Making the first Rafal Works Helmet

RafalFett

Well-Known Hunter
Finally, I was able to put my hands on some pieces of cardboard to start the RWH scratchbuild with the templates I made. You can find the templates here RWH Templates and you can read about the RWH project thread here The Boba Fett Helmet Project.
After I printed all the pages, I glued the inner and outer parts of the helmet form and the dome and helmet form parts. Also glued the cheek bones on the cardboard.

Dsc05439.jpg Dsc05435.jpg Dsc05436.jpg

I cut out the dome base template and the helmet inner parts then glued the inner parts on the bottom of the dome base template.

Dsc05441.jpg Dsc05442.jpg Dsc05445.jpg

Next, I cut out the inner helmet face, then glued on to the dome base template.

Dsc05447.jpg Dsc05446.jpg Dsc05448.jpg

Finally, I glued on and cut out the rear panel, then glued the two pieces together. You can see that I left a thin strip around three-quarters of the rear panel that will help me to glue this on the inside of the inner helmet part.

Dsc05449.jpg Dsc05450.jpg

Stay close, there's more to come.

Respect!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't want the first post come to the end, I want more! I really love scratchbuild threads and specially this one because of the new templates!

Today I removed the inner parts of the helmet and made a circular cut in the dome base. Then cut out the main dome parts and glued on the dome base ring.

Dsc05452.jpg Dsc05453.jpg Dsc05454.jpg

I moved on to the rear keyhole panel. I bended the cardboard strip around the rear panel and added a small piece of cardboard that follow the curvature of the back helmet.

Dsc05455.jpg

Then I glued the panel into the back of the helmet.

Dsc05456.jpg

I plan to do the dome first, then I will glue on the outer face template to the inner one. This way I will cover the dome base much better.

Respect!

Looks good shaped and sturdy so far! :D

Thanks!

Today I did the first steps for a complete helmet. I have redone the rear keyhole and the back panel paint and scratches templates and glued on to the helmet.

Dsc05466.jpg Dsc05461.jpg Dsc05463.jpg Dsc05462.jpg Dsc05467.jpg Dsc05468.jpg Dsc05457.jpg

And here is the helmet with the MQ-1 circuit board instaled. I made the circuit board with minimal effort. I did just 4 pieces and covered with colored paper.

Dsc05471.jpg Dsc05472.jpg

I have to do each part with care, because before I glue on the templates I must glue on each paint and scratches template too, this way I will cover every surface of the helmet. The next step will be the hardest of all: THE DOME. This has to be as perfect as possible and not to mention the paint templates for the dome...

Respect!

Looking really great. Instant paintjob, I like it. Hoped to have started on myself but real life is getting in the way again. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Looking really great. Instant paintjob, I like it. Hoped to have started on myself but real life is getting in the way again. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Thanks! Real life is on the first place and should ever be.

amazing work bro

Many thanks, boba68!

Yesterday and today I made the dome which is 95% done. Still need to do the dent and the front arrows, not to mention the paint and scratches templates to fit the dome's curvature.

I cut out the dome templates then glued the slices with duct tape from inside.

Dsc05473.jpg

Then I glued some thin cardboard strips on the dome frame this way the dome slices will have some extra support for the glueing process.

Dsc05479.jpg Dsc05478.jpg

Then I cut the dome in pieces containing 3 slices each, this thing gives me more accuracy with the assembly and glueing.

Dsc05482.jpg Dsc05481.jpg Dsc05480.jpg

I left the front right slice empty where I will do the dent. I printed a new set of the dome templates then I glued on the dome inverted, this way the printed outline is not visible and all dome cuts are now covered.

Dsc05483.jpg Dsc05484.jpg Dsc05485.jpg Dsc05486.jpg Dsc05487.jpg

I'm oscilating on how to do the dome paint scheme. I could do it directly on the dome template or I can do the small paints and scratches on the dome template then do the big ones separately then glue on to the finished dome. The second choice will be more accurate, but each separate scratch glued will have a visible contour...

Respect!

Today I managed to do the dent and glue in the remaining slice to finish the dome.

Dsc05490.jpg Dsc05489.jpg

Then I printed again the dent template and glued in inverted on the dent. The difference is significant.

Dsc05495.jpg Dsc05493.jpg

I got to finish the dome paint scheme and start to do the dome.

Respect!

I printed today the templates for the dome base color and glued on to the dome. Also made the front arrows then covered with colored paper.

Dsc05496.jpg Dsc05497.jpg Dsc05498.jpg Dsc05499.jpg Dsc05500.jpg

The result is very good in my opinion.

Respect!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back