GA Jet Pack Questions

Great, please let us know. I have a very heavy jet pack and would love to get one that is easier to carry for 8 hours. :D

John Barrows, Jr.
TK-1776

Last edited by a moderator:

DanakinSkywalker wrote:

If that's the same kind of jet pack kit I got, and I think it is, it won't be lightweight once it's together.
He said he has redone this one within the last month and it is much lighter.

"The outer skin is a double layer of urethane and the inner core is expanding rigid urethane 20 lb. foam. This makes it very strong and very lightweight."

Here is an image he sent of a finished one:
jet packdone3.jpg
jet packdone6.jpg

Paypal sent. Thanks! :D

John Barrows, Jr.
TK/TD/BH-1776
501st New England Garrison

I received mine yesterday and I'm itching to work on it, but I have to finish braiding what seems to be the millionth braid for my belt. Thank you for offering these!

Jen

This special price is over. The price on the next group will be $245.00 plus $25.00 shipping. The materials cost more than expected and he had to raise the price. If anyone is interested on doing another run at this price please let me know.

I will start an interest list for the next run:

Got my pack today. Man, what a lot of work ahead. Everything needs to be trimed, cut, etc... The back of the pack that goes against the back is nothing more than a huge sheet of thin plastic that isn't cut to size and someone just doodled stuff all over it. I'm talking a good weeks worth of non stop sanding, etc.. just to be able to start doing anything with this. I guess I'm not used to building my own pack from scratch. The inside of the pack just looks like that foam type crap squirted all over it. Weird!

Oh well!

John Barrows, Jr.
TK-1776

TK-1776, when you get to the point of installing a harness for this, will you help me out? I've trimmed mine out, and now I'm a sanding fool! :p

Jen

Sure, I'll help. I'm not even sure exactly how I'm going to do this. It doesn't look anything like what I thought it would. My other jet pack is made of fiberglass and was designed in a totally different way. Somehow, you and I will figure this whole thing out. :D

John Barrows, Jr.
TK-1776
501st NEG

Got mine on Friday. Here is what I have so far after trimming off the extra and drilling out the top for the rocket. The maker was right that the pack is very light but the rockt is solid and does add some weight to it.
DCP_1262.jpg
DCP_1261.jpg

Darthvader: I have to tell you again..You did a fantastic job with your GA:)

Here's my GA pack i buildt some time ago..It was a nightmare all the way to build and i believe it was one of GA's early kits. Almost none of the parts matched and the rocket was skewed and uneven. I threw away all the resin details and replaced them with russrep's excellent machined parts. Even though it was hard and frustrating i was pretty happy with the result anyway. The only good thing about this kit was the stickers.

Buildt and primered:

update2_jp.jpg

Painted:
jet pack1.jpg

Test fit on the costume:
jet pack2.jpg

-Mikael

Outstanding work, guys.

These packs should take you no more than about 20 minutes of trimming.
I can take one of these kits and have all the parts trimmed, puttied, sanded, primered and ready for assembly in about 2 hours.

to the guy who wrote:

Got my pack today. Man, what a lot of work ahead. Everything needs to be trimed, cut, etc... The back of the pack that goes against the back is nothing more than a huge sheet of thin plastic that isn't cut to size and someone just doodled stuff all over it. I'm talking a good weeks worth of non stop sanding, etc.. just to be able to start doing anything with this....

If you have a belt sander and a dremel with a cutoff wheel you'll it shouldn't take you more than about 10 minutes to sand most of the excess away, and then another 30 minutes of dremel work to fine-tune and an hollow out the rocket area.
This is a "KIT". Kits don't come trimmed and sanded. What you get is the raw parts i.e.
jpack2004.jpg
With the motivation the trimming and assembly takes about 3 hours. THe enclosure another hour or so, and then you can take as much time as you'd like with the paintjob.

Here's my samples of the current kit buildup. I took a raw kit on thursday, and had it finished just like this by monday. Just get a dremel and belt sander and set to it.

jpack2004a.jpg

jpack2004b.jpg

jpack2004c.jpg

impervium@aol.com

Here is my progress:

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11315&forum=6

I was the one who organized the group purchase that some people took advantage of. The PVC thing might work but it is so much unnecessary work. I just used a square dowel and used bondo to attach it inside the jet pack frame and screwed the harness attachments to it.

For the guys that used the airwick cones as thrusters, How do you keep them attached to the resin balls? I have already broken them off 4 times and I have only only the suit once. I used the superglue gell.

I had to get my decals from another member on the boards as they did not come with them.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back