Sign-up for vacuformed "budget" armor kits

Hey guys, sorry for being absent the past few days. My internet has been out, and is still patchy. Of course no one is available to get it fixed over the weekend, so I finally got through to someone today. They did something on their end that is at least getting me patchy connections now, so I have to type fast haha. They are sending out a new modem this week, as supposedly the one I have "only has a shelf life of about a year". I still dont buy that excuse, but at least I am getting a new modem, and hopefully that fixes it. I have a feeling it is the line from the pole into the house though.

Orders not including resin accessories have been shipped (except for billy1776 who wanted a couple additional pieces, PM coming your way).

In order to expedite the casting of the master rocket I finally got in, and the other masters for the resin parts, I bought a kit of alumilite resin at the local Hobby Lobby. Ive always had good luck with their products, and since it saved me shipping costs, and the wait to get it, I went ahead and bought the kit in the store. I made the molds, and waited the 48hrs it said it would take for "full cure" before going to demold my masters. Problem is the silicone was still tacky, and stayed tacky for a couple days after that. I finally had to scrape, wipe, etc. the gunky half-cured silicone off my masters. Thankfully it didnt damage them any. Of course the package says if you have any trouble, to contact Alumilite, and gave their website. I wrote them a message explaining the situation, provided all the info I could etc. Of course I was without internet from Friday through this afternoon, so I just got their response today. Ends up the silicone had been on the shelf longer than it should have been, and they figure that is why it didnt work like it should. They have graciously offered to send me a replacement kit, which should arrive later this week.

This is another unforeseen delay added to the other delays that have been out of my control. I feel really bad about this.

What I can do, is for anyone unable/unwilling to wait, I can go ahead and ship your vacformed parts now, and then send the resin pieces within a week once I get the new silicone, and can get them cast. I perfectly understand anyone who wants this option. It will end up costing me more in the end in shipping, but I will eat that cost if need be to keep my customers happy.

The other option for those willing/able to wait, is that I will wait a few more days in order to ship your vacformed parts at the same time as the resin pieces. This would help me out as far as expenses (extra shipping and boxes) and time (extra trips to P.O.). I understand if no one is willing to take this option. This has taken much longer than expected already, and I never intended for anyone to have to wait this long.

If everyone could please either post here, or PM me with which option you would prefer, I will take the appropriate action for everyone.

Thank you all,
Rimshot

I forgot to mention, as an added bonus for the delay, the majority of you will be receiving some of your armor vacformed in .080 styrene instead of the usual .060. Due to a mixup with my plastic supplier, they gave me some .080 in place of the .060 they were backordered on, and I am passing the bonus on to you all. Not all parts are formed in the .080, but the "higher stress" pieces are.

Mate, I am happy to wait for the parts until you can cast the resin bits.

Just let us know when stuff happens (good or bad) and get the gear out as soon as you can.

Hey Rimshot,
Will you ship the pieces I've paid for now and then I can wait on the rest? I think I will do a second payment for the other pieces and get gauntlets (and maybe a kidney plate and backplate if you do them?) as well.
Thanks, Bill (billy1776)

Hey Rimshot,
Will you ship the pieces I've paid for now and then I can wait on the rest? I think I will do a second payment for the other pieces and get gauntlets (and maybe a kidney plate and backplate if you do them?) as well.
Thanks, Bill (billy1776)

Not a problem. I will get them out within the next day or so then. I will PM you once it is sent.

Ive got a bit more wait left in me. Do you make a backplate and kidney plate??

Ive never really considered making the kidney plate, as it is so easy to just cut and heat form out of flat styrene or sintra. Everyone is shaped differently, and differently sized, so it allows for a more personalized fit that way.

I do have a back armor mold in the works. It will be made to line up with my collar armor perfectly. It will most likely go for $30-40 dollars though due to size and shipping costs.

Also, I finally got a phone company repair man to come look at the line outside the house (which I had a feeling was the problem all along). Ends up I was right, and he had to replace one of the lines. My internet is working great so far, so I shouldnt be out of touch from now on.

Hi guys,

whodat - I don't have a definite ETA on the back armor. I will post an update here when it is ready.

timefiller - Ive never really considered thigh or shin armor, as the armor I currently make is more Boba styled than Jango.

Any new news on the delayed orders?

I basically got the run around from Alumilite on them sending me a replacement silicone kit. They told me it had shipped, and that I should have received it last week. It never came, and now they wont respond to my emails asking about it. Im having to front the cash for a second silicone kit (from a different supplier this time) and it is on it's way to me as we speak. From this experience, I would definitely advise anyone to stay away from Alumilite. I have had good luck with their products in the past, but their customer service is terrible.

I have been away for a bit, and then I realized... "Where are my gauntlets?"

Also, I do not mind .080 gauntlets. LMK if you can box up and ship out this week. And, a cool thing about .080 is you can take a palm-sander and grind the 70º-90º angles to be sharp edged on thick plastic – despite some soft pulls, you can sharpen outer corners up nicely... only slight concern, is the indentions. Anyway. I sharpened-up some .125" OSCS clone armor... you can get some crisp edges. But, if the indents/in-cut details are not pulled in tight... I may pause.

Send pics to me if you do not mind. john.sale@me.com.

My order is one of your smaller, pretty simple sets (plain gauntlets, no flamer, no rockets) – so, e-mail me if you have one of the simple $55.00 gauntlet sets ready – send some pics, and I will reply if they are good-to-go for you to box and ship.?

Sound fair

Thanks!

John

I forgot to mention, as an added bonus for the delay, the majority of you will be receiving some of your armor vacformed in .080 styrene instead of the usual .060. Due to a mixup with my plastic supplier, they gave me some .080 in place of the .060 they were backordered on, and I am passing the bonus on to you all. Not all parts are formed in the .080, but the "higher stress" pieces are.

I have been away for a bit, and then I realized... "Where are my gauntlets?"

Also, I do not mind .080 gauntlets. LMK if you can box up and ship out this week. And, a cool thing about .080 is you can take a palm-sander and grind the 70º-90º angles to be sharp edged on thick plastic – despite some soft pulls, you can sharpen outer corners up nicely... only slight concern, is the indentions. Anyway. I sharpened-up some .125" OSCS clone armor... you can get some crisp edges. But, if the indents/in-cut details are not pulled in tight... I may pause.

Send pics to me if you do not mind. john.sale@me.com.

My order is one of your smaller, pretty simple sets (plain gauntlets, no flamer, no rockets) – so, e-mail me if you have one of the simple $55.00 gauntlet sets ready – send some pics, and I will reply if they are good-to-go for you to box and ship.?

Sound fair

Thanks!

John

Gauntlets are only being done in .060 at this time. I may offer .080 for an additional charge in the future though, as the .080 test pulls I have done came out well. Your kit is ready to go and will be shipping this week. I will PM everyone with tracking info once their respective packages ship out.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back