Vacuum Forming Table

CombatBaby

Well-Known Hunter
Couldn't find a helpful thread on this, soooo

Just got a quick question on peoples' current vacuum forming table set ups.

This is both in regards to the oven and the forming table.

My set up is now closest to the Thurston James model, though I have tried other set ups.

My question:

How thick have you guys made your forming tables/ boxes?

right now I have a lot of void and I am thinking about making a new one for stronger pulls, mine are fine now, but they could be 'perfect'.

Also, does anyone use a riser for their oven?

I've had to watch real closely with my oven when forming bigger parts (ones that will take up most of the forming table. Simply because the corner heating is essential so it usually takes longer.

Several smaller parts I can get away with degree differences between the middle and edges, since they don't have much length width or height.

I'm thinking a riser around the edge will allow the plastic to droop even more without hitting the oven coils, and because it will be softer because of this will get a better pull before cooling.

Any threads, links, or feedback is greatly appreciated. Just like to hear other peoples experiences, especially with similar set ups!

Yeah, I've thought about dropping the grill part down a bit to facilitate a quicker drop.

To answer your question about how much I let it droop down--depends on a couple of things: First--how thick is the plastic I'm heating? Second--how deep is the mold I'm using? For my Phantom masks, I generally let it go about two inches down. Depends on how fast it heats up. Once it looks like it's starting to droop faster, then it's time. Kind of hard to describe though. It can take a little bit to heat the plastic thoroughly since, as you pointed out, so much heat does escape. I still need to bypass the thermostat to prevent the darn thing shutting off on it's own.

I have found that it needs differing amounts of droop based on the mold though. I was trying to make mini Phantom masks a while back, and I let it droop 2 inches, but then I got creases in the masks because it had too much droop.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

wow asok, those plans would be fantastic for some larger set ups. i see they formed automotive parts in the pictures at the bottom.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back