Hot Toys 1/4 scale Fett--repaint

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi fellow Fett fans!
I completed an ESB helmet commission a couple of days ago, and with no others waiting in the wings, I actually
have time to do a personal project. . . shocking! :eek:

I recently received my Hot Toys 1/4 scale Fett, and I love it! The figure is amazingly detailed and it looks terrific
on display. Regarding the paint, the actual paint application is great. Lots of depth and weathering, however, it
simply doesn't match the ROTJ patterns. So after some consideration, I decided to do a repaint of the "hard parts."
After a few text messages and a phone call with Rubio95, who is doing a mod on his figure, I got a good idea of
what would be involved in stripping the figure down. Thanks, Ryan! (y)

IMG_3750_zps40cljp5w.jpg

Some of the gear is pretty easy to remove. To take of the gauntlets, I simply removed the figure's hands and they
slid right off. I was able to slide the knee armor down over the boots by turning it backwards and stretching the
elastic so it slid over the boot heels (Rubio95's tip).
The helmet is on a "blank" head and is attached to a ball joint. It pops off by pulling straight upward. After removing
the helmet, I lifted the back armor up and slid it over the neck joint, then undid the velcro on the back of the vest.
The vest then pulls off over the arms, just like the real deal. The belts are easy to remove, and the cod/kidney armor
had to have one of the glue joints broken on one hip to slide the assembly downward over the feet.
Here are all the major parts removed.

IMG_3754_zpsiozru6os.jpg

Since I'm going to be painting, I wanted to see how far I could break the parts down to make things easier. The rocket
on the left gauntlet is glued on. I managed to pop it off fairly easily using a small thin screwdriver.

IMG_3761_zps0cwuh52a.jpg

The dart launchers on the knees actually come off, too. I wrapped them with a paper towel to keep from damaging them
and wriggled them loose with a pair of hemostats.

IMG_3759_zps3qrqnwom.jpg

I used the small screwdriver again to separate the glue joint between the collar armor and the back plate, and
removed the back plate. The jetpack straps were glued in, and they were simple to remove.

IMG_3762_zpselkrkdws.jpg

Once the back plate was separated, I popped off the small shoulder stud that holds the cape in place.

IMG_3763_zpsg0a2nlaa.jpg

The helmet. . . ah, the helmet. It's quite a piece of engineering for an action figure. :)
The dome can be removed from the lower part. There's a rim that it fits on, with a bit of glue. With some
pressure from the inside, the dome pops off. The ears are also glued onto the sides. Some fiddling with
that slim screwdriver got them off fairly easily.

IMG_3760_zpsbfv0taph.jpg

But the visor is actually a separate piece as well! There are four small pins inside the face of the helmet, with
a molded tab that slots over each pin. With a sharp sprue cutter and some finagling with the screwdriver, I got
the visor to come out. This will make painting so much easier!

IMG_3764_zpstot4o13s.jpg

So that's where it sits for now. The next step will involve masking things like the right gauntlet hoses (not removable),
the elastic on the knees, and the Mando symbols on the right chest plate and left shoulder. I imagine I'll use a combo
of painters tape and masking fluid to do those.

More to come!

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Thanks, guys! Having fun so far.

Here are all the "major" parts ready for painting. I'll be repainting some of the smaller parts as well, such as the knee darts
and the gauntlet rocket. But I won't be priming those.

IMG_3765_zps2hwmasou.jpg

To protect the markings on the chest and shoulder, I cut tiny strips of masking tape to protect them. I have a circle
cutting template, and a 3/8-inch circle covered the chest emblem nicely. I'll just retouch the parts that extend outside
the circle later. On the shoulder, it's hard to see here, but the "horns" of the Mythosaur skull that extend beyond the
white rectangle are protected with some masking fluid.
Oh, I also discovered that the two small black "windows" for the chest readout are also a separate piece! It's glued on
the inside of the left chest plate, so off it came. Again, making painting easier.

IMG_3767_zpszjsrc8fg.jpg

IMG_3766_zpscrcjkacw.jpg

The cod/kidney combo and the knees have masking tape applied to cover the elastic. I taped off the 3 hoses on the right gaunt, too.

IMG_3768_zpswbeb0oco.jpg

I got some long paper baking sticks and some "craft tack" to make painting sticks for easier handling of the small parts.

IMG_3770_zpsc65jqids.jpg

Primed! I used Tamiya fine surface primer in gray. This stuff sprays like silk! It's by far the best, smoothest primer
I've ever used. It's available in gray or white. A little pricier than Rusto or Krylon primer, but it's outstanding.

IMG_3772_zpsrg7phthl.jpg

So that's it, all finished! I'll reassemble the figure later. No. . . wait, I think I missed a few steps. :lol:

When the primer is fully cured I'll start laying down the base colors.

Merry Christmas, TDH! :)
Hope your holiday is bounty-ful!

What could be better on a holiday than doing some tiny detail painting! I completed the first piece on the
Hot Toys repaint--the right gauntlet. I began by airbrushing a base coat of Polly Scale Wisconsin Central
Maroon. When that was dry I did some "spot washing" with some very thinned down Tamiya flat black.
The detailing was done using a terrific acrylic silver I was fortunate to find in some old stock at a local
hobby shop: Polly Scale Piston Silver. It mimics the characteristics of the enamel Bright Silver very well.

For comparison purposes, here's a stock shot that I found on the web.

Right%20gaunt%20before_zpsfvtk8wob.jpg

Here's the repainted gauntlet. I used some MoM photos for reference.

IMG_3781_zpsctqug4d6.jpg

A lower angle.

IMG_3777_zpswyt3jspd.jpg

A couple of shots of the opposite side.

IMG_3779_zpsuniljher.jpg

IMG_3778_zpssans8oxn.jpg

This was a lot of fun! :) I'll be working on the left gaunt next. Hope everyone has an excellent Christmas weekend!
I'll be going back to my second showing of TFA tomorrow. Gonna see it in IMAX 3D this time. (y)

Merry Christmas, TDH! :)
Hope your holiday is bounty-ful!

What could be better on a holiday than doing some tiny detail painting! I completed the first piece on the
Hot Toys repaint--the right gauntlet. I began by airbrushing a base coat of Polly Scale Wisconsin Central
Maroon. When that was dry I did some "spot washing" with some very thinned down Tamiya flat black.
The detailing was done using a terrific acrylic silver I was fortunate to find in some old stock at a local
hobby shop: Polly Scale Piston Silver. It mimics the characteristics of the enamel Bright Silver very well.

For comparison purposes, here's a stock shot that I found on the web.

Right%20gaunt%20before_zpsfvtk8wob.jpg

Here's the repainted gauntlet. I used some MoM photos for reference.

IMG_3781_zpsctqug4d6.jpg

A lower angle.

IMG_3777_zpswyt3jspd.jpg

A couple of shots of the opposite side.

IMG_3779_zpsuniljher.jpg

IMG_3778_zpssans8oxn.jpg

This was a lot of fun! :) I'll be working on the left gaunt next. Hope everyone has an excellent Christmas weekend!
I'll be going back to my second showing of TFA tomorrow. Gonna see it in IMAX 3D this time. (y)
I wanna see it in imax too I've seen it twice but I heard imax is the way to go. I guess I'll have to find out! Lol[emoji23]

Sent from my LG-D850

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely love it mate! Not only does it look waaaay better colour-wise and obviously damage accurate now, it makes me laugh as you are exactly like me and having to have things just right: that is a heck of a figure, but if I had it sitting there KNOWING the damage and accuracy was off, I simply couldn't handle it and would just have to repaint it. Just classic! :) I like to call it 'attention to detail', but by wife would likely counter with 'it's called OCD buddy' :D.

In any case, can't wait to see more. Hope you and the family had a great Xmas mate, and enjoy Round 2 of TFA (y)

Thanks, guys. :) Went to the 3D version of TFA a little while ago. Woo hoo! What a ride.
If you've seen it already in 2D, it's well worth another trip to the theater for a 3D showing.
The flight sequences are astonishing!

Here's the latest Hot Toys progress. I finished up the left gauntlet. A few views are below.

IMG_3783_zpsddrtpna2.jpg

As you can see, the rocket has been reinstalled--but not before some of its own alterations. The nose piece came from
Hot Toys done in a brassy gold color. I repainted it with some copper and gave it a wash with flat black. I also washed
the narrower part of the silver section at the rear. Some small silver chips on the black portions finished it off. It's just
pressed into place. No glue required.

IMG_3786_zpsvnsdnlpm.jpg

I used a brighter red to paint the "lamp" at the rear of this side of the gauntlet. I also painted the red and blue keys
on the MQ-1 pad at the front. It may not show up here, as they are TINY!

IMG_3785_zpsc3cm2s35.jpg

I moved on to the shoulder bells and knee armor next. These were given a base coat with UP Armour Yellow, then the
contrasting shades were added using pastel powders in a couple of different shades. Here's the right shoulder.

IMG_3791_zps4zwgcaru.jpg

The small smudges on the shoulders and knees were added with very sharp umber and dark red colored pencils.
Here's the left shoulder. It may look like it's only half complete. That's because in all of my dozens of reference
photos, I can't find a single one that shows the right side of this piece! It's always covered by the cape. If anyone
has any decent shots of this shoulder bell, I'd really appreciate seeing them!
The darker smudges on the logo were left over from the factory paint app. Trying to figure out the best way to
"erase" them without having to totally repaint the white portions. . .

IMG_3790_zpsvsd5ovjq.jpg

The knees are below. As with the shoulders, all the pale yellow and silver damage was done by hand using an 18/0 brush.
Working at 1/4 scale is making me realize that I probably need a new pair of glasses. :lol:

IMG_3794_zpsysvofejc.jpg

IMG_3796_zpsif8af2zi.jpg

Note that I also painted the red and black rings on the knee dart launchers.

IMG_3793_zpsleausohz.jpg

IMG_3792_zpsh1lws880.jpg

Next up is the green armor. I've already laid down a base coat of a slightly lighter green. I'll be airbrushing the US Medium Green
in a similar fashion to the way I do the rear panels on my ESB helmets. First a medium coat, then darkening certain areas as per
the reference pics. More to come!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back