TRamp - For Fett's Voice Box

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Fellow Fett's,
Regarding voice boxes, I see that TRamp gets mentioned alot and was curious if anyone here has had any recent experience with them, does it work well? Mounting it, custom speaker attachments, different options, etc. I'd like to think I can produce the Jeremey Bulloch voice (Though I'm no Seth MacFarlane or Mel Blanc). Or if there is something better than the TRamp.

Thanks,
-Iron

I have a TRamp and really like it. Several club members have them as well and are happy.

The unit will have many characters loaded, and you can switch to them. Each will have preloaded sayings that you can trigger if you use the finger-button option. I don't use this part yet, but I think it's worth it. You can also switch on background tracks or static burst. I had an Aker before.

I've got the TRamp as well and I like it quite a bit. It took a while for mine to come in due parts availability and backlog, so just fyi. The amp itself in no way produces any voice modulation or effects, it is strictly a voice amplifier. It does come loaded with a ton of character clips, loops, etc that can be tripped with a key fob or buttons. This function works very well and I'm extremely pleased with it. I'd say it's completely worth the money.

Hey guys,
I work in Telecom and during a purge of some phone equipment (was recycling some Mitel 5330e IP phones) I thought I might try to see if I could extract the speakers from the speakerphones, and I was able to (See pic below). Has anyone custom wired a couple speakers to the TRamp box (Unless there is an optional "Output" on the box) and then to their costumes for further amplification? Or do those of you who have the TRamp box feel like the quality of the volume is good enough. Not being an "Audio Guy" here is what I know about those speakers I pulled out of those Mitel phones.

Manufacturer: Stetron
Model: P0050025
Size: 50mm
Height: 23.5mm
Impedance: 25Ω
Power: 0.5w/1.0w
Fo: 270Hz
SPL: 89dB

Mitel 5330e Speakers.jpg

What are you guys' thought? Think it may be something to look into?

Thanks,
-Iron

I can say confidently that the box puts out ample volume for convention trooping. The only drawback is the bulkiness of the box itself. But even that isn't too big a deal, fits perfectly in a hip pocket.

I will say however, that when I talk to people with it, or burst audio clips, that people will a lot of the times look down at my waist where the sound eminated. I do wish I could make the audio come from my helmet, or at least my chest, there's just no space. If you figure out another way to work with the TRamp, please let me know, I'd be very interested.

Hi Steveboski,
Yeah having the sound coming from my hip pouch, and having the person I'm speaking to look at my waist (and kinda confused no doubt) is not what I'd like. I'm looking to maybe find some super small but powerful speakers to toss behind my chest armor in some fashion. I'll letcha know what I come up with.

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
All,
I talked with the folks over at TRamp and they say they can absolutely do a "Speaker Out Option" off the box. It'd be in the form a 3.5mm jack (Mono) The speaker they say would have to be 8 Ohm. I'm presently hunting for a speaker that may do the trick, my thought is to sew in a mesh pocket for the small speaker on the outside of the flight suit, which then gets covered by the vest. You'd then sew in a few small pieces of velcro straps for wire management leading down to the hip pockets to hook up to the TRamp - and leave enough slack to allow for flexibility/movement. Obviously I'd be looking for a super low profile speaker, that's powerful enough to do the job - yet not noticeable. The one thing TRamp did say is to be careful not to have it too close to the microphone as there could be feedback issues. Something like this.....
Boba Fett - TRamp and Speaker Idea.jpg

Whatchu guys think?

Thanks,
-Iron

Attachments

• Boba Fett - TRamp and Speaker Idea.jpg
    Boba Fett - TRamp and Speaker Idea.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 406
That sounds great. My first question would be is he going to use an existing connection on the current board for this output? I already have a unit so I'm curious if I could just add my own output.

Let me know what you find on speakers, and do you plan on rigging up a low profile box of some kind for it? Not really up on this stuff, but I've had trouble with speaker volume when not in an enclosure of some kind.

That sounds great. My first question would be is he going to use an existing connection on the current board for this output? I already have a unit so I'm curious if I could just add my own output.

Let me know what you find on speakers, and do you plan on rigging up a low profile box of some kind for it? Not really up on this stuff, but I've had trouble with speaker volume when not in an enclosure of some kind.

Hi Steveboski - I talked to TRamp about simply not having the speaker in the TRamp box at all and go primarily with it hooked up to the external jack (which also saves on weight of the box too.) TRamp seemed pretty good about doing custom stuff. Not sure how that would look - if you already have the unit. You might reach out to TRamp to see if you can send it back for custom work? (Unless your savvy in doing this kind of stuff)

For the speaker, I was looking at the PUI Audio ASX05408-HD-R speaker, looks to be low profile enough with measurements of: Length=1.57", Width=1.57" and Depth=0.78", I had asked TRamp about this speaker and they said it would be perfectly fine. Concerning an enclosure, It looks to me like it is already self-enclosed, which is a good thing. (See Below)
Speaker.jpg

Again my thinking is to sew in a mesh pocket on the outside of the flight suit, and drop the speaker in it. Which then gets covered by the vest - my hope is, that the volume will be loud enough to push through the vest, yet still sound decent. My thinking there is that folks already stick the TRamp/speaker box in their hip pouches, and the sound having to travel through the pouch and from your waist to the people you're interacting with (Which again is kinda goofy - and why I'm pursuing this) and still sounds ok. That having the speaker up higher and behind only the vest - should be similar.

Thanks,
-Iron

I'm considering an application like this and am in discussions with a few vendors. How did this ever turn out, Irongladiator? I'd be interested to see if you were able to make the application work with smaller speakers in the vest.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back