Superjedi's MF-ESB for RPF member Al May

LOL. Duder777, my brushes are just strings of nuclei from hydrogen atoms. They're pretty expensive. ;)

DAY 24:

I began the damage on the red areas where I usually do--the keyslot inset. Back to gray and silver again, but now
I'm adding the maroon/purple shade too. After the keyslots were done I did the central part of the rear band.
I usually break this up into 3 sections: center, left, and right. The color breaks are well defined on the ESB so there
are good "stopping points" between the sections. Here are a couple of angles.

IMG_3665_zpsjnwklnhu.jpg

IMG_3667_zpsmxicqdhs.jpg

I was able to make some really good progress over the holiday weekend, but I think this is where I'll stop
for today. Have some errands and real life stuff to do (how boring) but I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Thanks!

DAY 26:

During the week things slow down a little on the hobby front, but I finished the left section of the band.
This is the area that will receive the white thumbprints at the end of the project, so some of the silver
will wind up with a sort of whitewashed appearance.

IMG_3674_zpssjvkkkgj.jpg

I'll work on the right side next, then I'll move around to the front of the helmet.

DAY 29:

This update covers a few days' worth of work. First, I finished the right rear section of the red band.
Not a lot of silver in this area, but lots of nice detail all the same.

IMG_3676_zpsnqij320a.jpg

Next, I moved onto the front half and did the area around the left corner of the visor opening.

IMG_3682_zpsyjwsr0az.jpg

From here, I'll continue along the brow above the visor opening toward the right side.

Thanks, sir! I hope he is.

DAY 30:

One month in and back on the weekend schedule now.
smile.png

I got the brow finished a little while ago. Here are 3 views.

IMG_3683_zpsx4w2s7ud.jpg

IMG_3688_zpsy3qm5cte.jpg

IMG_3689_zpsitdz9zlo.jpg

Now it's mandible time!

DAY 31:

We'll close out the weekend with the left mandible. Not as much happening in this area as on the right mandible,
but there's a good amount of detail.

IMG_3697_zpso4fpfche.jpg

The crazy right mandible is next. Since it's Monday tomorrow, it may be a few days till that area is completed.

DAY 34:

Been sneaking in painting sessions when I can. I got the upper/horizontal part of the mandible done.
Whew! This is an eye-crosser for sure. So many tiny chips and scratches, in multiple passes with
the detail colors. You might be able to barely see the stencil lines for the lower/vertical portion in
the picture.

IMG_3701_zpshewyer9d.jpg

I'll work on the remainder of the mandible as I have time over the next few days. It's getting close now!

I love your work Eric, and i think you may be convincing me that topical may be a better way to paint these helmets. I add fine details afterwards with a brush anyway but i find its very difficult to get the silver to match what was airbrushed or rattlecanned on. You can always tell there was some brush work done on the silver if you really look. Your silver work always looks great to me (and all the rest as well of course) I think i may try a paintup topical like this once i finsh the commissions i started and see how it comes out.

Again man, great work!

Thanks, guys!
Lou, yes. . . join the topical side! It's so nice over here. ;)

DAY 37:

Been rolling along with the helmet the past few days. There are several steps that I'll show in this update.
First, I completed the lower part of the right mandible. Not quite as much to do as the top half.

IMG_3705_zps1lprymgr.jpg

That pretty much completed the "basic" painting, so I began on some of the effects. I did the pale contrasting
gray that's scattered over several areas. They include the dent (it's tricky to photograph).

IMG_3708_zpsoui1polw.jpg

There's also some of the gray that extends down the color separation between the right mandible and the cheek. There's some above the
visor cutout, and even a few specks in the cat scratch.

IMG_3710_zpsmbijjain.jpg

And of course on the right rear panel and a few smaller areas on the rear of the helmet.

IMG_3711_zpsspxcvcvo.jpg

I added the dark vertical stain above the RF ear. This is mostly dry-brushed on, with a couple of heavier spots.

IMG_3712_zpsk0kkmmh9.jpg

Next I did the fade below the killstripes. This is evidence of a repair on the original helmet, but it's a feature
that's visible in ESB screen caps. I blended some of the dome weathering shade with an acrylic silver to do this.
The white thumbprints are also visible in this shot. I'll have better pics of everything once the helmet is done.

IMG_3714_zps9cndoskt.jpg

The ear parts have been base coated for weeks now. I began the detailing on the left ear by masking and
airbrushing the white U-shape. Here it is temporarily installed for a portrait.
smile.png

IMG_3716_zpslj0prpyw.jpg

I'll end this update with the resin MQ-1 circuit board. I attached the cast to a flat styrene platform which will
be epoxied into the helmet at the end of the project.

IMG_3717_zpsjae90ps8.jpg

Still remaining: left ear detailing, RF ear detailing, the RF topper and stalk, and final weathering.

Thanks, guys!

DAY 39:

Here's the latest.
I've been working on the ears the past couple of days. Al sent me a real microswitch to install in the RF ear.
His lights will be self-contained, so the switch is for show. Here's the upper ear cap base in position.

IMG_3718_zpsc9bgblwx.jpg

I just finished airbrushing the black arch on the RF ear cap. This will dry overnight, then I'll mask for the
white half-arch. The damage detailing will come after that.

IMG_3719_zpshz5uo1cw.jpg

Except for some pastel weathering and the addition of the small black markings, the lower RF ear part
is finished. Since these are metal ears, all of the silver chips and scratches are physically scratched
through the paint with a sharp pick. Gotta show off that beautiful machined metal finish!
smile.png

IMG_3720_zpsyp0hlsty.jpg

I finished the detailing on the left ear as well. The small "E" markings are done, and the splotchy tan
weathering at the ear base has been applied. This ear is finished except for the final clear coat.

IMG_3721_zpszodqfvc6.jpg

If you notice the contrast between the ear and the dome/cheeks, that's the result of weathering down the
dome/cheeks with a slightly lightened, grayer tone. The ear was base coated with the same color, it was
just left "pure."

Still to do: white arch/damage on RF ear cap; final weathering passes (airbrush and pastels); clear coat;
visor installation; and RF topper and stalk.

Thanks very much!

DAY 44:

Happy TFA weekend! Hope everyone will get the chance to see the movie sometime soon. I saw it yesterday
afternoon and loved it. I'll be going back sometime to see it again, in 3D this time.

The helmet is really close to being done. I've been working on completing the RF ear cap, and doing the final
weathering stages. I'll get better pics once everything's done, as some of the weathering is kind of subtle.
I also finished the RF and stalk, although there are no LEDs installed right now. Al has a light kit that he's going
to put in once he receives the bucket. The Borden is installed as well. It was given a wash, and some silver
detailing.

IMG_3723_zps9kdg5wog.jpg

IMG_3725_zpsedurtvfk.jpg

The "spatter" is done as well. You can see some of it in these closer shots. Also the small black markings
on the RF ear parts. Love that bare metal!

IMG_3727_zpsuphgqfu8.jpg

IMG_3726_zpso99knayp.jpg

The final steps will be to install the visor using 2 custom aluminum brackets, and to install the MQ-1 board
behind the keyslots. I need to run to the hardware store to get some more epoxy. I thought I still had some,
but I guess I drank it all. Delicious! The next update will feature completed pics.

It's looking really great and I'm looking forward to seeing some snaps of it with a Visor installed as that will tie everything together. I have to say that you've really smashed this one out pretty quickly and done a top looking job.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back