Custom Mando :D (Pic Heavy)

LoL, I said we shall see. ;)

I've been modiying me gun to clean it up a bit, but the bondo gods must not be satisfied with my sacrifices because this last bondo application hasn't dried properly and it's been like a day. I think I'm going to have to scrape it off and try again. Pics prolly later today, maybe tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have to say that your armor came out awesome. It has inspired me to start working on my own armor to go with my helmet.

eh be patient with the bondo... if necessary put more over it and sand, I wouldn't scrape it off quite yet.

Hi Can'ika, been a while since I have had chance to take a look at your kit.

Totally proud of you for getting a kit done on a budget and looking fairly respectable.

The only thing I would note would be your gun, it looks a bit patched together and may need to look a little more solid, silver spray, toothpast and some cheap matt spray paint will also sort it.

Now you've got yourself to a completed stage, now comes the upgrades! :)

Thanks, Saz. :) I'm pretty proud of it too!

Mmm, I'm excited for those upgrades. I'd love to do all metal armor.

Yup, the gun is totally patched together. I'm in the middle of fixing it up right now. I've slapped some bondo on it--making proper sacrifices to the bondo gods, of course ;) --and I have some pics of that...

128a151c.jpg

f4d50969.jpg

69191b18.jpg

728fbd91.jpg

I'm pretty close to all that being done and making a holster, then I'll move onto some better gaunts that aren't made out of cereal boxes. Between waiting for each bondo installment to dry, I played around with some supplies I had lying around.

Mock up gaunts made from non other than Arizona Iced Tea cans! With a Gatorade bottle insert.
d368e5e1.jpg

51c6dc98.jpg

d933f8f1.jpg

775132d5.jpg

2bbb26b6.jpg

fadb91a7.jpg

1b84c48b.jpg

After my papa cut down a tree in the backyard I grabbed a giant log so maybe one day I can actually do my own metal work. I used that, a ball point hammer, and a baseball bat to shape the cans.
d2182f0a.jpg

0e45857d.jpg

I'd say it was a successful day. :)

awesome! U made it to a con! Way to go Ord'ika... I still haven't finished my kit yet! lol I just realized I'm past the 2 year mark working on it too. Sad I know.

I still haven't finished my kit yet! lol I just realized I'm past the 2 year mark working on it too. Sad I know.

Have you hooked up with the Mercs in your area? How about the Legion? What can be done to help you along? You were one of the folks I read up on and followed when I first discovered TDH. Now I have a whole mess load of approved costumes in all four clubs.

yeah it's a work issue really... I'm on the mercs forum, every time the local mercs have an armor party I'm out of state... never fails. I work excessively long hours when I'm stateside, and when I'm not it's kinda hard to work on stuff. I am however right now trying to recruit some mercs/TDH vode to help out with the finishing of the first kit... which HOPEFULLY will be done NLT June of this year. I have a LOT of it done... it just needs finishing, check out my WIP thread I'll give details over there so I'm not hi jacking Ord'ika's thread.

All right! I have been working even though I haven't been updating. First off, my gun is MUCH farther along -- nearly finished. I'll get to the details of that in a second. Secondly, I'm reworking my kit a little bit, sharpening it up, what not. I added some more velcro to a few front plates so they stay on better. I'm going to reshape my thighs and make new knees and shins. I am also working towards getting some heavy duty snaps so I can properly attach my lower armor and I have leather to use as straps. I'm also going to reshape my back plate to fit better. I think that's about it besides a few other odds and ends. I'm hoping to have my kit back together for the release of Episode I on February 10. Now! The pics...

Got all the sanding done.
a7c81192.jpg

Primed it. I was having a lot of trouble figuring out what in the galaxies to do for greebs while it was unpainted. PRIME THINGS! It helps with "greebers block".
c9f8982b.jpg

And this is my master plan for this side of the gun.
ad4a371f.jpg

I had a brilliant scope idea from sprinkle bottles.
1bd26e00.jpg

I cut off the threads and am going to put the cap on the end.
0deab3e5.jpg

Updated design: turning those bars into fins...
7088d0a4.jpg

...which I made from Arizona Iced Tea cans.
b527cac1.jpg

I cut out most of the pieces from a frame backing.
f8428a70.jpg

I took part in what I like to call "The Great Greeb Harvest".
8174ce5b.jpg

Came up with this from all of that.
3be5d263.jpg

This is pretty much where I stand for now with the gun. I'm putting epoxy on those frame backing pieces atm and working on gluing the other greebs on.
4048de4c.jpg

Also picked up a pipe clip and bent it into shape to make a trigger guard (temp glued on with hot glue so I didn't have to hold it on for the pic).
0113121519a_0001.jpg

So, it's a big post, sorry. Y'all needed an update. ;) When I get more work done on the actual armor I'll be back. Enjoy!

Ord'ika that blaster's looking better all the time. I have an idea for ya tho... just looking at it, I think it'd be awesome if you added a stock and extended the barrel a little bit, make it into a carbine. Take a look at the DC-15A buttstock (WWII MG34). I think with a little bit of shortening for your frame a stock like that with a slightly longer barrel would make that thing a beast.

This armour is wicked sweet! Love the purple scheme! :)
And it's really cool to see all the steps. Btw, those Iced-Tea-Gatorade-gaunts are awesome. I've never made anything from scratch before, so I may have to steal that idea of yours and see if I can actually make something out of it. If you don't mind ;)

First off, thanks for the compliments, vode. I really appreciate it! :D

Ord'ika that blaster's looking better all the time. I have an idea for ya tho... just looking at it, I think it'd be awesome if you added a stock and extended the barrel a little bit, make it into a carbine. Take a look at the DC-15A buttstock (WWII MG34). I think with a little bit of shortening for your frame a stock like that with a slightly longer barrel would make that thing a beast.

I agree, that would be pretty beast. Do you think it's possible for me to build the stock and extended barrel like add-ons? I could carry the barrel and stock in a pack and pull 'em out when I really wanted to scare people. ;)

I threw together a quick sketch of what that might look like...
7fc5c0b4.jpg

This armour is wicked sweet! Love the purple scheme! :)
And it's really cool to see all the steps. Btw, those Iced-Tea-Gatorade-gaunts are awesome. I've never made anything from scratch before, so I may have to steal that idea of yours and see if I can actually make something out of it. If you don't mind ;)

Go for it. My only request is that you document your work so we can all see! ;)

yeah it's certainly doable. Lowes sells threaded PVC connectors that can easily be used to make a barrel detachable. Might take a little more innovation with the stock but it's totally doable to make it detachable. How would you feel about modding the back of your blaster to fit a stock housing? I think I can come up with something pretty darn decent. I'm still working on my own blaster as well so... I'm kinda sharing some of my design process with you.

EDIT: So I came up with a sketch of what I was thinking of (sorry about the low picture quality my laptop has a bad webcam... no scanners at my deployed loc). Here's the 2 options I can think of right off the top of my head for attachment methods. The barrel would screw on using a threaded PVC connector (hence the removal of anything asymetrical). The stock can attach 1 of 2 ways.

Option #1 is the more aggressive approach. It requires cutting a T-shaped attachment point in the back of the blaster, and adding a matching adapter to the stock itself. Then use a metal/thick plastic plate screwed onto the top of the blaster to hold it in.

Option #2 is the more simplistic approach. Take another of the threaded connectors attach the "male" portion to the stock (using a dowel rod/pvc pipe for the stock tube) and the "female" threaded piece to the actual blaster. It simply screws in. I would say the best way to do this one would be to make a hole in the back of the blaster, attach the "female" threaded piece over the hole and slide the "male" piece over the stock. Then insert the stock into the hole, line it up all nice and straight then tighten the "male" piece down as far as it'll go without over-torquing it. Once it's all in place use a heavy duty epoxy or other very strong adhesive to fuse the male adapter to the stock. Then, use your fine crafting skills to reinforce it with some bondo to make it a little more durable and viola.

Here's the sketch!

ArcSoft_Image2.jpg

ArcSoft_Image2.jpg

kal'ika, you are the man. I looked up some threaded pvc connectors so I could have a better feel for what you were talking about and option 2 (which I like a lot more) is brilliant. I think I can do it, but it'll take some time, more planning, etc.. I could fancy up a plug to hide the hole in the back of the gun the female end would leave then take it out to put the stock in. I'd really like to try this. Thanks, kal'ika! :D

Hey! So far so good! I like the process you went through to come up with your custom mando. In regards to your purple problem, you may want to experiment with mixing colors together (purple with a navy blue mist could lead to some interesting effects. I don't know if you plan to or not, but I would also suggest battle scaring your armor as well. Give your mando some real grit (like you've killed a couple of armies or so!). This adds an element of extra character and realism to the armor. also, I know black is very popular but don't use the color for shading purposes (blacks and whites flattens good work and can make or break a piece of art). Instead, use dark colors of the complementary spectrum of your armor (in this case, you'd either want to go with a yellow or brown and mix a little purple in with it to give more volume to the hues).

Anyway that's my two cents (These are just some design elements I think about when I'm working on projects so take with it what you will). I hope your project is successful!

Yeah I would think a plugged adapter would work well on the back end. It's really not that difficult, the hardest part really is lining up the stock so that it goes on straight every time. It works (more or less) the same as the buffer tubes on collapsible M4 stocks.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back