What goes inside the helmet, and how?

SigSavage

Hunter
HI all-

Just plugging away doing my research and I can't seem to find an answer for this. Maybe because it's so simple, most people here consider it common sense? lol

I see that there are some really brilliant ideas that people have come up with to make their helmets really awesome. There is the moving RF with LEDs, the fan kit to keep you cool, the hearing aids and mics to help you hear what people are saying, and a voice modifier. On top of that, I imagine you will need some kind of speaker system so people can hear you talk. And then of course some kind of cushioning or hat band or something to make the helmet fit comfortably on your head.

So my question(s) is what do you use for all these components, and how do you fit them in the helmet? I'm going to be getting animefan to do a helmet for me when he gets time. I'm guessing it will be the FP one that he took over the production of (because it's larger than the economy one to fit stuff into?). So, I know that there is a servo kit and LED kit for the RF. I have seen pictures of people with the fan kit and the lining of a hard hat that have been put in. But how do you put all that stuff in there, with the voice stuff? Where does it all fit? I have looked for a thread detailing how to set up the inside electronics of the helmet, but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really gonna depend on what you want to put in it and what you have room to put in it.
Mine is not done yet, but my Jango lid will use foam vs a hardhat liner, and two fans. There's a decent amount of dead space in the helmet for average head sizes.

1. Depends on how much real estate is available. My TK helmet is so small (or my head too big...lol) that I can't even fit fans in there properly.

2. It's all a matter of choice, really. You don't need to put any of that stuff in if you don't want to....as long as it stays on your head. Put some padding or a hard hat liner in there to keep it on your noggin. There really isn't much to it.

3. Comfort is extremely important. I might try to get away without having fans in my fett helmet, so that there is room for the RF servo....but it doesn't get overly hot here so I don't have to worry about 30 degree heat (celsius).

4. The hearing aid I would need to try out or see it in action before I would invest. The speaker system normally sits in one of your side pouches, not in your helmet, so there is some space saving right there.

I was thinking of using evolution pads or similar from a donor Riddell football Helmet(s).

i just have foam in mine. I just have a strip across the forehead area up to just past the temples, a thinner strip along the back going the same way, and one across the top going front to back. the thickness of all of these was made to have the hemet sit where i wanted it. I also had 2 fans kind of in the temple area but they didnt do much so i took em out.

The voice amplifier isnt necessarily IN the helmet. Most of us use the Aker amp, which you can put anywhere on your suit (i have mine in one of the hip pouches on my ammo belt) and all you have on your head is a mic that sits on your head similar to headphones. There are wireless systems that have alot more to add into your helmet and that may not all fit in there. all depends on how big your head is or small your helmet is lol.

1. Depends on how much real estate is available. My TK helmet is so small (or my head too big...lol) that I can't even fit fans in there properly.

2. It's all a matter of choice, really. You don't need to put any of that stuff in if you don't want to....as long as it stays on your head. Put some padding or a hard hat liner in there to keep it on your noggin. There really isn't much to it.

3. Comfort is extremely important. I might try to get away without having fans in my fett helmet, so that there is room for the RF servo....but it doesn't get overly hot here so I don't have to worry about 30 degree heat (celsius).

4. The hearing aid I would need to try out or see it in action before I would invest. The speaker system normally sits in one of your side pouches, not in your helmet, so there is some space saving right there.

Could you link me your thread(s) on your voice changer and audio issues you mentioned in jendor's thread please? I think I would like to for sure have a set up where I can hear better (using an Uproar kit) and have people hear me better, using the Aker. I would like to use a voice changer program as well, if I can swing it. I think these are more important than a fan system right now, considering where I live. Although it *can* get quite hot in the summer here, as short as it is.... lol. I believe I'll be getting the servo RF installed, so I doubt there will be room for the fans. I'd have to see a picture of the servo kit in there, to see if the fans can also go in. I could at least get one on the Left side if needed.

From what I can tell, the Aker system is pretty straight forward. I have an iphone 4s and found the program jendor is using. I figure I could put the phone in one of the pouches and run the mic wire to it. Just have to play around with the program to convert my Canadian prairie accent lol. Not too sure yet how to use jendor's profile as a starting point and alter it from there. Pretty cool little app tho :D

thanks again.

This is the research that I did on the Voice Synth app: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/what-you-guys-using-voice-changer-49732/?highlight=voice+changer

The initial experiment was to find a voice changer that was cheap and effective compared to other voice changers. Since most people have an iPhone, i figured it would be a good choice. Most voice changer apps are speak, record and playback, but the Voice Synth app was awesome because it plays back live.

The main issue that I had was that I was using the wrong splitter. I used a cheap $7 splitter from Futureshop that didn't cooperate with the iPhone jack. The $28 splitter from KVconnection works perfectly. I don't know what Jendor used, but I don't think he ran into the same problem.

The uproar kit sounds like a good idea, but I've seen some that had to drill holes into their helmets for it to work. Not something I would consider lightly.

The new JC27 servo kit is a low profile RF servo, so I'm hoping there will be room to spare.

This is the research that I did on the Voice Synth app: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/what-you-guys-using-voice-changer-49732/?highlight=voice+changer

The initial experiment was to find a voice changer that was cheap and effective compared to other voice changers. Since most people have an iPhone, i figured it would be a good choice. Most voice changer apps are speak, record and playback, but the Voice Synth app was awesome because it plays back live.

The main issue that I had was that I was using the wrong splitter. I used a cheap $7 splitter from Futureshop that didn't cooperate with the iPhone jack. The $28 splitter from KVconnection works perfectly. I don't know what Jendor used, but I don't think he ran into the same problem.

The uproar kit sounds like a good idea, but I've seen some that had to drill holes into their helmets for it to work. Not something I would consider lightly.

The new JC27 servo kit is a low profile RF servo, so I'm hoping there will be room to spare.

Awesome stuff. Thanks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back