Hot Toys 1/4 scale Fett--repaint

Thanks, guys! It's coming along. . .

The back panels are pretty much complete. *Whew!* I actually made some basic templates for these using
Rafalfett's ROTJ stencil set, LOL. I had to greatly reduce them in size and just do outlines for the most basic
shapes. I referred to the reference pics to get the finer detail.

For the green I mixed up a custom shade using Polly Scale Southern Sylvan Green as a base, then darkened
it with some PRR Brunswick Green. I have some CNW Green, which a lot of people think is the color used,
but I felt at this scale it was just too dark.

The gray damage was all done with Floquil Primer, applied with my 18/0 round brush. I "stained" the darker
areas using a wash of Polly Scale Tarnished Black.

IMG_3873_zpsq07dvftt.jpg

In these pics the red band has only had the RI Maroon "primer" applied. I still need to mask and mist with the Rustoleum Cabernet.

I also went back and lightly misted some Tarnished Black over certain areas. It's really tricky to limit the misting in this scale!

IMG_3876_zpsed68u7ie.jpg

The keyslot area was based in Polly Scale BAR Gray, with scratches added in Floquil Primer. I dotted the two dental
files with some medium red, but it doesn't really come through in the pics. I'll add a little more.
When this is dry, I'll mist the final red color on the band and ear platforms. Then I'll work on that portion of the detailing.
The dome is still to come! (Gulp!)

Dang dude!! This is pure awesomeness! Haha can't wait for the dome! Oh quick question, what type of tape do recommend for masking? I've used frogtape but that stuff seems hit or miss. After seeing this thread I'm starting to muster up courage to repaint my bucket haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Thanks! I almost always use blue painters tape for masking. I've had really good results with it. I'll occasionally use the yellow Tamiya tape, but that's only for doing the killstripes on my ESB helmets because the 6 mm width is perfect for spacing the stripes.

OK, here's the first portion of the dome. I figured I'd start with the killstripe side, because if anything got too messed up,
I could start over and it would be less to redo. And, Dom. . . these were NOT fun! :lol: Some very meticulous masking
was involved. I think I tried it 3 times altogether to get the strips of tape thin enough to make the stripes fit where they're
supposed to go. In these shots, the dome is only placed onto the lower half of the helmet so I can use the landmarks
on the completed sections. I'll glue it at the end of the project.

IMG_3881_zpsnh3rlpdu.jpg

I'll work my way around the dome, doing the areas close to the red band first, then work upward to the crown. That way
I'll have even more landmarks to use.

IMG_3879_zpsiryldaxi.jpg

The weekend's almost over, so I'll get a little more done this afternoon, then I'll find time where I can during the week.

Thanks, ZE!
As near as I can tell, the helmet is done. :) Man oh man. . .
This was very challenging for 2 reasons: first, working in 1/4 scale; second, this my first ROTJ helmet paintjob of any type!
So it was uncharted territory for me. Hopefully I've captured at least the essence of this style. It surely tested my eyesight
and the steadiness of my hands, LOL.

Here are some pics. The obligatory "staring you down" angle.

IMG_3891_zpsrkjr6evv.jpg

We'll just move around the helmet now, starting with the killstripe side. I added some fine silver scratches on the ear parts, too.

IMG_3892_zpshx0mklpl.jpg

Everything was misted with a couple of light coats of Testors dull coat after the paint work was completed.

IMG_3893_zpslbsofkuk.jpg

If the helmet was a single piece instead of being broken down into the dome and lower parts, this would have
been much more difficult. Well done, Hot Toys!

IMG_3894_zpseuomui9p.jpg

Some additional fading was added using colored pencils (very lightly).

IMG_3895_zpsdvfx1ppv.jpg

Here's a slightly higher angle of that giant scrape on the right side of the dome.

IMG_3896_zpsoccnrthc.jpg

I'll do the final assembly on the figure tomorrow and get some pics of the whole thing when I have time to get
pics using some bright indirect daylight. All of these pics are taken with direct incandescent light from overhead,
so there's some glare and color shifting.

Now I'll attempt to list all of the colors used on the whole repaint:

Shoulders/Knees:

base coat--Polly Scale UP Armor Yellow
Shading--blend of orange and umber pastel powders
Light yellow--Polly Scale ATSF Catwhisker Yellow
Silver--Polly Scale Piston Silver
Misc. weathering--brown and dark red colored pencils

Green Armor:
Base coat--Testors Model Master Panzer Olive Green
Main color--Polly Scale US Medium Green, misted in varying layers over the POG
Yellow--Testors Model Master Yellow Zinc Chromate
Spattering--Tamiya Flat Black
Misc. weathering--white colored pencil

Gauntlets:
Base coat--Polly Scale Wisconsin Central Maroon
Weathering--wash of Tamiya Flat Black
Rocket nose cone--"craft paint" Antique Copper with a wash of flat black
Keypad buttons--Testors Model Master British Crimson and Polly Scale C & O Enchantment Blue

Helmet:
Base coat on dome and lower cheeks--Krylon Satin Italian Olive
Lighter "stains" on cheeks--Mix of "craft paint" Light Avocado and Wedgewood Green (misted over with Italian Olive)
Upper cheeks--custom mix of Polly Scale C & O Enchantment Blue and Testors Model Master RLM 73 (2:1 ratio)
Back panels--custom mix of Polly Scale Southern Sylvan Green and PRR Brunswick Green
Back panel gray--Floquil Primer (with a wash of Polly Scale SP Lark Dark Gray and Tarnished Black)
Misting on back panels--Polly Scale Tarnished Black
Keyslots--Polly Scale BAR gray with scratches in Floquil Primer
Killstripes--Polly Scale SP Scarlet
Mandibles and red band--Rustoleum Satin Cabernet
Silver on mandibles--Floquil Bright Silver
Gray on mandibles--Polly Scale SP Lark Dark Gray
Misc. weathering--white and gray colored pencils

Add Testors dull coat, mix and season to taste. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. . . wait, that's not right. :lol:

Whew! Think that's everything for now. Completed pics to come. (y)

Absolutely outstanding E! Not only did you nail ROTJ, at this scale it's even all the more impressive! Can't wait to see the final pics! ☺

"Hopefully captured the essence" he says, lol.
Good practice for the full size lid it looks like to me.
I ordered the 1/6th scale Boba, but doubt I'd have the where-with-all to do this(or the skill). Beautiful work man!
Only thing that looked odd to me was the knees seemed a little too bright. May be just the pic though, or my eyes...

Yes Really show off your re-worked master piece :lol:
The helmet looks great, now it's really looking the part.
Thanks for sharing the paint list, this will make it easier for those of us that wish to follow in your foot steps:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again. :) Rubio, I agree with the "Meh. . ." part of your reply. :lol:

Boba is reassembled and resting comfortably after his ordeal. He was kind enough to pose for some pics for all the
crazy Fett heads out there. First, a couple of overall shots.

IMG_3942_zpsafs3qdzz.jpg

IMG_3962_zpsesjff5rq.jpg

Some closer views showing some of the new details. Let's begin with. . . the helmet! Big surprise, right?

IMG_3952_zpsamqwy5cf.jpg

IMG_3964_zpsdvdqvzkt.jpg

Here are some shots of the chest and abdomen armor. I tried to get lighting that would show the misting passes
which built the color up slowly over a lighter base. Some of the faded looking spots were done with colored pencils,
and the spatter was applied by flicking an old toothbrush with thinned flat black. However, I did actually go back with
a very fine brush (18/0) and dot in some of the more prominent spatter--especially on the lower half of the right chest piece.

IMG_3950_zpsihxrwwze.jpg

IMG_3954_zpsybwblpor.jpg

IMG_3959_zpstgxd6bjz.jpg

I just realized I didn't really get a close up of the right gauntlet. But here's the left one.

IMG_3948_zpsvpuiueyu.jpg

IMG_3960_zpsnl5xg8y0.jpg

On to the yellow armor parts. Here's a closer look at the shoulders.

IMG_3958_zpsltcxgfdr.jpg

IMG_3965_zpscrorywtz.jpg

Finally, the knee armor.

IMG_3946_zpsof9qkssy.jpg

IMG_3981_zpspa66wac7.jpg

IMG_3961_zps4bfka28a.jpg

So that's it, kids! :) I think Hot Toys really created an amazing 1/4 scale figure. I just wanted it to look more like I picture
the ROTJ version. This was extremely challenging and a ton of fun to do. Thanks for following the progress, and even as
a "stock" figure, I highly recommend this piece.

I'm going to post a complete photo gallery including several more shots on my Facebook page, CounterFett Creations:
https://www.facebook.com/CounterFett-Creations-1454779188105078/?ref=hl

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back