Yes, A FettPride Thread

Greetings all. Now before you go grousing at me for starting yet another thread here concerning FettPride, hear me out.
I first want to present you some cold, hard, objective facts and observations.

I do not know Chris personally. I have never met the man face to face. My only interactions with him have been via e-mail as a customer. I stand to neither gain nor lose anything by posting this. I am doing so simply because I feel it should be done.

I have been a member here since June 5th, 2015. I came here expressly to begin researching how to put together a Boba Fett kit. I wanted to start with the cornerstone, the helmet. I ask around and was fairly unanimously informed that the best maker of a screen accurate RotJ Boba Fett helmet was FettPride. I was warned that his communication might be spotty and prices were not cheap but that it was more than worth it in the long run.

So I got in touch with Chris and around the 15th of June 2015, placed an order and paid him.

Now my first impression was that I was very impressed with his communication and willingness to answer my questions.

My impression of his workmanship was formed by rubio95’s excellent review here (http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/review-fettpride-fph2-rotj-52272/).
I was told that I could expect the helmet around the very end of October or the beginning of November in 2015.

I used to participate in full speed, full contact, heavy fighting in the SCA and was used to waiting a year or more for a full spring steel helmet to be manufactured by hand. 5-6 months was amazing!

In that time frame I did not receive the helmet. I contacted Chris. It did take a couple of tries but he did indeed get back to me. I was informed about the events in his personal life he was working through and told that while the helmet was not ready, that I could expect it as soon as life allowed. This was completely reasonable.

It was also around this time that I began seeing some very disparaging threads here by folks that had also ordered something from Chris and had not yet received their purchases. I will not lie, it made me nervous. I had been defrauded out of money through internet purchases from folks a time or two before and was not willing to let it happen yet again. However I also believe in giving the benefit of the doubt and that basically humans are good, well intentioned beings. So I chose to wait and simply keep up communication without necessarily ‘nagging’ Chris.

In the long run. I received my helmet yesterday, August 4th, 2016.

It has, in fact, been over a year since the initial order, ten months past the original delivery time quoted initially.

In all of that time however, Chris was able to keep up communication, provide updates and answer questions.

He also did this while going through some of the most difficult events in his life. Circumstances that would be difficult at best, and insurmountable for most.

Further, the quality of the product I received is exceptional. As I was told, it is worth every cent and the wait.

These are the facts.

Now, my personal, subjective opinions and thoughts.

Due to the pressure put upon Chris over the last couple of years by costumers, he has since closed up his shop. This is an extremely huge lose to this community. Huge.

Now I know there are others producing a quality product out there. That’s great. However I also believe you truly get what you pay for, in the value of time, patience, understanding, and basic human decency in addition to money. A little understanding goes an extremely long way. And this community has not only lost an exceptional artisan but a wealth of knowledge!

I not only received a product that is better than what I paid for, I also was given the opportunity to meet and get to know a truly respectable, hardworking, and all around quality guy.

Which is priceless.

I already know many will not agree or accept this. That’s fine. This is just a review by one customer.

However I would say that given my experience and some of the vitriol I saw thrown around that it would behoove all of use to remember that this is a hobby. A hobby of choice.
An ounce of kindness is worth a pound of service.

Just my two credits worth.

Ethan/MacFett
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

I don't see the [Polaroid lens] in the photos. Did you receive one?

Edit: Disregard. I incorrectly assumed this was an ESB. It's a bad habit. =/=

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the perspex in the photos. Did you receive one?

Do you know what "perspex" is? Cause there is what most would call a perspex in the pictures....3 pictures actually. If you meant Polaroid lens then there shouldnt be one. Its an ROTJ helmet....

And to MacFett....if only everyone was as understanding as you we would have more people like Chris around...who actually have had tough times and do this prop thing as their sole source of income. Its a tough thing to do really...without a secondary source of income. Cant wait to get one of thos ROTJ helmets on my bench.

Good post Ethan. Honestly, even with the spats iv'e had with Chris, i agree with you.

I have had my issues with Chris when it came to business, some were pretty big and it put us on edge with each other, but that doesnt mean the guy is awful. For the most part i found Chris good to talk to and he usually answered my e-mails and texts fairly quickly before we had our little disagreements. After that it was a little more spratic, but we worked it out eventually. I think he's a good guy that means well with everything he does. Im not going to get into the whole deal again as its been beaten like a dead horse to many times. But i will say this, we all get backed up, and when producing the quality product he did, it made the demand high,so it was inevitable he would always be backed up. You need alot of patience in this hobby, and alot of folks dont get that when they jump in and they take it out on whoever they ordered from. Ive heard many makers, including Chris, say they arent Walmart, and its really true statement.

I agree we lost a true artisan reguardless of where some think or dont think his base model for some products may have been. Chris' products were always very clean and sharp and well made. To most, thats all that matters. His product quality is what my goal is. I want my stuff to be as clean and sharp as his. Im not there yet, but hopefully soon! To this day i still think his armor has the best shape.

That said, i have also seen Animefans work, and that too is very nicely done. So in knowing that he will be continuing on with what Chris started, i think the community will be ok when it comes to quality and accuracy and having a good supplier for Fett parts. Plus i think Chris may have saved himself from a heart attack because this stuff can get VERY stressfull! I wish Chris the best in whatever he does next, and i also wish Animefan the best in continuing on with FP's legacy.

I cleared out my inbox/outbox the other day and looked at all the old messages to/from Chris. I was in the original GMH run back in 2012 and it took me a little over a year to get my helmet. As I deleted the messages, I looked up at my shelf that holds my GMH and was so thankful for a true artisan like Chris. It sucks how things have turn out over the past 4 years, but business is business I guess.

I'm glad you got your bucket Ethan, cherish it!

Sent from my iPhone

I appreciate the artistic ability of his products but just don't understand the technical end of how it takes years to cast one helmet. I know making the mold can take whatever time it takes, but I just don't get how it takes 2 years to cast a Helmet. Did he have thousands of orders? Regardless of life issues if I had someone's money for years I would feel horrible and would never rely on " well my product is awesome you should just be happy I am here allowing you to buy one". Life throws issues at everyone. If you have someone's hard earned money I don't understand why people here continue to think and defend the legitimacy of not given people their product in a timely fashion.

It is cool you got yours though. I think eventually it goes from being a patient person to one who is just being abused by the arrogance of a vendor.

I can only say good things about dealing with Chris. The quality of the work he does is worth the wait. Can't rush that. Folks need to just be patient. Cheers

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back