LOOK HERE NOW! JK3 This Meens You!

I realize i may have sounded like a crazy forum poster crying to leave my omgsuperawesomefavoritist company alone, but what I had to say is the sad truth. I've worked in the toy industry at both Hasbro and Fisher Price, in fact on some Star Wars stuff (I was actually getting to work on a turbo tank concept about 3 years or so ago which got killed at the time due to budget and a lot of the McQuarrie figures). WM unfortunately pretty well sets the prices for figures. And if a company wants to sell a product to walyworld and still actually profit they have to pick their battles. It means at the beginning of a figure wave you know you will only have say 90 deco hits for the entire wave if you want to have say for instance 4 new figure sculpts tooled up for the wave. May sound like a lot, but stop to think there are 5 to 6 deco hits on the head of a figure alone (whites, iris, pupil, eyelashes, hair, and eyebrow) Then there's the boots, a strap, a wash or wipe to possibly dirty a firgure.
If an investment is made in a new sculpt, a lot of times the company is going to get their moneys worth out of it. Like why the two female mandos have the same bodies. Its not feasible to do a specific sculpt for every new figure, sad but true.

So what happens is like with the Jodo figure. They know they want to add Jodo as a new character. It just isn't in the budget for a new sculpt, and ultimately his costume is pretty darn close to Boba's, so they use a Boba body. May not be the best dream solution, but a kid (They are toys for kids afterall) probably won't nitpick the details.

I'm not the best at talking thru the keyboard, but I figured I'd shed some light on the matter from the perspective of someone who's been in the industry at one point.

Great points John. It's always interesting to here from people who have some inside knowledge on the topic. Given the opportunity to go back Hasbro and work on Star Wars or stay where you are working on real armor designs which would you do?

I realize i may have sounded like a crazy forum poster crying to leave my omgsuperawesomefavoritist company alone, but what I had to say is the sad truth. I've worked in the toy industry at both Hasbro and Fisher Price, in fact on some Star Wars stuff (I was actually getting to work on a turbo tank concept about 3 years or so ago which got killed at the time due to budget and a lot of the McQuarrie figures). WM unfortunately pretty well sets the prices for figures. And if a company wants to sell a product to walyworld and still actually profit they have to pick their battles. It means at the beginning of a figure wave you know you will only have say 90 deco hits for the entire wave if you want to have say for instance 4 new figure sculpts tooled up for the wave. May sound like a lot, but stop to think there are 5 to 6 deco hits on the head of a figure alone (whites, iris, pupil, eyelashes, hair, and eyebrow) Then there's the boots, a strap, a wash or wipe to possibly dirty a firgure.
If an investment is made in a new sculpt, a lot of times the company is going to get their moneys worth out of it. Like why the two female mandos have the same bodies. Its not feasible to do a specific sculpt for every new figure, sad but true.

So what happens is like with the Jodo figure. They know they want to add Jodo as a new character. It just isn't in the budget for a new sculpt, and ultimately his costume is pretty darn close to Boba's, so they use a Boba body. May not be the best dream solution, but a kid (They are toys for kids afterall) probably won't nitpick the details.

I'm not the best at talking thru the keyboard, but I figured I'd shed some light on the matter from the perspective of someone who's been in the industry at one point.

Well that about summed up what I was going to say apart from the fact that these figures are designed for kids, a toy company is not going to lose its margin because a minority of adult fans want 100% accuracy.

Why can't toy manufacture companies listen to the fans? Or perhaps have done some research with the creator of the character? Seriously though! Don't these toy companies have a R&D Department (Research & Development) ? ? ?

Thanks for posting my brother.

And keep on sniffing.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back