ROTJ Boba Fett Build Thread - the journey begins ....

WHAT !!! ROTJ doesn't have the survival knife as part of the costume? The boy in me is crushed
MojoTurbo
Yeah, Boba learned to be just as deadly without it. It was cramping his style!
:p

For me, I’m kinda glad as it’s one less thing to carry and worry about. But also on the flip side, it is a cool tool to be toting around too!

-Iron

20230826_142054.jpg

See my MANOWAR anti security blade doesn't have the "threading" at the top of the posts like it's supposed to and 501st says it's required

MojoTurbo
Oh that's kinda weird! I too started out with a set from MoW Studios too and mine had that "Knurling" at the top....
Shin Tools.jpg

But also pictured here is the Gaffer's Tape......

-Iron

Last edited:
View attachment 238120

WHAT !!! ROTJ doesn't have the survival knife as part of the costume? The boy in me is crushed

It's not officially part of the costume, but I still carry one because like Irongladiator said, it's cool to have.

View attachment 238122

See my MANOWAR anti security blade doesn't have the "threading" at the top of the posts like it's supposed to and 501st says it's required
Like I stated before, It would be best if you just went with the found parts.

As ShortFuse pointed out - best to have them found parts. Yeah I had a little bit of buyers remorse from the MoW Shin Tool Set, just cause the found parts and Machine Craft Replica's price for the Shin Tool Rods and Gaffers Tape.....it worked out to be a little cheaper than MoW's Shin Tool Set - and in my opinion, looks better.
1693084701442.png

Here's a comparison of mine...
Shin Tool Comparison.jpg

Of course the added cost to both sides is the paint. and for the Paterson Shin Tools, getting your hands on some thick Acrylate to shape, and also a bolt with the correct thread (#10-32) I lopped off only what I needed and go the two rod sections together....
Photo Jan 04, 1 27 53 PM.jpg

Ryobi Belt Sander and Vibro Blade.jpg

Dremel - Threaded Rod.jpg

MCR with Threaded Rod and Loctite.jpg

MCR - Shin Tool Rods Together.jpg

That threaded rod is a nice touch as it is inline with the 501st CRL pic....
Anti-Security Blade - ROTJ.jpg

-Iron

MojoTurbo
(Not sure if you seen, but I sent you a PM)

I will give MoW some credit as it appears he updated his molds to include these two pieces on the squeegee....
1693098579922.png

Which when I bought mine back in 2019, the squeegee didn't have that at the time. In fact, here is a screen shot I kept from his old offering....
MoW Shin Tools.jpg

When I first got into building my Fett, I thought these initially looked good. Then, I'm sure like most, really started to scrutinize the reference pictures and what the props had on em'. That led me to upgrade my shin tools. And to my surprise, for the same money, got something that yes, I had to assemble, but in my opinion thought they looks worlds better. But you are right, MoW's Squeege doesn't look half bad.

-Iron

Here is the progress so far, I dont know how I feel about it - I keep going back and forth between - "do I want to be 501st approved" or so I want to have fun and build somethings myself
20230827_145101.jpg

I always wondered about that piece. I only kept the Anti-Security Blade and the Sonic Beam Weapon from that MoW kit. I didn't even bother with the others and sold them off. When I got my Paterson Squeegee, I sold off the rest of that MoW Kit. One wonders why Christian (MoW) he couldn't just make that as part of the mold to cast, rather than have it as a separate piece though?

If it was me, I'd try to embed a small screw with a Countersink Drill Bit, like this....
1693259920220.png

...into the little MoW piece then epoxy over it and sand it down again and then screw the small piece into the handle while also using epoxy for added strength. Hope that makes sense.

-Iron

I always wondered about that piece. I only kept the Anti-Security Blade and the Sonic Beam Weapon from that MoW kit. I didn't even bother with the others and sold them off. When I got my Paterson Squeegee, I sold off the rest of that MoW Kit. One wonders why Christian (MoW) he couldn't just make that as part of the mold to cast, rather than have it as a separate piece though?

If it was me, I'd try to embed a small screw with a Countersink Drill Bit, like this....
View attachment 238157
...into the little MoW piece then epoxy over it and sand it down again and then screw the small piece into the handle while also using epoxy for added strength. Hope that makes sense.

-Iron
Epoxy and a screw should sub well for the glue issues.

I wouldn’t glue your spikes on though. I used short carpet strip nails through the holes in the plate and straight into the sole of the boot. I also epoxied a thumbtack (with the colored plastic cover taken off) to the middle inside of the plate to keep it from moving up and down. This will make it easier to take on and off for repairs, because the spikes usually take a beating.
It may be hard to visualize. I can post a pic, but I am on shift for the next couple of days. I can post one on Sunday.

ShortFuse
I may be able to assist with the visual on this...
1693602968117.png

So this is what I have, which is Imperial Boots (Now known as Keep Trooping) Metal Toe Spikes. They actually came with my Fett Boots I got from them - sadly, they no longer offer Fett stuff. But you'll notice that spike that faces inward that I've outlined with a RED circle. What Shortfuse, I believe is saying, is that he epoxied a thumbtack on the back side of his toe spikes like this. The idea is so that this inward facing spike is to go into the sole of the boot. This is so that the toe spikes do not shift up or down on the sole while moving.

For me, I also reinforced the metal toe spikes and epoxied the metal bar directly onto the sole too.

-Iron

ShortFuse
I may be able to assist with the visual on this...
View attachment 238260

So this is what I have, which is Imperial Boots (Now known as Keep Trooping) Metal Toe Spikes. They actually came with my Fett Boots I got from them - sadly, they no longer offer Fett stuff. But you'll notice that spike that faces inward that I've outlined with a RED circle. What Shortfuse, I believe is saying, is that he epoxied a thumbtack on the back side of his toe spikes like this. The idea is so that this inward facing spike is to go into the sole of the boot. This is so that the toe spikes do not shift up or down on the sole while moving.

For me, I also reinforced the metal toe spikes and epoxied the metal bar directly onto the sole too.

-Iron

Thanks for the assistance, Matt. That is exactly what I was talking about. With the aforementioned attachments, I haven’t felt the need to glue them on. I’ve had to replace spikes before and it just makes it easier to not have to deal with the glue/epoxy.

Thanks for pointing the suede thing out

The description on their website says "FABRIC"

The picture of the spikes I have are on page 1 of this thread

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back