*Very* Quick Jetpack Question - Tube Diameter

Bob A Feet

Jr Hunter
Hey everyone,

I've been gathering materials and managed to get some cardboard tubes for my (eventual) jetpack build.

Looking at the designs on Thingiverse by stormtrooperguy, it seems like the side tubes are 3" diameter and the middle one is 4", correct?

I picked up 12 tubes total: 4x3", 4x4", and 4x6", each in ~36" length.

Do I need the 6" tubes for anything Boba-wise? All the tubes were free, so it was really a matter of what was easy to grab, and the tubes were nested inside eachother.

If there's no reason for me to hang onto the 6" tubes I'll probably recycle them, but I wanted to confirm first.

Thanks!

My parts were modeled to fit the 7cs fiberglass jet pack body. The sizing wasn’t based on any existing tube or screen dimension.
For sure.

I pulled up your cap models in Cura to get a rough idea on the diameters. Then, some Googling showed people would build jetpacks using cardboard shipping tubes. Seems like the most common sizes are 2", 3", and 4", so I just ran with it.

As far as I know, there's no reason to keep any 6" diameter tubes on hand for a jetpack build, and I can't think of any Boba-related use for them.

In case anyone comes across this thread in the future, it seems like using 3" diameter shipping tubes (3.22" OD in my case) is just too large for the side tubes. The 4" tubes I picked up (4.27" OD) might be OK for the body or even the main tube, depending on what scale you decide to go with (15" - 17").

According to wizardofflight, the top center tube has an OD of 3.5" (3" SCH40 PVC), the main body is 4 5/16" (~4" PVC), and the side tubes are 2 9/16" (2" PVC).

I also looked at the 3D model by RafalFett and took some measurements. Center tube (not the body) is about 3.9" and the sides are 2.9". This is for a ~16.5" jetpack.

Most packs are a bit undersized due to not having any real sources for the measurements at the time they were made. Everyone kind of winged it or based theirs off the size of what was already out there. We have a lot more resourses now than we did when most of those packs were made. For production sized packs, i would go with Raf's measurements. IMO he is the closest. My pack was made using the WOF templates but upscaled. Once i had the body done, i chopped it in half left to right and took some out..i think about an inch, i forget it was a while ago. i then put it back together. I was later able to obtain 2 measurements of a production pack from a reputable source, and my pack was off by less than a half inch on both measurements. So i think my pack is very very close to the production size. take from that what you will, just wanted to throw it out there.

Most packs are a bit undersized due to not having any real sources for the measurements at the time they were made. Everyone kind of winged it or based theirs off the size of what was already out there. We have a lot more resourses now than we did when most of those packs were made. For production sized packs, i would go with Raf's measurements. IMO he is the closest. My pack was made using the WOF templates but upscaled. Once i had the body done, i chopped it in half left to right and took some out..i think about an inch, i forget it was a while ago. i then put it back together. I was later able to obtain 2 measurements of a production pack from a reputable source, and my pack was off by less than a half inch on both measurements. So i think my pack is very very close to the production size. take from that what you will, just wanted to throw it out there.
good to know! i'm glad i have the ESB version of your jp! now i need the ROTJ version lol

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back