have is if one wanted to have an ESB helmet as it appeared in 1979, would one be better served repairing a ESB-MC helmet or buying a Wasted Fett Fugly helmet? Isn't the latter essentially a "cleaned up" version of the former?

Yep!

One tangential question I have is if one wanted to have an ESB helmet as it appeared in 1979, would one be better served repairing a ESB-MC helmet or buying a Wasted Fett Fugly helmet? Isn't the latter essentially a "cleaned up" version of the former?
I believe so, and don’t quote me on it, but I believe the wasted fett is also several generations away from the gen 0 Helmet. Like maybe 5th?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back