Kal's Custom Mando

uh... dunno honestly, ours are based on chest size. For example I wear a 38 Reg in my ABUs, where as I wore a Medium Reg in BDUs, but I don't have ACUs so I don't know how their sizing runs.

more progress... still on the rifle this time. However, it's so close to finished I may work on the plates again next week so stay tuned! lol.

DSCN1715.jpg

DSCN1714.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

Awesome! This is a dumb question but how did you connect all the pieces of wood? Glue? Nails? Both? I'm thinking about building my own weapons out of wood like you're doing.

glue and woodscrews... no nails in there but I do have a lot of woodscrews to hold together the main pieces, and I used Gorillaglue Woodglue to hold the majoriy of it together.

actually... I think I may make a new rifle... I came up with a pretty awesome idea that's a lil more Swarzy using an enfield action and magazine, m4 stock and pistol grip and some pieces of PVC, and some ideas i got from the Fallout 3 Laser Rifle. As for the armor, well I now know a time frame I NEED to get it done in. I want to have this kit ready by Halloween, so I'll be REALLY hitting it hard over the next few weeks to get it all together. After reviewing some threads over on the mercs, I think I will be greening out and making myself into a Mandalorian Protector.

and it's a bit easier... the shin plates are in the works right now, I'll have those done shortly I hope. Then I'll be working on Spats, vest, thighs and the gaunts were actually mostly salvageable so... I still have gaunts, they just need to be finished. Maybe after this weekend and next weekend I'll have most of a suit.

I NEED HELP!!! I need to have this kit done by Halloween, 31 Oct 2010, however... I'm going on TDY for 1-2 weeks on the 18th of October so, it really has to be done before then. I need to fix/finish the following items:

1. Shins- Somebody please tell me the best way to make a good set of shins because ALL of my attempts thus far have failed miserably.
2. Vest- I have plates, I have a vest... but I have no way to attach the plates to my vest! My vest is a nice MOLLE plate carrier, that I do NOT want to damage. Therefore I need to find a way to attach the plates via the MOLLE straps and I have a VERY limited budget... and ideas would be great.
3. Knees- Somebody please tell me how to make a good pair of knees... everything I've tried thusfar has failed miserably.
4. Shoulders- I need some suggestions for attaching the shoulders to the suit, they need to be the type that flow with the arms.
5. boot plates- I had plans to make spats, but due to problems with not knowing how to sew correctly and not able to pay someone to sew it for me, it ain't gonna work... somebody tell me how to attach these things to the boots.

Unfortunately with the new rank and new job title, a possible deployment looming and the fact that this kit has been a WIP for 2 years now I'm running out of time. Add to that the fact I've already spent a LOT of money on this, my wife's getting fed up and frankly so am I. I REALLY want to finish this kit soon, or I'm going to have to abandon it. Help me vode... you're my only hope!

Ok...

1 and 3: combine the shins and the knees to make a full pair of greaves. Lots more comfortable and far more practical than seperated pieces.
http://www.google.com/images?q=grea...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1440&bih=707
Get a round plastic trash can, trace your design, cut it out, form it up, add straps, paint, and go!
2: ...no idea...mando armour and MOLLE have never been friends it seems...
4: Attach them around the top straps of your MOLLE rig. sticky backed velcro.
5: go with actual plates on the boots. like so:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!...bal&view=global&subj=1477662302&id=1396557142
It's really simple to make, then you just run a strap to your greave and another under your boot (use elastic) and it stays on perfectly.

You can do this ner vod! OYA!!!

1. Shins/boot plates- Personally I'd go with the trashcan method. Shape them with a heat gun, and voila. I'd use plastic cement to attach elastic bands that you can just slip the armor on and off. Basically like Skip did here. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php/27052-My-Custom-Design?p=464724&viewfull=1#post464724
2. Vest- MOLLE clips I would think would be the best choice for not damaging your vest.
3. Shoulders- If they're gonna be permanently attached to the shoulders of your jumpsuit, I'd again go with plastic cement.
4. Knees- Ooooh. Tough one, bro. I'm not the right guy to ask on this one.

OK, plan is to acquire a boba vest, use snaps to put plates on the vest and straps to wear my shins I guess. I still want to do the traditional knees, I'm going for a protector style kit. Shoulders should attach to a boba vest easily enough. I'm going to try my best to sand down and fill/paint the shins over the next few days. They have 3 layers of fibreglass on 'em and 1 layer of resin on the inside. The gaunts need to be finished, they've got about 4 layers of resin outside, and 2 inside with fibreglass touchups around the seams. I still need to place hinges on those and get 'em painted up.

sorry guys I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can, I had a family emergency and had to go out of town for a few days.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back