ROTJ SE Scratch Build WIP - Advice Welcome

I can't decide how to attach the shoulder bells. I'm planning on using grommets, but don't want to place the grommet over the stitching on the ribs of the sleeve. Should I put the grommet in first to avoid the ribbing, then place the shoulder bell on the sleeve and make a mark on the shoulder bell through the grommet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work. If you are scratch building a helmet, I recommended Rafel Fett's templates. They are more accurate than WOF's Girth belts aren't that expensive, look for morhair. You can buy cheap hair extensions at Sally Beauty supply for Wookie braids.

Thanks Spy007. After painting my armor, the helmet is next. I've been mentally prepping for the helmet and planned on using Rafel Fett's templates. A friend of mine has horses so we'll see if I can get some horse hair for the Wookie braids. Also, after placing the bolts I'm beginning to wonder if you could cut off the head of the bolt and glue/bondo the bolt threads to the armor and then be able to pull the armor as close as possible to the vest. The bolt head wouldn't get in the way and leave a gap. But that's a project for the future. I guess a Fett is never really "finished".

I plan on using rattlecans for my paint job. Are Valspar and Krylon really as bad as people say? I know Rustoleum is good, but it's also more expensive.

Velcro is another option for attaching the shoulder bells, that way at least you wont compromise the stitching on the panels. The shoulders dont usually have very much movement to deal with, I dont think anyone really does full out running and gunning in costume to warrant bolting them down. Either way they'll hold well enough.

Thanks for the insight Armydad. I think I'll use Velcro on the shoulder bells. Updates on those soon hopefully, but right now I've been starting to paint. Initially, I though Rust-oleum was a lot more expensive because Joanns was selling it for $8.00 a can. I went to Home Depot and they had tons of colors for $3.44 a can. Needless to say I stocked up on paint. This isn't all the colors I plan on using, but it's a start.

IMG_0028.jpg

First, I started with a coat of gray.
IMG_0026.jpg

Then a coat of metallic silver.
IMG_0027.jpg

I've been using a small piece of scrap sintra to test every coat before doing the armor. While I'm painting I'm working on the last few details of other pieces. I realize I probably won't have time for the jetpack by the end of Oct, but it's not Boba Fett without the helmet and the gauntlets. I'll be working pretty hard for the next month to get everything done.

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

I've been doing a lot of painting the past few days. First, though I had to prep the cod piece with bondo and sand it smooth. There are a few rough spots, but it turned out better than expected.

Cod No Paint.JPG

All the armor got a coat of grey primer and then metallic silver. Next I used masking fluid to mask off the appropriate areas using Raf's stencils as a guide.

Armor Yellow.JPG

Then I masked off the areas that need to stay yellow and put on a coat of Spruce green (the lighter green). More masking, then Hunt Club green. Here's a picture of my progress so far. (The knees are on hold for now)

Armor Paint WIP.JPG

A little more masking, another coat of paint, and it will be ready for weathering. I'm still brainstorming the best way to do the chest and shoulder decals.

Cod No Paint.JPG

Armor Yellow.JPG

Armor Paint WIP.JPG

Peeling off the masking fluid is pretty exciting. Here's what I've got so far. The yellow is a little overwhelming to my eyes, but I think the weathering and black misting on top will tone it down.

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

Once a again, very nice work. The advantage of Krylon is the faster drying time, But I do agree the 2 Rustolium greens are more accurate. I chose velcro for may armor.

Thanks for all the encouraging feedback! I'm really enjoying painting the armor. It's been challenging at times, but good. Here are a few pictures of the armor so far. I did a little weathering. Do you think I need more? These were taken outside not in direct sunlight. The other pieces are in the process of getting the decals.

IMG_0030.jpgIMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

All of my free time has been spent working on various aspects of the costume. I had to redo the ammo pouches because the hot glue didn't hold. I used a stronger glue and a staple gun in inconspicuous places. It's working a lot better. I also attached the shoulder bells using velcro as suggested by Armydad (thanks!). The helmet has been my main focus though. Here are a few in-progress pictures. I'm using Raf's templates at 93%. It's a snug fit, but should work. There was a little trouble with the lower left cheek, but a little bondo can fix that. I also glued the keyhole in the back this morning as well.

IMG_0077.JPGIMG_0078.JPGIMG_0079.JPG IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

A TRULY GREAT BUILD so far!!! Are you using Sintra for your helmet as well??? I just can't tell w/ the stencils glue on...just curious, cuz I had a vicious time w/ 2mm Sintra on my helmet...heat gun and boiling water proved to be a nightmare!!!

- - - Updated - - -

PS...what kinda glue are you using w/ the Sintra???

A TRULY GREAT BUILD so far!!! Are you using Sintra for your helmet as well??? I just can't tell w/ the stencils glue on...just curious, cuz I had a vicious time w/ 2mm Sintra on my helmet...heat gun and boiling water proved to be a nightmare!!!

- - - Updated - - -

PS...what kinda glue are you using w/ the Sintra???

Thanks eventHORIZON, I really appreciate the support! Yeah Sintra is definitely not the easiest thing to work with. I'm currently ignoring the back plate for that very reason. I debated using sintra for the helmet, but decided to go with 1mm card stock. After trying to shape sintra for the other armor pieces, I thought card stock would be easier to work with for the helmet and the gauntlets. After I'm finished constructing the helmet/gaunlets I plan on using fiberglass resin to harden the cardboard and then use bondo, or some other filler, to smooth everything out.

As for glue, I used Loctite epoxy for plastics. It worked great even when joining just the edges of the sintra (like the curved part of the knees). I'm using an Elmer's craft glue and some hot glue for the helmet. I've been pleasantly surprised with the Elmer's glue.

So, like I posted earlier, the knees were on hold for a while. I wasn't completely happy with the Sintra knee dart boxes, so with the help of my father-in-law, we made some new ones. I put bondo on the back side to be sanded down to achieve the sloping effect.

IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0034.jpgIMG_0036.jpg

We also made the cone knee dart for the right knee out of an old wooden dowel. First we drilled a hole in the center. Then we put the entire dowel in the drill press to create a make-shift lathe. Using a file and sand paper, we shaped it into the correct shape.

IMG_0035.jpg

He also had an old keyboard, so I used the keys for the shoulder and side greeblies/studs. Used a dremel to hollow out the inside, then sanded the tops of the keys to be flat. I use an epoxy to embed the blots into the keys. these will feed through the armor and be secured using a washer and nut.
IMG_0031.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0037.jpg

I'll be working on those things as I continue to work on the helmet. Here's the keyhole and the extra dome supports (which I highly recommend despite the extra work). I'm currently working on the dome, then the ears.
IMG_0038.jpgIMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

About a week ago or so I finished painting the chest and shoulder decals. I'm really pleased with how the chest turned out, but the shoulder didn't turn out as I had hoped. It still looks ok and I plan on touching it up once I have more time. I used stencils and masking fluid to paint the decals. In general, the armor is too "clean" looking for what I eventually would like, but so far I'm happy.
armorbust.JPGshoulderdecal.JPGchestdecal.JPG

More work on the helmet last night. Finished putting the dome on except for the section where the dent will be.
domewip.jpgdometopwip.jpghelmet top.jpg

shoulderdecal.JPG

armorbust.JPG

chestdecal.JPG

domewip.jpg

dometopwip.jpg

helmet top.jpg

The past few days have been nothing but Boba Fett. I fiberglassed the inside of the helmet and have begun to paint the knees. The ears are taking longer than expected but I'm having fun putting them together. Since the helmet is taking longer than anticipated, the gauntlets seem to slipping out of the realm of possibility for Oct 31. I keep telling myself quality over quantity. Either way I'm sure it will get the job done for the office halloween party.

IMG_0040.jpgIMG_0041.jpgIMG_0042.jpgIMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

I'm continuing to prep the helmet for paint. Several layers of Bondo on top, and a rough layer on the cheeks. Hopefully, I can lay down the primer sometime tomorrow, but I still have quite a bit of work to do. The ears are just taped on for these pictures. How does it look so far?

IMG_0046.JPGIMG_0047.JPGIMG_0048.JPGIMG_0045.JPGIMG_0049.JPGIMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

You did an amazing job with that helmet! Everything looks clean and well made, especially the dome! Keep up the great work!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back