Superjedi's MF-ESB for RPF member Al May

superjedi

Sr Hunter
And so it begins again. . . ;)

DAY 1:

Hi all!
I'm beginning another ESB commission this week. Although I've done many, this is something new from a certain point of view because
it's a make of helmet that I've never worked on before. This is an MF cast sent to me by RPF member Al May. The helmet was sent to
me partially prepped, and in the pic you can see that there's been some putty and primer work done already. I'll be cleaning everything
up so I begin with a "fresh palette."

It's a nice sturdy cast! Al asked me to do this one in the screen-used style.

IMG_3529_zpsgcssmjbi.jpg

The accessories include a gorgeous set of machined aluminum ears, a hollow aluminum RF stalk, a brass Borden replica, a
resin MQ-1 circuit board, a TerminalFettler RF topper, a Honeywell microswitch, and a dark green visor (not pictured).

IMG_3531_zpsl64qiudo.jpg

The next stage will involve a little more clean up to the visor slot, and application of some Bondo putty to some low spots and small divots
in the surface. Then I'll prime it and make sure everything looks good. Much more to come!

This will be a nice one!
Looks like one of the original helmets with the original machined ears from 2007ish. Glad someone decided to do something with it finally.
Just a reminder, on the original the visor is not green and the Borden is not brass. Maybe the owner would want to switch those out?

Hi Keegan.
I'm listing the accessories as the owner provided them to me. Not sure if he'll want to replace anything or not.
The metal ear set is really nice! Nothing looks more like metal than metal. :)

Yeah those metal wars inspired me way back then. That's why Mojo Fett and I worked so hard to top them!

- - - Updated - - -

The clean up is looking good btw. :)

Thanks!

Not much to update as of today. I did the 1st round of filler and got a coat of primer on. As I suspected, it revealed several more low/uneven spots, and some more small dings and pinholes that I'll need to fill. So no pics for today. I'll get some more Bondo on this afternoon after I'm sure that the primer is fully cured. Then tomorrow will be round 2 of sanding.

DAY 6:

Sheesh, the time is really slipping away! This helmet needed a bit more prep than others I've done recently.
But everything is filled/sanded/primed and I laid down the first color coat today: the Concrete on the rear panels.

IMG_3552_zpss4gwjuwy.jpg

IMG_3553_zpspm9llaez.jpg

IMG_3554_zpsefrbda3t.jpg

This will dry until tomorrow, then I'll start stenciling for the dark green. :)

Thanks. :)

DAY 9:

The rear panels are well underway now. I stenciled and masked for the dark green, and airbrushed it on yesterday.
Additional small details were added with a fine brush.

IMG_3556_zpstrxncjig.jpg

I always go back to tweak the edges of the color separations. The masking fluid is a very useful tool, but I can't always
get it to go into the smallest nooks and crannies around the edges. But it's pretty quick work to bring them to their
finished shapes.

IMG_3557_zpsmhnjjbmd.jpg

I'm all set now to begin the topical gray and silver. I'll be working on the left panel first.

Thanks a lot!

DAY 10:

The first major section is done. I finished up the left rear panel a little while ago and here's how it came out.

IMG_3562_zpsla6mvjc3.jpg

The finer details were done using a combination of mechanical weathering using wire wool and a sharp
scribing tool, and topical application of silver. At the end of the project I'll apply some of the pale contrasting
gray to certain areas. There's not too much of it on this portion of the helmet, so this is really close to the
final appearance. The right panel is up next.

It's looking good. The prominent vertical scuff on the left side of the left panel has been done perfectly. With this kind of attention to detail on this rare cast the owner will have something special!

DAY 14:

The right panel is now complete. It took me less time to finish this area than the big scrape!
smile.png

IMG_3592_zpsyskza6es.jpg

IMG_3594_zpslj04ktnu.jpg

The next stage will involve masking off the rear panels and laying down the base color on the dome and cheeks.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back