yet another hasbro clone rebuild

Stunning! I never tire of looking at you build pics! ;)

:eek:

thanks! and just for that, here's another!

3145866381_0df1666fab.jpg

i trimmed out the helmet and got the base paint down. i'll probably wet sand it and give it another coat for good luck. heck, i don't even know what i'm going to do with it when it's done, but i wanted to finish one up.

the biggest liberty i took with accuracy vs. troopability was to make the neck ring large enough that most folks can fit it over their heads without cutting. so you get the look of a lip around the edge, but don't need to cut anything up. this will let folks take them on and off easily, but still preserve that look reasonably well.

i'm also going to whip up a little resin mouth detail to make that part more accurate. as i'm working on the helmet, i'm learning more about the movie ones, and tuning things as i go. as always, nothing is ever "done"

As a proof of concept / promotional image, I did a REALLY quick paint job on one of the AotC style helmets.

3153279938_230d1904f6.jpg

3153280750_2c5e45f2ff.jpg

3152444475_9c4e75819c.jpg

3152445355_e5bd71f6d4.jpg

3153283344_3479ac10e6.jpg

Base paint is... stupid. So I painted it black first, thinking that it would be cool to have scratches show through like that. Not thinking that usually I'm using a base of primer for plastics. Well, the black didn't bond so well to the unsanded, unprimed helmet. That's issue #1.

Issue #2 was that I grabbed the Gloss White instead of Matte White (the aforementioned primer for plastics is what I usually use as the finish coat). So now I have a layer of years old gloss white on top of the black that isn't bonding.

So I sanded it down a bit, and put my matte white on. With all of these layers, I had orange peel, spots that wouldn't cover, etc... Whatever. It's going to be weathered anyway.

Grey is rustoleum grey primer. Black is more of the flat black that didn't bond to the helmet all that well.

Weathering is a mist of american accents fossil (a beige sort of color, the one I use on the back of an ESB Fett bucket), then acrylics daubed on like I did for Rex, but in shades of brown rather than greys. I went heavy on the rusty colors, in honor of Geonosis.

Visor is dark green, since that's what I had. You can't really tell even up close, so whatever.

Vents and teeth are cut out, and filled with black window screen and black nylon.

It's not padded for wearing... just a square of foam in the top to make it sit nicely on a stand. It could easily be made wearable, but I'm not planning to do that, so I didn't care much :)

So there you go, that's what one of these things look like finished up AotC style.

Have to agree with all the other comments...fantastic job!!!

I had heard of some Kelloggs conversions that turned out really nice but I truly didn't think it could be done with the voice changer Clone helmet...

Wow!! Keep it up - g

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back