W.I.P ESB Boba's armor

Hi, so I started removing the masking fluid but it really didn't work right... The yellow and green came out with it so now all the details are ruined and I will have to redo everything... It's really demoralizing, Any advice on what Latex masking fluid to use and how to remove it properly?

What you’re describing is common when painting on top of silver or chrome paint. In order for subsequent layers to stick and not peel off, you need to do a little prep work. When I spray silver I let it dry completely for a day or more, then wipe it down with a damp soft rag to remove any surface residue. Then I airbrush Humbrol Satin Cote to “seal” the silver, and when that’s dry I polish the surface with #000 steel wool. I had to redo the back panels on my helmet after some problems with paint peeling and I’ve found this process helps. I also airbrush in several thin layers to ensure the paint is adhering and curing.

If you’re determined to paint it yourself, you can do it. It just takes some trial and error or you need to take the time to test your process so you don’t lose hours of work. You can do it!

What you’re describing is common when painting on top of silver or chrome paint. In order for subsequent layers to stick and not peel off, you need to do a little prep work. When I spray silver I let it dry completely for a day or more, then wipe it down with a damp soft rag to remove any surface residue. Then I airbrush Humbrol Satin Cote to “seal” the silver, and when that’s dry I polish the surface with #000 steel wool. I had to redo the back panels on my helmet after some problems with paint peeling and I’ve found this process helps. I also airbrush in several thin layers to ensure the paint is adhering and curing.

If you’re determined to paint it yourself, you can do it. It just takes some trial and error or you need to take the time to test your process so you don’t lose hours of work. You can do it!
It seems I'll have to order a lot of new paints, It's so disappointing after reaching exactly the green I wanted.. I'll start over!

It seems I'll have to order a lot of new paints, It's so disappointing after reaching exactly the green I wanted.. I'll start over!
Sorry for the setback. I’m sure we’ve all had ours. I know I’ve had my share. It’s very frustrating for sure. Whatever you do, don’t give up. You’re doing awesome work. I found it helps to take a break from it, especially after a setback and then come back to it fresh.

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the tips and support haha, I took some time off of it and started the peeling process again in a different way (just rubbing my fingers kn the armor carefully).

I still need to take some of the small portions off but I ended up with something I'm really happy with!

The only part I will be working on again is the right panel's dent... Shouldn't be too hard.

Should I use the humbrol seal once I'm done to seal the whole thing?

Attachments

• 05B1D299-8D93-4C50-9321-5C8E5FBB16D0.jpeg
    05B1D299-8D93-4C50-9321-5C8E5FBB16D0.jpeg
    983.3 KB · Views: 159
Hey everyone! I'm finished with painting the chest armor and almost done with the shoulders.
I need your help on how to attach it! I'm thinking about using snaps/studs but after looking around and trying to find some on amazon I have to admit I'm lost...

If anyone has used some that work great for them please send me a link!
Thank you so much!

So I ordered the studs and formed the back plate which was pretty difficult! I'll be painting it this weekend and attaching my armor next week! I'm so excited!

I also decided to paint my guantlets with the ROTJ colors as they're the mold for this movie and not ESB unfortunatly so I'll be doing the Battlefront 2 look untill I sell them to get the ESB ones!
C97F5EC0-4364-4557-8081-4EA23717EB78.jpeg
EDFAC0AC-C62E-490C-A78A-5DDB0D6B4FB1.jpeg

I attached the main armor, I still need the electronic display, I need to attach the shoulders and cent piece and finish the paint!

I think I did a good job on the placement!

Attachments

• C559C9EB-68FD-4DDF-B1E6-B4761CB89469.jpeg
    C559C9EB-68FD-4DDF-B1E6-B4761CB89469.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 55
256434D5-8F9A-4767-BF7D-4D3F1691CFFF.jpeg

Here is the finished armor! some small details to fix but it is ready to put on a stand and in my collection!

Attachments

• F72BA9FE-47F8-4A44-A8FD-B24EE42138D8.jpeg
    F72BA9FE-47F8-4A44-A8FD-B24EE42138D8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back