What do you hate people saying about your costumes at Cons?

Balancesheet

Active Hunter
I'm curious what are some people's pet peeves about peoples' comments at Cons or events about your particular costume that you hold dearly?

I love the admiration and compliments from fans of the characters and the franchise. Boba brings lots of love and admiration from the kids, the middle age fanboys, and the ladies! :p

Despite the fact that I feel like this topic is baiting us into negative responses, I really hate bro's or meatheads slapping my armour, thinking its like football padding. I have only ever had to stand my ground on it once though (he was pretty drunk and there were 4 of us...). The only other time it's happened (photo booth at a con) the dude seemed pretty good natured about it and seemed genuinely impressed by the craftsmanship. No problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully not baiting.

For example for me:

[In a Jango costume]:
"Hey, look it's Boba Fett!"
Running off with my Master Replicas like they are trying to be cute
Flicking my armor as if they think it is made out of metal

[In Vader ESB]
Yelling at me from a distance: "Luke, I am your father!" (it's 'No, I am your father')
Stepping on my cape in a crowded room
Kids trying to hit me with a lightsaber

:)

I got called a stormtrooper today in my Fett....:lol:

I mean...at least she said a Star Wars character...and was excited about it. I don't really think much of it. We have to remind ourselves that the majority of people that we will come into contact with while costumed do not share the same passion that we do. It's important to have that understanding and just have fun with them. I was in line at Celebration behind someone who had never seen Star Wars....and this person was at the biggest Star Wars convention in the world...you can't badger them for it, but encourage them to understand why we like what we do so much.

Nothing beats what I heard two ladies call some imperial gunners at a 501st troop. A group of troopers were standing and waving at people as they passed and they looked at the gunners and said who are they, the Ebola people? I had to turn my head so I wasn't laughing in front of her. We all were like, did she really say that and wtf are Ebola people. It was hilarious.

the absolute best thing i've ever heard in costume, was also the most adorable thing ever. it was real early after first building boba, probably my third or fourth troop, i'm standing there, taking pictures with people, when this guy and his daughter, probably 4 years old are walking by. the dad points over at me and says to the little girl, "hey look, it's jango fett!" she looks over at me and stops dead in her tracks. she yanks her hand out of his, balls up her little fists and put them on her hips, looks up at him, squares her jaw, and says, "DAD! that's BOBA Fett!"

i lost it! i was laughing so hard, i ran out of the photo area and over to the little girl. i gave her a high five and tell her how awesome she is. she's all smiles now, and she throws her arms around my legs to give me a short person hug, but i got my first forehead-to-the-codpiece. those aren't pleasant, even when you're on your guard and you see it coming at you. but that very first one, when you didn't even know that was a thing that could happen, will hopefully not drop you to your knees, but it will surprise you.

I was at a big costume party years ago in my Rebel pilot gear, including the helmet. Some drunk guy stumbled past me and said, "Hey, Superman!"
I was cracking up.

As a Stormtrooper, and a short one, you know the line I get. Sometimes they are playing along in good spirit. Sometimes they are heckling jerks :(

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and one guy wanted me to say "Luke I'm your father" in my Stormtrooper gear, lol

Wow. I never thought about those type of things to expect when I complete my build and troop for the first time. Very interesting, annoying and hiliarious.

I love these replies! This is one of the reasons i live this community; you're all great people. There's not a single nasty or overly negative comment!

And with that, my personal pet peeve is the armor smacking/flicking. Happens a lot more at school than cons, though.

I'm always happy to answer any questions or politely correct misconceptions people have, though.
One of my teachers yesterday mistook me for Jango.

I love these replies! This is one of the reasons i live this community; you're all great people. There's not a single nasty or overly negative comment!

And with that, my personal pet peeve is the armor smacking/flicking. Happens a lot more at school than cons, though.

I'm always happy to answer any questions or politely correct misconceptions people have, though.
One of my teachers yesterday mistook me for Jango.

Yess!!!! When anyone touches my armor, unless they are wrapping their arm around for a picture I DO NOT like it. Because you can't see and sound seems to be amplified with a bucket on, I'm so paranoid they are breaking it ahhhh!!

do any of you guys ever creep on people when you're in costume? the people that are intentionally attempting to ignore the plastic space man, like they're too cool for star wars. i like to walk up behind them and wait there until they finally turn around. it surprises the crap out of them, then i blame it on them, saying stuff like, "how did you not see me there, it's not like i'm inconspicuous!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been called 'Rocket Man' before [sigh].
But my biggest pet peeve is when someone looks at your costume and says: "I can make that myself"
And I'm thinking "Well, go right ahead. Knock yourself out."

I had a hearty lol. Some people just don't get it.

People sometimes ask me, "How did you make your costume?" My reply is usually, "I have a lot of very talented contacts that keep me equipped for occasions such as this [insert name of Con]".

In my TIE i've been called Vader a lot one parade this guy and his girlfriend watched me pass by guy says look it's Vader the gf slaps her bf on the back of the head and says that's not vader that's Vader who was not 10 feet behind me our Boba Fett told me when he heard and and saw it made me lol been called vader in my Magma Trooper ,the flash i get beat on in my magma a lot kids and adults love me but i cringe every time because it's painted i can only imagine when i finally finish my Jango

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back