General Questions on Armor

italianfett420

New Hunter
What are the best methods for attaching armor pieces to a flak vest, and also I want to install a light kit to the chest armor I will be receiving, and it's made of abs plastic, so what are the best ways to cut out the slots to show the lights?

From wot I have read Velcro seems to be the common way to attach the armour , using large pieces allows you to detach and re attach the pieces so it all fits symmetrically ,

a a drill to start holes in the corners a dremel with a cutting disc and small files for the slots

i may be wrong tho

I will be trying magnets first and want to make sure the armor won't pop off. If that doesn't work I will use the magnets to get it all straight and mount it with the 100 Chicago Screws I just bought

The only problem with the magnet method is cost. Getting enough magnets, and with the proper pull strength, is just more costly than some industrial strength velcro ;)

Another good way is using a bolt( I've seen some nice plastic ones, like FP uses) glued to the armor, and have corresponding holes with eyelets in the vest. Bobamaker had a good tutorial somewhere out there. Just have to play around with how to temporarily attach the armor to get good locations for the hardware. Seem to remember that he used bent cardboard to act as the armor to get a template.
Getting the holes to fall where they needs to be accomplished first. Then locate the mock armor where you are satisfied with it. Mark the holes on the cardboard armor, then transfer the marks to the armor for placement of the bolts. Epoxy and allow to cure, then bolt up with acorn nuts.

Something like that....

The Chicago screws/ binding posts should work just like the bolt - got 100 1/8" ones for $11 on eBay. You can glue the open end to the armor and use the screw side thru the grommet. I got 90 N48 1/2 diameter 1/8" thick magnets with 7.5lbs pull from eBay for ~$40. Obviously more than Velcro but some people said you get a Velcroy noise when moving around on the chest armor

Im not sure myself yet. Im not at that point either. Im thinking im gonna stencil it. Drill hole down center then slowly and carefully cut it out. Use small needle files and or sand paper to make it clean.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back