Would like opinions and tips on my helmet

Ah , I'm thinkign of gettign the gauntlet pieces from ebay aswell...

so is fierfek on this site or no?

It was either on this site or therpf.com. I grabbed PEPs for the helmet, armor, back pack, and gauntlets. I can post a link later once I get my youngest daughter to bed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

It was either on this site or therpf.com. I grabbed PEPs for the helmet, armor, back pack, and gauntlets. I can post a link later once I get my youngest daughter to bed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

hehehe, cute, btw do you remember about how much bondo you used in total after you were done?

sweet!

Also, did my second coat earlier, sanded aswell, I'd say a third coat is in order for the dome...

Yeah, I thought I would never get mine smooth. Just when I thought it was good, a coat of primer would show a ton of flaws. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Yeah, I thought I would never get mine smooth. Just when I thought it was good, a coat of primer would show a ton of flaws. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One_M8

How many coats did you give yours? :p

oohh, wouldn't the primer screw it over aswell? like, make it not stick, don't you have remove it first?

How many coats did you give yours? :p

oohh, wouldn't the primer screw it over aswell? like, make it not stick, don't you have remove it first?

You lightly sand the primer afterwards, which smooths it. We are going for a matte finish so it works out fine.

Once I thought the helmet was smooth, I have it a cost of primer. I would fix any blemishes and primer again until I was happy with the result.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

You lightly sand the primer afterwards, which smooths it. We are going for a matte finish so it works out fine.

Once I thought the helmet was smooth, I have it a cost of primer. I would fix any blemishes and primer again until I was happy with the result.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Yea but how many coats did yo ugive it in the end? xD

Oh also, beleive it or not, I have just found out somethign I have been doing wrong.. when applying bondo i was using a bend applier and I applied it top to bottom, where as I should have have used a straight applier and should have done it from side to side... no wonder the hollow areas were hardly filling up, gonna fille em up tommorow, end see if it has improved

Yea but how many coats did yo ugive it in the end? xD

Oh also, beleive it or not, I have just found out somethign I have been doing wrong.. when applying bondo i was using a bend applier and I applied it top to bottom, where as I should have have used a straight applier and should have done it from side to side... no wonder the hollow areas were hardly filling up, gonna fille em up tommorow, end see if it has improved

I probably gave it 3 or 4 coats of primer in total before I painted the silver. Some coats covered the entire helmet, some were only the areas I was fixing. On the bondo front, it's definitely an art. I think I did a combination up/down and side to side, depending on the area. Mostly side/side though. I'm not sure how something so aggravating can be so fun!

I probably gave it 3 or 4 coats of primer in total before I painted the silver. Some coats covered the entire helmet, some were only the areas I was fixing. On the bondo front, it's definitely an art. I think I did a combination up/down and side to side, depending on the area. Mostly side/side though. I'm not sure how something so aggravating can be so fun!

Fro mmy perspective its more of a street with no end xD I mean look, after a third coat and some sanding it doesn't feel liek i'm getting anywhere with getting it round and smooth

IMG_20150208_170804.jpg IMG_20150208_170822.jpg

maybe i'll go ask animefan for one of his kits..blah

Fro mmy perspective its more of a street with no end xD I mean look, after a third coat and some sanding it doesn't feel liek i'm getting anywhere with getting it round and smooth

View attachment 84720 View attachment 84721

maybe i'll go ask animefan for one of his kits..blah

It looks like you need more sanding than filling of low spots. I used a small hand-sized power sander (Black & Decker Mouse) on mine. I would take the perimeter of the dome (where it meets the sides) down to the paper and work from there. A good 80 grit sand paper should cut through it pretty quick.

It looks like you need more sanding than filling of low spots. I used a small hand-sized power sander (Black & Decker Mouse) on mine. I would take the perimeter of the dome (where it meets the sides) down to the paper and work from there. A good 80 grit sand paper should cut through it pretty quick.

Ahh, currently I am trying to patch it up abit, only the top 2 rings needed some extra filling wich Idid ealier, after that I bssicly patched it up here and there, but ill try what you said, also, I sand by hand... I use a sanding block and I only have ... 100 120 and 150 at my disposal currently

wooh, asked a few friends, one of them also doing props, showed them my sanding work earlier and they said it looks almost good to go ( referring to patching up those areas of course) but I might do some, cause I said I kinda want some battle damage on it, so some of those areas kinda provide texture make it look more authentic? Thats an idea anyways... lemme know what you think

IMG_20150210_142406.jpg IMG_20150210_142429.jpg

wooh, asked a few friends, one of them also doing props, showed them my sanding work earlier and they said it looks almost good to go ( referring to patching up those areas of course) but I might do some, cause I said I kinda want some battle damage on it, so some of those areas kinda provide texture make it look more authentic? Thats an idea anyways... lemme know what you think

View attachment 84811 View attachment 84812

Everyone's taste is different. I prefer it to be smoother, but that's just me. I say hit it with a coat of grey primer and see how you like it. The imperfections will be more obvious. You may like it, or you may be like, "Oh god that needs more sanding." You might try a filler primer like this one: link

Everyone's taste is different. I prefer it to be smoother, but that's just me. I say hit it with a coat of grey primer and see how you like it. The imperfections will be more obvious. You may like it, or you may be like, "Oh god that needs more sanding." You might try a filler primer like this one: link

holy hell xD I called 3 DIY shops for that stuff, not a single had it, in a last resort of brilliance I called a store for cars andstuff and luckily they had it, ill go pick it up later, will post results...

ps: a friend I talked to told me to use normal putty as the stuff I sue wich is polyester polyester putty wouldn't be strong enough apparantly... I thought thats the same as bondo?

ALright! I got the spray putty, applied a coat.. aaand I tihnk it still has too many imperfections... so now what? Doi just keep giving it a coat of filler after the previous has dried till the imperfections are filled?

ALright! I got the spray putty, applied a coat.. aaand I tihnk it still has too many imperfections... so now what? Doi just keep giving it a coat of filler after the previous has dried till the imperfections are filled?

I would go down the sanding route as it looked fairly thick in the picture. Filling would go quicker

Sent from my HTC One_M8

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back