Making the first Rafal Works Helmet

That's one pretty bucket and a great asset for people who are weathering a trooping helm. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Now on to the PP and ROTJ! hehe

That's one pretty bucket and a great asset for people who are weathering a trooping helm. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Now on to the PP and ROTJ! hehe

Thanks a lot! I might do a ROTJ paint and scratches scheme, but I don't know about any PP...

Respect!

Not like that , I mean you should use a solid material some thing that would last if it got wet

I could, but I did this helmet mainly to see if my templates are OK and to show to anybody who attempt this a how-to-do-it-yourself instructions. In my case, the helmet will be for display only.

I'm stuck already! Man, I suck.... No, but my question: during those first steps you glued the parts on pages 26-29 to get that cross-section-thingy, right? You said you glued them to the bottom of the dome base? What about the "Helmet base" then (page 30-31)? Should I just ignore that? Because the parts I want to glue to that dome base tells me they should be glued to the helmet base... Could you tell me what I'm missing? (I feel so useless XD)

I'm stuck already! Man, I suck.... No, but my question: during those first steps you glued the parts on pages 26-29 to get that cross-section-thingy, right? You said you glued them to the bottom of the dome base? What about the "Helmet base" then (page 30-31)? Should I just ignore that? Because the parts I want to glue to that dome base tells me they should be glued to the helmet base... Could you tell me what I'm missing? (I feel so useless XD)

While I didn't used the base template in this thread (because I was so eager to finish the helmet and I simply forgot to use this part) but in the Rafal Works Helmet Project thread you can see how it looks all glued together (this was just a prototype and for the moment just ignore the dome part, you will do that later).

Dsc05312.jpg

The helmet base part is made to give your helmet its distinctive shape while you will attach and glue the inner part and the face template, after that you will have to remove all inner parts, except the dome base ring

Dsc05445-a.jpg Dsc05452-a.jpg

Remember that I also used those paint stencils and the usual method wouldn't let me to do it right so I did my helmet in a different way. These are the correct steps (more or less): assemble the dome base with the inner helmet parts and the helmet base --> try on the inner helmet face (if this doesn't go around and don't close the open ends then trim a little bit from the edges of the helmet inner parts)

Dsc05445-b.jpg

--> glue the inner face around the dome base, then glue the face template to the inner face and remove all inner helmet parts --> cut out the dome base to form a ring around the helmet face --> cut out all the 8 parts of the dome part templates to form each of them a half ring --> glue the half ring dome parts to the dome base ring using the corresponding numbers (optionally you can glue some thin paper strips on the half ring edges to help you in the dome) which will look like this:

DSC05454.JPG

--> then cut out the dome templates and glue them from the inside with duct tape or glued paper strips --> (optionally) you can cut the dome templates in parts containing 3 slices each, this way you will achieve better results with your dome --> glue on the dome slices (but if you want the dent too, then don't glue the front left slice yet)

DSC05483.JPG

--> cut out the cheek parts and the cheek area from the face template, then assemble the cheeks (it's a bit tricky, but not impossible)

DSC05507.JPG DSC05524.JPG

Note: the lower cheek needs to be glued on a bigger cardboard to help a better assembly with the upper cheek

Image1.jpg

--> using the dome position template mark the dome form on the last dome slice and cut it out, then use the dent assembly template to do the actual dent (the red slices are from the prototype helmet)

DSC05339.JPG DSC05343.JPG DSC05489.JPG

--> glue in the dome slice and then cut out the front arrows using the corresponding template --> cut out the back of the helmet then assemble the rear keyhole template like this:

DSC05456.JPG

--> assemble the ears and the rangefinder parts using the method from the Rafal Works Helmet Project thread --> cut out the visor area then attach the visor in place (there are multiple methods: with screws, with hot glue, bolts and even partially duct taped) --> strengthen your helmet from the inside with fiberglass (or other methods ?) --> cover the helmet with bondo then sand it until your fingers bleed --> paint it with the color scheme you like --> droll and admire your own helmet.

If there is anything else you don't understand, just ask and I'll help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back