Hot Toys 1/4 scale Fett--repaint

Thanks again!

The conversion is going well so far. Between last night and today I completed the green armor.
The pics are below. I used Testors Model Master Acryl Yellow Zinc Chromate for the yellow damage.

Here's the cod and kidney plate.

IMG_3797_zpsndeoddq1.jpg

IMG_3798_zpsxvyk5hr0.jpg

Now the collar plate. The missing stud is with the cape. It will be glued in once everything is reassembled.

IMG_3799_zpsnrcz2iqy.jpg

Here are the chest and ab plates. I didn't snap a pic of the center diamond. Not too much to show on that.
I even speckled all of the green parts with some thinned down Tamiya flat black. I also went to the trouble
to pick out some slightly heavier specks on the right chest plate to match the reference pics.

IMG_3802_zpsypgxph5b.jpg

On the left chest plate, the insert for the readout is back in place.

IMG_3803_zpsil3fcebg.jpg

The ab plate has some smudging done with colored pencils in white and light gray. A few smudges appear on
the chest plates, too.

IMG_3801_zpswjz28fwx.jpg

I'm going to examine the ammo belt and see if there's any weathering I want to attempt. After that, I'll be able
to begin reassembling the figure. All that will remain paintwise is. . . the helmet! (Yikes!)

Wow, this re-paint is looking great, thought it looked good before...but now...Damn.
Your attention to tiny detail is to be admired
Looking forward to it's conclusion..

Yes, tiny details are always key where Fett is concerned. (y)

Here's a preview of how the figure looks now. It's mostly back together except for the helmet.
You can see it sitting on the shelf in the background just beggin' for some paint!

IMG_3804_zpsaehth8kh.jpg

I lost the natural light, so I'll get some better pics over the next couple of days. The long Christmas weekend
is over now, so it's back to work tomorrow. But I'll manage to squeeze in some Fett time here and there.

wow...wow...freakin wow..man you are insane, but this looks fantastic!

Are you redoing the gloves? they almost look a little to ESB colored :)

Thanks, man. I was considering repainting the gloves, but they're molded in a different kind of material.
They have some flex to them, almost like a heavy vinyl. Not sure if "standard" paints would adhere to
the gloves and still retain enough flex to bend the right hand so it can hold the blaster. I'm going to try
to do some research and see what type(s) of paint might work for something like this.

The conversion continues! I got the first base color down on the helmet. In his ROTJ color list, AFFo$
recommends Krylon Italian Olive. I own one of his ROTJ lids and the color looks excellent, so I picked
up a can and shot a couple of light coats over the dome and the cheeks.

IMG_3811_zpsxrtwsxyz.jpg

After a few more texts with Ryan (Rubio95), he recommended Dremeling down the lip on the sides of the lower
half to make installing the dome a little easier. He's doing his own conversion on the figure so he's done some
test fitting and stuff already. In the next pic, you can see that I took down the lip on the sides of the piece.

One interesting note--I made such light, quick passes with both the primer and the Krylon, the colors inside the
turn signals are still intact! Bonus. (y)

IMG_3812_zps328aajmy.jpg

This is a satin color, so I'll need to give it a shot of dull coat when it's dry so the detailing will adhere more easily.
I'm considering a couple of directions on how I want to proceed with this, so I'll post updates once I get everything
all sorted out. My brain is getting old so it might be a couple of days. ;)

Didn't want to use the humbrols Jayvee lists? IMO the Italian Olive is too dark after weathering and such....curious to see how it turns out with topical silver and such.

Humbrols are nonexistent around here so I'd have to order all of them plus pay shipping.
The weathering is going to be really subtle in 1/4 scale, so I think it will be OK.

I'm going to squeeze in the final update of 2015! :)

I got some more work done on the helmet. I dull coated the Italian Olive, and when it dried I mixed up a custom blend
for the light green stains. I used a couple of craft acrylics. AFFo$ recommended a color called Wedgewood Green, but
I thought it was too light, so I mixed it with a darker color called Avocado. Once I applied the light stains, I re-misted
Italian Olive over the cheeks, just to tone it down a bit and blend it.
I mixed another custom color for the outer cheeks. I used 2/3 C&O Enchantment Blue (Polly Scale) and 1/3 RLM 73 Green (Testors MM Acryl).
I hand brushed it onto the helmet using a 12/0 liner brush. I made sure to add the little areas where the dark color carries over onto the inner cheeks.
Just a few small specks at this scale.

IMG_3815_zpsmoaqlktd.jpg

I brushed on a coat of Polly Scale RI Maroon as a sort of primer for the mandible areas, then masked off the cheeks and
lightly misted with Rustoleum Satin Cabernet, another one of AFFo$'s colors. It looks great!

IMG_3817_zpsv34vbpqu.jpg

This weekend I'll begin the madness of detailing the front half of the helmet. Since the piece is so small, it will be easy
to do one half, then mask it off and work on the rear half. The dome. . . well, I'm working up my courage to begin that. :lol:

Hope everyone has a happy and safe New Year's Eve! I'll see you all in the distant future of 2016!

Happy New Year, everyone.
Starting January off with an update of course. :)

Got the front half of the helmet pretty much done. This represents a lot of squinting and eyes darting back and forth
between the reference pics and this little helmet. An 18/0 round brush was my weapon of choice for the detailing.

IMG_3868_zpshawd2k64.jpg

To do the silver that appears misted over, I first painted on some Floquil Bright Silver and when it dried, I did a light
wash with Polly Scale SP Lark Dk Gray to darken certain areas while still allowing a degree of metallic base.

IMG_3870_zps44slekpp.jpg

I dull coated everything when it was all dry.
I've never been a ROTJ guy, so hope this at least comes close! I'm going to work on the rear half next.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back