1st Helmet Build (Cardboard Fett)

Thank you!! I'll level those out as soon as I get a chance =) Also, for the dent are you talking about the slices that are put into the hole? I could peel the cardboard in half to make it close to 1mm, do you think that would work better?

It could work well that way, but if not, you can always find a thin cardboard piece at home (book covers, cereal box and so on).

It could work well that way, but if not, you can always find a thin cardboard piece at home (book covers, cereal box and so on).

Sounds good, thanks Rafalfett!!

A couple updates/notes about what we are working on right now:

- I forgot that I never mentioned the fact that Sara is not actually making a Boba Fett helmet, she is thinking about making it a Rav Bralor helmet. I know that we made it with all the dimensions and the asymmetries of Boba Fett, but we will figure that out and fix those if we have to when we get to sanding/bondo.

- We are both planning on incorporating electronics into our rangefinders, and are going to radioshack today to look around. I have looked through a ton of threads/guides about doing so but I just don't really understand it all that much. And I don't want to buy a kit as I tend to feel more proud when I can do everything myself. I know I need a low profile servo, and some kind of control board, etc. and I think I may buy an Arduino board but again I have no idea what I'm doing really. If anyone could chime in on whether an Arduino board will work for this, it would really help a ton. Also what else I will need to make the rangefinder move other than the board and servo. I would really appreciate it.

- For the dome, I am planning on coating the inside/outside with minwax polycrylic protective finish first to make sure the cardboard is nice and sealed and waterproof. Then I think I will use bondo glass on the inside to reinforce the dome even more before we really start sanding and finishing up the outside. I am also going to use a thin layer of spackling paste or glass on the outside as usual.

We went to Micro Center today and I got a bit excited.. Came home with two arduino boards and lots of extras!!
IMG_20150326_221708.jpg

Well, an Arduino might be a bit overkill if you are only interested in moving the servo and blinking lights. You could probably get away with an Arduino Nano, TinyDuino, or Arduino Pro Mini. I'm just thinking about having enough room in the bucket for your noggin.

The reason I didn't get one of the micro ones is because I am planning on using the one board to run the lights, servo, LCD on the chest piece, and have it all controlled with the wireless remote. I don't know much about these things so I wasn't sure if one of those mini guys would be able to do all that. If they are, than I'm sure I can grab one a couple of those in the future instead, since the boards themselves aren't much money that's no big deal.
Ham you seem to know about these? Will one of those mini boards run all that?

Either way if I have to buy a couple tinyduinos, or nanos and be left with a couple unos.. Ill find something cool to do with them! Haha

Just a quick update:

I have got my arduino programmed, and wired to move the rangefinder up and down, and have the two red LEDs blinking one after the other for .5 seconds. The only thing I have not figured out is how to incorporate my tilt sensor into the circuit, or coding so that the lights blink when the rangefinder is down, and either stay solid or shut off when it is up. Everything is running off of one code, and the rangefinder is controlled through an infared remote so its just getting a little confusing for me lol

I will post some pictures later.

Also I ditched the cheap servo that came with my arduino kit, and got the Hitec HS-77BB which is working very nicely.

Not sure whether or not the micro boards can do that. I've not used one for controlling the LEDs so I'm not sure how many IOs would be required. I believe it would be a matter of counting up the IOs and ensuring the board has at least that many.

So where are you planning on putting the arduino? In the helmet and run some wires down into the chest piece or somewhere below the neck and run the wires up into the helmet?

Not sure whether or not the micro boards can do that. I've not used one for controlling the LEDs so I'm not sure how many IOs would be required. I believe it would be a matter of counting up the IOs and ensuring the board has at least that many.

So where are you planning on putting the arduino? In the helmet and run some wires down into the chest piece or somewhere below the neck and run the wires up into the helmet?

What are IOs? Sorry I've never done electronics like this before I'm a newbie. I know people use these boards to make little robots and bigger things though so I'm sure its possible in someway. I was thinking maybe I can try to skip a tilt sensor altogether actually and make it more simple. Maybe in the code I can tell it something like, if the servo is in the up position: keep the LEDs solid, and when the servo is in the down position make them run my blink commands. Ham do you think that may work?

As for wiring yeah I am going to run them up the rangefinder for the LEDs, but now that you mention the LCD display, I don't want wires running down the neck so maybe I will get another tinyduino or nano to run the LCD separately

- - - Updated - - -

The more I think about it, the more I feel like if I work with this coding, ill be able to skip the tilt sensor.

IOs = I/O's They are the pins on the board that either take input from or send output to devices. You're going to need one IO for the server motor, a couple for the led's in the range finder, and probably a couple for the display in the chest.

Yeah, you won't need a tilt sensor as the controller will "know" if the range finder is up or down and blink (or not blink) accordingly.

I think most people have (at least) two sets of electronics, one for the chest display and one for helmet features.

Update!

Ear pieces are coming along. I have the upper and lower right side finished, and the rangefinder. The only things I have left are the rangefinder stalk, and the left ear. (Rangefinder stalk not done yet because I'm trying to find/think of a different lightweight material to make it out of possibly to give it some added strength.)

Sara has her upper right ear piece finished as well, and is only a few pieces away from having the lower right finished. She also started her left piece already but hasn't done the rangefinder yet.

Everything is looking so nice though, ill try to post some pictures as soon as I can. Things will be busy for me until Tuesday with work.

The whole time we have been building this, we have known that Sara's helmet is going to be a Rav Bralor or some other bounty hunter's helmet, but I hadn't decided if mine was going to be Boba Fett ESB, or ROTJ yet. Well yesterday I finally got to making the (cardboard version) of the rangefinder's acrylic inside block and I decided to go with ESB. I love ROTJ Fett because of the jetpack and more colorful armor to be completely honest, but the ESB helmet looks a lot better I think. I know ill probably regret this later when I get to making the jetpack and other parts but for right now the helmet will be ESB. =D

The whole time we have been building this, we have known that Sara's helmet is going to be a Rav Bralor or some other bounty hunter's helmet, but I hadn't decided if mine was going to be Boba Fett ESB, or ROTJ yet. Well yesterday I finally got to making the (cardboard version) of the rangefinder's acrylic inside block and I decided to go with ESB. I love ROTJ Fett because of the jetpack and more colorful armor to be completely honest, but the ESB helmet looks a lot better I think. I know ill probably regret this later when I get to making the jetpack and other parts but for right now the helmet will be ESB. =D

You are not the only one who loves the ESB helmet and the ROTJ body: this is what we call the ROTJ SE. This suit is specific for the additional scenes added in ROTJ for the Special Edition version. This suit has the ESB Hero helmet, the ROTJ Hero jetpack, the ROTJ style armor with a slightly modified Pre-Pro #2 right gauntlet and left knee pad, the ammo belt has 14 pouches (reused from one of the Promo suits). More info here ==> http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=48123&p=609965&viewfull=1#post609965

Time to finally post pictures of all that's been done so far!!

Lower right ear pieces unfinished
DSC_0393.JPGDSC_0395.JPGDSC_0396.JPGDSC_0398.JPGDSC_0397.JPG

Upper right ear pieces finished but not bondo'd and polished up.. yet!
DSC_0365.JPGDSC_0368.JPGDSC_0369.JPGDSC_0370.JPGDSC_0374.JPG

The dent on my helmet. I know it isnt perfect, but since the whole dome is going to be bondo'd and/or puttied I will just fix it when I get to that step.
DSC_0432.JPGDSC_0434.JPG

The rangefinder stalk I currently have, I may make a new one eventually, but I am not 100% yet. The reason it looks a bit rough on the bottom is because it's hollowed out and filled with fiberglass to give it some much needed strength on the thin part. The whole stalk actually where the wires are running through is filled with fiberglass along with wires to take up any extra space that might have been between the wires. Also I know I probably didn't need four wires, but I figured I would rather have too many than not enough and have to re-do it later =p
DSC_0409.JPGDSC_0420.JPGDSC_0412.JPGDSC_0414.JPG

Our rangefinder tops. Now obviously the blocks inside are just temporary until I figure out how to make the acrylic blocks. (If anyone has any tips or help with that one, let me know please!)
DSC_0407.JPGDSC_0406.JPG

My left ear piece unfinished
DSC_0426.JPG

And Sara's almost finished left ear piece
DSC_0422.JPG

And I threw my right side on with a couple of hot glue dabs just to take a picture (they are off again now)
DSC_0430.JPG

Let me know what you guys think so far! I know a lot of it is rough, but I am hoping that is somewhat normal, and the bondo and putty will really make the difference =D

DSC_0358.JPG

I almost forgot, our lower right pieces are all together now too, so here they are. (Mine is the one with the red bondo filling up a gap)

DSC_0442.JPGDSC_0441.JPGDSC_0440.JPGDSC_0439.JPGDSC_0436.JPG

Wow, thanks rafalfett!! That's a lot of new information for me haha.
Looks like its a good thing I got 4 wires going through my stalk if I am going to be putting in a third white light !

The perspex block being two pieces helps a lot too, didn't know that. Where do you find the material to make it though, and is it something that you need some really special tools to cut through?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back