Body Suit Zam Body Suit

Ragresen

Active Hunter
Ok here we go to start a new topic for posting to the body suit info. The Vest and Bodysuit part had gotten long and well time to shorten it up some. So all future posts to it here please. I would like to take this chance to thank Zam I Am for all she has done and for listening to the suggestions of others like myself. Between the group of us a very authentic Body suit may come out of this for those involved.

Why tanks! :eek: :) -> seriously, the other thread really was long, plus, my leg was stretching the screen to far to the right.
:eek: eek!I just realized that people all over the web saw my leg close to 1500 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wookie,
Can you give us that info on lycra dying, like which manufacterer/company dyes the lycra and how much did they want to charge etc. We have about 48-56 yards to contend with if we decide to go with a white lycra and dye it to match DCB's pantone. I want to see how much extra cost this would be since it's amongst a whole group of people.

--------------------------------------------------------
Wow, I just called one company and they want an extra minimum order of $300 if we custome dye lycra. ouch. I'm just gonna keep on asking lycra companies to send me swatches, hopefully we can get a match.

Glomex:
800-882-9088

I think she got a bit frustrated with me, so I'm not sure how much help she will be.

Dan

oOPS, i posted my stuff under the wrong thread. Be sure to read about dcb's lycra color matching under the "our fearless moderator" thread.

I'm just imagining a gray suit with me trying to get people to shine purple light filters in my direction as I walk by. This is really a color problem. I wonder if the people at ILM purposely did this just to throw us off... :angry :lol:

Ok, here's the deal with the color, some people have pointedly made it clear that they want it dyed to the color that dcb is comming back from aussie with for the lycra, so, of course, it would cost more. I will be calling the two companies to find out how much exactly it would be to dye it. If I have swatches that are already that color, then that means cheaper cost for us, if not, then I think that-to not dye- the lycra would be a real misfortunate situation, ie, sacrificing authenticity for cost. I think most of us agree, voting on color would be a problem, and if we weren't going to be authentic about it, then why get the neoprene in the first place, right? So, the process for how this bodysuit project will go down, is, dcb comes back with the color, I try to match it with some of the swatches that I have, if it isn't close, then I will buy white nylon-lycra from a company and ship it off to have it dyed to dcb's color match. Then, after that it will be shipped to the neoprene company to be laminated.
Question for all of those in on this project: Matte-finish or shiny, and 2-way or 4 way stretch? (i will ask the neoprene company if this affects the bonding process) I know for sure that 2-way is cheaper, but, if we can't move in the suit, then it's not worth it. And, for those who want to join in to purchase the bodysuit fabric project, PM me before I order the lycra. I will quote an approximate price after dcb gets me that color.

Thanks wook for the company PHN#! They helped me out lots, they are going to ship samples to me on monday. It's a lot nicer to work with one company instead of 3. People in the bulk fabric purchase project-- if anyone has anymore imput as to whether the type of lycra has a specific finish, I seem to be running into the fact that it's probably going to be a nylon-lycra combo like 88% nylon 12% lycra laminated on neoprene. They have different thicknesses of neoprene too. 0.5mm on up. So, if any of yall have a change in thickness preference, let me know. The less thick, the cheaper, but we still want enough for a "bulk"+correct leg-crease look. The picture from the other company that i had dcb post earlier, is a lot larger thickness, either 1/16th inch or 1/8th inch. So, we could go afford to go smaller.:) The lady at the company also said that mostly, it would be a 2-way stretch costume. She said she worked on movie costumes before and most use 2-way stretch. It's also more cost effective. She said we might also consider having it double laminated with some cheap nylon on the inside so that we don't smell like a rubbery batman after wearing it. Just some thoughts. Anyone else have any?

Well I am ll for thinner the better. A word to the wise since I was a scuba diver that Neoprene does build and trap body heat. so the thinner it is the longer we stay cool in it. Also if we do a lycra on both sides go with black or a color they have readily advaliable for the back side. Makes it cheeper for us if they do not have to change things up a lot on their equipment.

so are you now looking at fully made costumes, or still bulk material that we would need someone qualified to assemble into a suit?

-cris

Well, currently, just the lycra-neoprene bulk material. We can't buy from lycra laminated neoprene manufacterers unless we meet a specific bulk quantities/or $$, so I am bulk ordering for those who pm'ed me. If people want to have a body suit made out of the lycra-neoprene material, my seamstress is offering up her services. She won't have time until after holloween to do the suits. (I can't even have the bulk material ready until after then anyway.) I am giving my seamstress all the posts regarding making the suit. Welt seams and all. Still waiting on DCB and swatches to compare lycra color that is supposed to be laminated to the neoprene.

Cris, does renaissance dancewear still have the pattern for Kim's suit? If we could get a copy, That could save my seamstress lots of time and everyone some money(for those who want a suit made by her.)

Regressen, Scuba-dooby doo! So, do you think it's a good thing to have it laminated on both sides? Oh, by the way, this two-way stretch neoprene is not the neoprene for swimming in, but still a hot'n'sweaty container for us. It's the less expensive type of neoprene.I should ask the company how we could wash the suit.

Moncal, what are you sorry for? :p

they probably do, but I'm not sure they'd give it away.

I guess you could always ask them. They'd probably remember Kim since they had such a hard time matching the color.

-cris

Well from what I know all Neoprene is a rubber based material. Yes laminated on both sides is best. As to washing it I would say we will either have to dry clean or warm wash and hang dry just like a wet suit. my wetsuit I would toss inthe dryer to cause it to shrink some as I wanted a tighter fit.

Moncal--
Bust'in rhymes eh? Heheh :) Need to form the starwars rap group alliance...
the perpetrator, was he who became vader
but little did he know that sideous, the mysterious
hired two hoods called jango and zam, who i am,
to kill at the senator, hard core
she had the bling bling, and anakin be her thing,
the story's still movin, the jedi still grov'in
but still gotta pay the fee, and wait for episode III

Peace out! (Gotta spread the cheeze..)

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back